Where is Brazil? - Page 2

Where is Brazil?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Where you think Brazil is?

In Africa
No votes
In Asia
1%
In Europe
1%
In America
79%
In Oceany (not sure if this is how you say in english)
3%
Somewhere else
15%

Total votes: 78

manored

Post by manored »

America is the continent. Using America to refer to the country is a bad habit of the whole world... :)

As far as I know America is considered a single continent, while "South America", "Central America" and "North America" are subdivisions.

In portuguese its Brasil, but in english its Brazil. Since we are talking english I said Brazil.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

"America" is not a continent. North America is a continent, South America is a continent, and Central America is a region comprising of small amounts of both north and south America. Considering "America" to be a continent has been out of style for nearly 100 years. The land mass isn't even attached any more.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

IMHO America as in one of the Americas is fine, just not obvious.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

SwiftSpear wrote:"America" is not a continent. North America is a continent, South America is a continent, and Central America is a region comprising of small amounts of both north and south America. Considering "America" to be a continent has been out of style for nearly 100 years. The land mass isn't even attached any more.
Continents are terms of convention... "continent" is not a strictly defined word. For example, Britain and Ireland are considered part of Europe despite not being attached to Europe. Heck, some geographers don't consider Europe to be a continent but rather a region of the Eurasian continent.

Basically... a continent is whatever you want it to be.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

America=The only landmass on earth above sea level.

USA=Where the good guys live.

(enter non middle eastern country name)=A state or location within the USA.

(enter middle eastern country name)=A rebelious region that should be occupied with democratic brute force.

Russia=Other planet.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

That's not really all that correct at all. If you think Americans think that way, you are sorely mistaken. Because, amazingly enough, America is populated by more than just one person. And have you ever gotten people to agree on anything more basic than "The sky is blue"?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

tombom wrote:It's Brasil in Portugese apparently but in English it's Brazil.
Oddly enough, it is "Brasil" in «standard» portuguese (Portugal and the other african countries) but it is "Brazil" in brazilian portuguese.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i always get a kick when people generalize americans

generalizing 300 million people is really, really, really fuckin dumb
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

hunterw wrote:i always get a kick when people generalize americans

generalizing 300 million people is really, really, really fuckin dumb
Yeah but elections provide really good statistics.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

KDR_11k wrote:
i was going to type a well-thought out reply to this, but it is a waste, so let me be comparatively fucking retarded so you can see how dumb what you just said was:

good job electing hitler
Last edited by hunterw on 27 Jul 2007, 11:37, edited 2 times in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

hunterw wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:
i was going to type a well-thought out reply to this, but it is a waste, so let me be comparatively fucking retarded so you can see how dumb what you just said was:

good job electing hitler
We're just rounding up the last few of those idiots. When will you start cleaning?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

KDR_11k wrote:
hunterw wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:

good job electing hitler
We're just rounding up the last few of those idiots. When will you start cleaning?
what had to happen to your country to get that started?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Oh, losing a major war, being conquered by two superpowers, getting bombed into the stoneage, the usual deal.

(if you can't tell I'm not entirely serious, of course I know only half the voters voted for Bush)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

If you go by the amount of transsexuals then it's clearly asia.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Germany had no choice but to elect hitler, the allied powers forced them (under threat of total destruction) to sign away every hope they ever had of ever being an independent country again. The Treaty of Versailles was a humiliation no country could bear for any period of time. The "first" and "second" world wars were one incident, not two - the first one never ended. Now, WWI... if I remember my world history correctly, Germany was being ruled by unelected individuals without the consent of the populace in general, so I don't think we can blame them for it either. At least at the end of "WWII" the new allied powers had a brain between them and didn't basically just keep going "quit punching yourself, quit punching yourself" at the peace negotiations.

Electing someone out of starving desperation is nothing compared to re-electing someone out of... what can that even possibly be called? A guy virtually personifies "gross incompetence" and spends more than half his term on vacation, and the people say "Hey keep up the good work"? I have no words to describe that. I would have completely lost all my faith in the USA if it wasn't for the fact that the election was only "won" by virtue of ancient rules that say "people from thic state are worth more than people from this state"... electoral college, what a dumbass idea.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

Well in the second election Bush got the popular vote, though of course there are hundreds of conspiracy theories.

Kerry was close to winning the presidency without the popular vote, because of Ohio.
manored

Post by manored »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
tombom wrote:It's Brasil in Portugese apparently but in English it's Brazil.
Oddly enough, it is "Brasil" in «standard» portuguese (Portugal and the other african countries) but it is "Brazil" in brazilian portuguese.
WRONG! :)
Its Brasil on brazilian portuguese too.

And yeah the Democracy from USA is a bit weird. If each state haves a vote, doesnt that means that a state with 1 person would have the same electing power than a state with 100.000.000 persons?

Think im gonna travel to USA, form 51 new states, put a person loyal to me living on each and then try to become president... :)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Manored, that isn't the way it works. If you would like me to explain, open another thread on the subject elsewhere.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Caydr wrote: Electing someone out of starving desperation is nothing compared to re-electing someone out of... what can that even possibly be called? A guy virtually personifies "gross incompetence" and spends more than half his term on vacation, and the people say "Hey keep up the good work"? I have no words to describe that.
I have one... "Lulz!"
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Keithus wrote:America=The only landmass on earth above sea level.

USA=Where the good guys live.

(enter non middle eastern country name)=A state or location within the USA.

(enter middle eastern country name)=A rebelious region that should be occupied with democratic brute force.

Russia=Other planet.
I lolled IRL

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”