Alright..

Alright..

Discussion between Spring developers.
Tim Blokdijk

Alright..

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Lets see, the long awaited 'private' development sub-forum.
For those that did not follow the discussions on the forum and mailinglist, the intention is to provide ourself with a place where only contributors can discuss things. The advantage is that all important discussions can be tracked here and contributors don't need to read all the remarks in the rest of the forum. Also more controversial discussions can be done here without uninformed gamers dropping in derailing the discussion. Technical discussions about stuff that that needs the eye of the person that actually wrote the code for it. And project roadmap, goals and other strategic discussions can be done here.

The first problem we (I) have to solve is "who gets the right to post here". (And possibly, how do you lose it.)

I added people that have an active SVN account and made commits to SVN in the last months.
I intend to add mod developers as a second group to the list, but I still looking for objective criteria.
Like providing your work under an open source licence.
As only people with SVN commit access can post here atm I don't expect a full discussion about it, but I would like the input from those that can post already. Especially Arch and Foe as they are mod dev's with commit access.
I might open up a new topic in the public mods sub-forum to publicly discuss criteria, but not right now.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I just updated the list of people that have access here, though I'm not sure that will actually make this forum useful.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Chalk me up as another mod dev with commit access. :-)

Hopefully this sub forum will be a useful ground for discussion without the flamewars that plague the public sections.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

The private development sub-forum...
We can move the "new site" stuff over here but it's not that the current topics about it are derailing or something.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I don't have commit access, but can post here 8)

As for flamewars, gee, it'd be nice to just talk about what I'd like to do, without a huge spotlight being focused on every nuance...

I guess I'll start another thread here about the open-license FX stuff that I was hoping would make the final cut in this build, and we can talk about it. I did have a plan...
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Oww, you don't have commit access?
Why not? You should have a account to update NanoBlobs..
I understand Kernel Panic is open source to, so I guess I will have to pick up on that content development with revision control stuff. Only problem is that I have a site to finish and I have to do some other non Sping related things after that.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I just found out that this forum is really private, not even viewable for public. Was it ment to be like that or is it a bug in the configuration?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I did not make (as in I requested its creation, I did not create it in the admin panel) this forum so I don't know if it's intentional.
Would be quite a laugh if you would make this forum visible to the public now as I just had this heavy discussion with AF today via e-mail about the use of read-only and private forums. :-)

I would like to make this forum visible to all but read-only for non-contributors. Like that mapping forum, but what do you guy's think?
The first post in this topic is still up to date and relevant so if there's someone that likes to comment on it?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Not that I expect any public uproars (mostly because this subforum isn't very high-traffic, tech/dev talk mainly takes places in Development as is), but odds are that if you make it world-readable you'll get the occasional stray topic should something be discussed here that other people have particularly strong opinions about. ;) Sort of a displaced bikeshed effect, although either way I doubt it matters much.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Well if someone has a nice new colour for the bikeshed we can give them posting rights here.

I committed a document to svn with a site development process if we (the webmasters) agree to use it this forum would probably see some more usage.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Tobi wrote:I just found out that this forum is really private, not even viewable for public. Was it ment to be like that or is it a bug in the configuration?
I was looking around in the moderation panel and I see that I can change the group type myself, I think I will change it once we had some experimentation with the site development process. So you can scrap this from your own todo-list Tobi. :-)
[EDIT]On second thought, "Group type" might not be the same as the visibility of this forum..[/EDIT]

Oh and I added SwiftSpear, I would like to add all forum moderators but I don't know who are moderators.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Tobi can you make this forum viewable for public? If you haven't done that yet.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

k done
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If we're going to make this viewable to the public I'd strongly reccomend making it postable too.

Return to “Dedicated Developer Discussion”