Mac Binary Release - Page 11

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Erom

Post by Erom »

Question: do AI dll's need to be recompiled to run on the mac build? I'd assume they do, since downloading new AI's seems to crash spring on my compy. And yeah, I did try renaming them as dylibs.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

*_*

A hint: Mac OS is unix based not windows based, its like a linux distro thats been very heavily recoded with most libraries, programs, bootup system, filesystems, drivers, and window kits all being custom made by Apple, and then worked on for decades, its like an 95% total rewrite behind the scenes.
Erom

Post by Erom »

I know all that. In fact, that's why I asked: I fully expected that windows-compiled ai dll wouldn't do squat with OSX, but I just wanted to make sure.
elio

Post by elio »

Nah, they have to be recompiled from source.

Once the stupid postal service works here, we shall have a synced and up to date, complete install (only probably minus mods/maps; might include one map and or mod).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

aflobby needs a new java unitsync too
Erom

Post by Erom »

Elio, what do you use to compile on a mac? I'd love giving a shot at compiling stuff locally, maybe I can start to tinker with the source as well. For now, I'm happily awaiting the snail mail.
elio

Post by elio »

AFLobby doesn't want to recognise the java binded unitsync. A straight compile in's not working.

scons and xcode I use.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The java bindings changed:

http://www.darkstars.co.uk/randomfiles/

Also make sure you're using alpha 20 or later.
Mike

hi

Post by Mike »

Hello,

sorry to be a pain, but I can't seem to get taspring to install on my MacBook.

Are there simple instructions anywhere that I can follow?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Mac support is somewhat patchy atm as we have few people on Macs that are able to actually stay on the forum regularly, they have a habit of dissapearing for weeks at a time after 2 or 3 day visits.

Your best bet for spring atm is bootcamp/linux/VMWare.
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

At the moment it seems the dev responsible for getting a functioning port to mac (Elio) has been unable to continue for the time being.

As just a tester for Elio I can attest for there being a functioning universal binary release of spring for mac, however, for the time being network play is limited between computers with the same architecture (i.e. intel macs with intel macs and PPCs with PPCs). moreover, such network games must be initiated with considerable (beyond me) command line skill.

so in short, I play actual games with bootcamp (I've got a 50/50 partition) and do a little testing when required on mac.

EDIT: if you want to get a test build, I can probably upload what I have somewhere, I cannot remember specifically where I all the different parts to it.
elio

Post by elio »

Okay peoples; we have build 3814 in progress, we have one lua compiler error to sort out and a bug in the floats. Probably a dozen or so endian issues too, but I let that be found once I release. have an updated unitsync so I'll see if it solves our past issues on that front too. ETA about a fortnight (or less hopefully).
elio

Post by elio »

oh, yep, I'm alive; with (slightly) better net. :P
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

elio wrote:oh, yep, I'm alive; with (slightly) better net. :P
If you finish this, it will double the casual gamer potential of Spring. How many university students have free time? How many are strapped for cash because they decided to pick up a Mac laptop? I rest my case.

Good to see you back.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And how many will be clamouring for a copy of java unitsync?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

AF wrote:And how many will be clamouring for a copy of java unitsync?
All of them so your lobby will work? I assume?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I've yet to see any reason why not save that nobodies compiled the new java unitsync for mac yet.
grzywa

Post by grzywa »

YaY !

good to see the port is alive and kicking :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'd like to see some patches for svn and standardization so at some point svn will be used for mac.

Stuff like the settings stored in an xml file changing to use the same method as linux instead, which would mean when I implement settings in aflobby for linux I dont have to mess with xml (AF hate XML, AF put off XML for years, XML settings mean AF no implement, GRAH).

Moving to svn would also reduce the possibility of you dissapearing meaning mac is borked. You could just popin before a major release and say OK if it all works.
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

Good to see you're still going strong.

Return to “Mac OS X”