Fun:TA v18

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Fun:TA v18

Post by Forboding Angel »

Fun TA - Put together by Forboding Angel

This mod seeks to bring nothing but amazing fun into TA gameplay. Based mostly on OTA:CC with help from BOTA.

v16-18 changelog---

Weasel/jeffy damage reduced a little bit more, they were a bit more effective that I intended
Lots and lots of cosmetic changes
Nuke completely rebalanced, it is now a true nuke weighing in at a metal drain of -300 and energy drain of -1500... Don't drop it near anything you care about
Stunner/Neutron facilities cost drastically reduced, missle cost and buildtime drastically reduced, provides another base busting tactic
A few other odds and ends, base file is no longer needed, it's all in one big package now.

v15 changelog---

Weasel/Jeffy damage reduced.
Gator/Flash damage very slightly increased.

The render that I have been using for Fun:TA was one that was made by a guy named "Ender", a long long time ago. I did not know who made that render until recently, and to avoid any possible future friction, I have removed it.

v14 changelog---

Found a particularly bad mistype in the llt's on both sides, fixed, they now have more sight range and 400 hitpoints.
Found and fixed a few other various things. Thanks to Sleksa for bringing the AK's to my attention. Watching that replay made my balls hurt. Can anyone say "Imba"?

v13 changelog---

AK rebalanced, it is now truly a scout unit. Can be used for small raids, will not be quite as useful in large groups anymore.
Fixed core croc not being able to exit factory.

v12 changelog---

Turned the freaker/zipper into fast attack units (I do mean fast), moderate damage, low hp. These are for raids of undefended territory, if these are run into defenses they will die horribly.
Defenders/pulverizers balanced VS ground
Fixed a bunch of little things

v11 changelog---

Changed the role of Jeffy/Weasel to be a fast attack beam laser vehicle. Slowed it down, has longer range and more health. You can actually include them in your unit groups now to good effect.
Fixed certain units not showing up in core build menus (most notable-Missle defence).
I fixed a LOT of small background things.

v10 changelog---

Added in techforges
Fixed storm/rocko balance, reduced speed very slightly (to the point you probably won't notice).
Fixed a lot of little misc stuff

v9 changelog---

Fixed minor imbalances concerning flash tanks and gators, changed up their weapons a bit, emg fires faster now, will not be as effective alone anymore (this goes for gators and flash tanks).
Slowed lv1 missle trucks slightly so that other units of the same level can actually catch them.
Fixed an accidental mistype in gaat gun/sentinel weapons files.

v8 changelog---

Fixed nuke
Added BA buildpics
Doubled golli reload time, doubled damage (makes it serve as more of a backline unit now)
Added moveerror to llt's and gaat/sentinels
Lowered pyro damage (made a slight mistake before)

Misc odds and ends tweaks

---

No more sluggish units
Sumo/can changed to more fit their original primary goals
Golli is now a specific unit killer, small aoe, nice rate of fire, good damage.
Reaper/bulldog change to fit better with their original intend goals
Penetrator no longer sucks
Mobile arty, long range, decent damage, High Area of effect
Gaat Gun/Sentinel moved to lv2 changed accordingly to fit this role - Rapid Fire
LLT made to fill the LLT shoes and those of the Gaat/sentinel, this is your main line defensive placement - Rapid Fire, low damage. Where one is good, 10 is better.
Diverse unit grouping is now FAR superior to simple 1 unit spamming
Unit costs reduced to what should be their original TA values (tweaks here and there).
Factory costs cut by 2/3rds at lv1 to encourage more diverse unit groups, lv2 factory costs remain the same
Fixed unit and ship movement, they respond much more nicely now than any other TA mod in spring

This mod is a hell of a lot of fun, I strongly encourage you all to try it out. Unlike what the name might suggest this is not a "For Fun" mod, just something I've been meaning to do for a long time and finally got around to it. Anyway, give it a try! Let me know if you come across any bugs/imba (think I've caught them all but you never know).

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is one unit in this mod that sucks. Let me know if you disagree and we'll confer Razz

Have fun!

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

300 metal drain? How does one support that?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well chapparal did it by reclaiming wrecks. I did it by taking over lots of territory. KAI(my ally) did it and blew up half my base in the process lol.

