Mac Binary Release - Page 14

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Moop

Post by Moop »

I'll most definatley help you test it. :) I haven't had much luck compiling the code myself >_>
Smilesalot

Post by Smilesalot »

elio, will mac users be able to play with windows/linux users as well?
Moop

Post by Moop »

Hey Elio I just wanted to give you the error message I get when I try to run the current version on my G4. I use terminal and do "open ...../SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/SpringRTS"

I get the following error..:

$ ........../SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/SpringRTS; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: /./././././usr/local/lib/libIL.1.dylib
Referenced from: .........../SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libILU.dylib
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

Smilesalot wrote:elio, will mac users be able to play with windows/linux users as well?
Elio will be able to answer more specifically for that for the long term.
At the present, this build is only able to play with computers with similar CPU architecture (i.e. PowerPC macs with PowerPC macs etc.)

I am fairly sure that cross-platform/CPU play should be possible, given the existence of a mature Linux distribution (though I daresay I'm probably confusing endian-ness with Kernel types). However, I believe that Elio has accounted for all the technical issues and it now comes simply down to a large amount of work.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Would spring work on the MacBook with a "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950" ?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think if you can support OpenGL shaders, possibly, but not very well. What is that, a 32 MB graphics card, integrated?
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

I don't know if that will work but you might as well try it. The cpu will be fine but the slow hard drive and usually low ram might get you. You might want to max out the ram as it is shared with the GMA if it needs more than 64 MB. Considering the number of other games that the MacBook can handle (if not well then barely) and that Spring can be more CPU than GPU heavy it should work to some extent. Tell us how it goes.
Smilesalot

Post by Smilesalot »

i have a macbook as well and its 64 mb, i play warcraft 3 so i dont see why it wont play spring. It seems it should run just fine.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Warcraft III is about as demanding as an SNES emulator...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I've looked several times...intel graphics on a mac do not have (official) drivers available that support ogl.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Are there any good unofficial ones?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Not that I've seen...
elio

Post by elio »

with intel integrated graphics, it's a maybe; it'd probably work fine with low graphics detail.

regards with cross arch playability; the biggest challenge that's to be worked on is to get the numbers in precise enough sync; g5s working with g4 only instructions would give a mostly fine result, and does allow syncing quite nicely; though the downside is you lose about 20% of the optimisations that the g5s have. intel to ppc will be a challenge, especially regarding floating point as they have completely different methods of calculating a result, which while minor in theory, (relatively) slowly has the game drifting out of sync. Ignoring the sync checks (and resulting errors as to provide an overly simplified example), you'll have one computer thinking the AK's in perfect line of sight, and pummels it, while the other thinks it's out of sight behind a rock. one computer thinks there's no ak, the other thinks there is. Expanding out from that, you'll end up playing two totally different games.

basically one has to get the numbers as close as possible on each arch to sync with, so yes, eventually there will be, but just getting spring playing happily with the same code base is the priority atm.
Jaho101

Post by Jaho101 »

When will you possibly have a build that can run in multiplayer with PPC to PPC connectivity?
Moop

Post by Moop »

Lol, I'm just waiting for the G4 build :D
Erom

Post by Erom »

neddiedrow wrote:Warcraft III is about as demanding as an SNES emulator...
Funny thing, I have both installed on an old Mac laptop and... this statement is literally true. They're within the same ballpark.
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

Jaho101 wrote:When will you possibly have a build that can run in multiplayer with PPC to PPC connectivity?
If you're referring to just the spring application, this is already possible. However, they need to be launched with a script which can get a little technical.

In order to run spring on a mac like on the PC version with the lobby client so one might be able to play on the internet with ease, this version will need to be connected (for want of a better word) to one of the lobbys (AF lobby possibly).
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Erom wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:Warcraft III is about as demanding as an SNES emulator...
Funny thing, I have both installed on an old Mac laptop and... this statement is literally true. They're within the same ballpark.
I usually don't joke around about these things. An SNES emulator has to simulate a very specific chipset, which takes a comparatively large amount of resources to do effectively.
pen15pL34z0r

I DONT NOSE WHTS GOING ON?

Post by pen15pL34z0r »

Kan soomeone tell me xpected tyme of ubar kool MAC voirsion release of springy! kay thx ^o^
semi

Post by semi »

desertlynx wrote:In order to run spring on a mac like on the PC version with the lobby client so one might be able to play on the internet with ease, this version will need to be connected (for want of a better word) to one of the lobbys (AF lobby possibly).
We need a person with problem solving skills, who has a mac and is capable of developing on it, to sort out some problems in SpringLobby.

None of the SpringLobby Team members has a Mac, so it is hard for us to fix the small number of issues that currently prevents usage on Mac.

Contact us!

Return to “Mac OS X”