Excessive detail - Page 3

Excessive detail

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Any reason why GTS and 640 MB are marked in yellow? Like, you have a GTX but forgot to tell? Or the 320 MB variant? Just curious...
AF wrote:I got Vista free with MSDN Academic alliance, and I'd advise anyone else who can get their hands on it do the same.
Shame on you if you bought it retail. It's good to have some friends who study. 8)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Just to draw attention to caydr that I do indeed have an 8800.

It was in reply to:
Caydr wrote:
AF wrote:Geforce 8 series and Radeon r600 series cards arent brilliant. The drivers just arent upto scratch.

Says the guy who doesn't own one (but wishes he did!)
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

yeah, ok, so well... Caydr, u making nice units? :D

That would be a great conclusion of this thread. How's GEM or any other mod your working on atm? Can you provide us with some screens that show how nice it can be? :wink: :lol:
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

btw i personally think that uberleet gfx carsd are unnecessary to most people after you're a bit above min specs. i dont need max particeles to kick your ass.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

smoth wrote:774, that is also counting all the 3 sets of treds used for animation. rails etc:
(click for larger image.
smoth wins
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Caydr wrote:Image
smoth wrote:Image
Yes, smoth wins. By quite a margin, too.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe... so even though he say ::: ITS NOT TEXTURED::: about 7 times, instantly you say smoth wins becasue... guess what, his IS textured.

So how smoth suddenly wins by a margin I realy dont know. I doubt his tank would look any better f it was just a refelctive blob texture wise.

This all comes down to you wanting to fault caydr, when you could insted notice the positive fact that he has actully modeled somthing with resonable use of polies for his game.

aGorm

(and befor someone say's yes but he could use less... sure. There are a few areas that he has a few wasted faces. I wasnt sayin he hasn't.)
Last edited by aGorm on 19 Jun 2007, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

He actually said it 10 times.. Literally.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

For what that is, aGorm, I don't think it is a reasonable use of polygons. I'm only a mediocre modeler at very best, but I think he could get that down to eight hundred with little difference in appearance.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe, I edited.

I wasn't saying it was perfect, becasue hell, there are errors. That wasn't the point of the post. The point was, taht if someone othe rthan cyder showed that model people would not have taken tha tatitude to it, and most people would not have bothered trying to find the "wasted polies" so a stop catch him out, and the truth is, seeing as it is caydr's model, It's kinda odd thats no ones gone, WOW hats loads better than your 20,000 polies per a model days.

I just hate seeing people bash stuff for the sake of old grudges. Especily when half the comenters cant frigging moddel them selves. (And if everyone thast comented can, dam well prove it and do some.)

aGorm
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

aGorm wrote:Especially when half the commenters cant frigging model for themselves. (And if everyone that commented can, damn well prove it and do some.
+1

(Don't mind me cleaning it up some >.> )
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

aGorm wrote:This all comes down to you wanting to fault caydr
No, actually anyone beating smoth at anything brings joy to my life.

Of course, I was just judging "who made the cooler tank with roughly 900 triangles". I dunno about the rest.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I prefer smoths simply because its a better tank design. The sharp thing on the sides of caydrs tank just make the tank look strange, although texturing may make them better aesthetically fixing the issue.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

smoth's model looks better
caydr doesnt know how to texture proerly, i mean jeez

caydr, flip top half of the tank around. it looks weird and unbalanced right now.[/list]
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i like smoths flash a lot

i also like the flash in CA, but i duno who made it
DemO

Post by DemO »

Dragon45 wrote:smoth's model looks better
caydr doesnt know how to texture proerly, i mean jeez
[/list]
LOLOLOL.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Of course comparing a textured to an untextured model is unfair but then again comparing untextured models for something liek this is silly anyway since the texture will often include crucial detail.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

To be brutally honest, Caydr's model looks like something I would have modelled six months ago before I knew anything about optimization.

edit: or good design
Last edited by Peet on 19 Jun 2007, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Then why dosnt someone show him how to optamise it... cricky.

aGorm
knorke

Post by knorke »

Cadyr's tank might have rounder edges or whatever but smoth's tanks has more details like the pipes and the shape is more interessating. (i dont mean details on the texture)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”