Remember that the storage buildings hold about 6 grand apiece and are very cheap. The best thing to do would be to build lots of storage.

The nuke is a base killer. Recovering from one will be very hard if not impossible.

They do build as fast as the original nuke tho, so assuming you can mass the resources, it's quite doable.

Also there is the fact that nukes can not be shot down anymore.

It is not supposed to be easily obtained.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

So... 180 seconds at 300m/sec... 54000 metal.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

actually
m: 60000
e: 330000
knorke

Post by knorke »

np: Fu Manchu - Its all the same
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Huh? :-)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

TA Mental kicks this mod's ass.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

got your pm peet, wise guy eh? :lol:

you guys realize that the primary purpose of this mod is single player with kai right?
knorke

Post by knorke »

you guys realize that the primary purpose of this mod is single player with kai right?
how would we be supposed to know? ;)
I think it will be very hard to compete with the other "big" TA-based mods, ba, aa, xta.

"XXXX changed to more fit their original primary goals"
how often have you read this in changelogs? ;)
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

First he tells me he won't involve himself with Spring any more and now he pops in his own mod. :lol:
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

hmm dont use that nuke on an 8x8 map 8)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote:
how would we be supposed to know? ;)
I think it will be very hard to compete with the other "big" TA-based mods, ba, aa, xta.

"XXXX changed to more fit their original primary goals"
how often have you read this in changelogs? ;)
Well, I originally had stated it somewhere in rather large print, but it must have gotten lost in the translation somewhere.

About changelogs... That a really good point knorke. Well let me explain it in these terms. Cavedog designed units to have relatively specific roles right? I think we can all agree that ota was balanced so that many of those roles overlapped to the point that building one or 2 different units was as good or better than building all. Basically I changed thing so that mixed groups are more effective.

Examples:

Weasel/ak together
Works really well because weasel has long range but short sight, ak is basically the opposite, but the ak is a bit faster. SO if you put these 2 in a raiding group you can do some really good resource raiding. Weasel damage is pretty low, and even with that group yesterday it took some serious micro and doing to kill a lone warrior, but as you can tell, mixed, those units work very well together.

Gator/raider
Well, the gator is a wee bit faster, but has lower dps overall and less hp, whereas the raider has a pretty high dps and much better armor. THe raider weakness is when things get close to them, which is where gators come in. Gators not only serve as great chump blockers, they perform really well when close to a target. Generally fire will concentrate on the gators while the raiders stay relatively safe and pound away.

Basically, to nutshell it, when you put all these combinations in large mixed groups, you get a much more effective unit group. For example, because of the massive los that ak's have, they are always a really good choice to include in a unit group.

one more example,
Cans and sumos
Well in ota, if a sumo or can could get in range generally unless there is an anni or several hlts around, they take a serious amount of killing while they do tremendous damage. Well in funta, they aren't all that effective by themselves. They need to be grouped with other units as well as multiples of themselves. Figure that when you put one can/sumo with 1 more, you boost your effectiveness by about 25%. They run on the same principle as llt's, where one is good, 10 are better.

Hopefully this helped clearify things a little bit. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Btw tim: funta has been out for some time now...
Abokasee

Post by Abokasee »

Peet wrote:TA Mental kicks this mod's ass.
First time this has been posted on the Forums,

BTW im working on 0.99 or a possible 1.00
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Epic sarcasm :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'm not sure if that is FTW or FTL hehehe :lol:

BTW any of you that have tried it out... Any thoughts? Did I break the game with the neutron/stunner missles etc?

BTW also, I'm thinking about giving the comm a short range anni beamlaser, and a paralyzing dgun (removing the original d-gun -- could paralyze anything, including a krogoth). Also, I think I'mma change it so what when a comm blows up, it is nuke sized, but a paralyzing explosion (bout 30 seconds or so).

Comments? THoughts?
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

With only 300? This is madness!

¬_¬
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

-You, mex over there, what is your profession?
-Err Cookie baker, sir
-And you?
-i maek nuke

-MEXES OF COMPLAND WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?
-HAO HAO HAO

You see, i brought more econ than you did

Return to “Game Releases”