Core morty replacement.

Core morty replacement.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Core morty replacement.

Post by smoth »

Click image for larger picture)

No this isn't really an invite for opinions or that I am really looking for a critique. Frankly I am posting shots as I move through it because I love when others do this sort of thing.

anyway, here is the first shot, the model is uv mapped and I did a nice ray trace for you.

Updated shit:

Click for larger image.

Gold varient

texture link
files and stuff
Last edited by smoth on 06 May 2008, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

MULTIKILL.

I like it, you've cleaned it up as expected, and it still feels like a Morty.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

even though you aren't asking for opinions, I'm going to give mine anyway! as I predict everyone else who posts here will do also.

It's good quality wise, but it doesn't really feel like a morty, when I think of a morty it's more of a small kbot with one long gun for an arm, this is sort of the opposite, with a large body(in scale anyway, you know long legs, buffed etc.) and a moderate size barrel.
smoth

Post by smoth »

macio, it is not like I cannot extend the barrel later.. also fail for thinking that I would change what I am doing :P. The morty is not a small kbot, he is kinda a fat little kbot with one arm and a useless second arm. I removed the second arm because It was only there for aesthetics.

Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I always look at it like this:

that'd explain it :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

(click for larger image)

Ok, here is a colored version, I now have details and other greebles etc to do. So yeah, there you go current progress.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

looks good.

(lol I was nice to smoth)
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

poor bastard needs a prosthetic limb

hes probably suffering from gulf war syndrome as well
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

jackalope wrote:I was nice to smoth
it is cool I have my bad days to man.

edit: yeah it looks pretty cool.
tinnut

Post by tinnut »

The model looks great. I look forward to seeing it in future games.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

The little arm is highly amusing looking. I suggest you have it spin around the x-axis at a high speed at all times.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

My concern is that it doesn't feel as stupidly unbalanced anymore.

The morty was extremely assymetrical, and that's what I loved about it. Your unit looks a lot more realistic, but has lost some of the character of the original design, I think.

Also, (and no unrelated to my earlier point) I think the barrel needs to be a bit longer, and there needs to be some geometry given over to acommodating the massive kickback of cannon at the back of the shoulder.

Also, he legs seem a bit tall, and look a bit gundamish, and less kbot-ish ;)

Still, it's not a bad model, my criticisms lie mostly with the 'feel' of the design.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am at a stoping point tonight with half of it textured. I really like where this unit is going. oh well here is the last shot for the night:

(click for larger image)

Now it may not look like much but as I said half of the uv map is done, I may well finish this unit by tomorrow night if there are no rl(TM) issues.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Meh, better then the OTA model.
To bad likely no major mods will take the effort to implement it...
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Keep the barrel smaller. Mortars generally dont have huge long barrels. I never liked how long Morty's looked before.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The longer barrel and the bulky asymmetrical torso are what make the morty what it is. When I initially looked at the model untextured it looked more like an arm unit, and reminded me more of a maverick with an odd arm.

Havign said that the texture is the only thing shifting it from arm to core, and I've never been fond of the yellow camo on the morty, something I wish would have the redux treatment (Oh god theres a big giant morty coming at me, oh wait its just a small lob of yellow camo its nothing to worry about GRAAAAAH BOOOM BANG eeek why didn't I recognize that giant metalic monstrosity.)
quantum

Post by quantum »

chillaaa wrote:Mortars generally dont have huge long barrels.
The Morty never had a mortar. The name is just a trick to confuse those gullible Arm meatbags.

Looks great :-) I agree with increasing the gun size though. Bigger guns are never a bad thing 8)
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol, I don't care what people do to the proportions after I get done but I like it as it is now.

(click for larger image)
Here are a few different angles in orthographic mode. Enjoy. As I said, these proportions are staying the same. Odds are I may tweak them when I am done but at the moment They are staying this way.

as a note: the red from here on out represents team color
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

You could texture some lens or targeting device on the right arm-stump. This could make sense.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

How about the head from Argh's peewee?

I'm only joking guys, don't hit me!

I think the stump looks fine as is.

Return to “Art & Modelling”