Repulsing Tower... :D :D :D

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Well I took the Tesla tower from TLL and made it into a Plasma Repulsing Tower.

Now I have a video, but before you watch it, keep in mind I wanted to show it in action. Also watch how fast my 900K of energy vanishes, so it's quite well balanced if used in a normal game, if I had two of these towers besides eachother, the energy would drain twice as fast.

Not only that, but a well aimed rocket will obliterate the tower :-D

http://www.epicedit.com/repulsetower.avi

-Buggi
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I think that might be using up a tad too much energy... Honestly, think about how often you see 900,000 energy of storage in your average TA game that drags on a little. Yeah... not often. And I saw a -75,000 there at one point... no normal game income on earth could support that, except maybe an old school epic PD game between Gnugs 315 and 825 :P

I'd say make the cost for both building and operation comparable to the OTA Targetting Facility, maybe a tad less. Armor should definitely remain low, but not too low. It takes about 7 level one bombers to kill a level two factory in one pass (assuming they all drop their bombs and they all hit), so it should probably have a little more health than that, for one reason: You're likely going to put this unit on the outskirts of your base to try to get it to not reflect shells into your own territory, or in the heart of your base to protect fusions etc (however, the area it covers would probably only cover enough spaced fusions to power itself, negating its usefulness there). Since it's going to be out there, relatively in the open, defenses (especially air) aren't going to be ultra immense and deep, so you don't want it to succomb to a last ditch bombing effort with a rag-tag team of bombers with nothing to lose and everything to pro...I digress. Basically, it should take at least 8-11 level one bombers with 100% accuracy all dropping their loads successfully to kill it; combined with common strats like mstore shielding, FARK guarding, and/or fort wall shielding that should provide it sufficient health to be considered balanced.

I'd say the defense range in that video is pretty good.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Actually, put it in perspective. In my test I had hundreds of plasma shots going directly at it, this isn't what usually happens in a game. So having a few in your base with someone lobbing shots at you will consume energy, but that's the point.

And it has 2 repulsers actually. One is the one you see in the video. High radius fairly low force. The other is a very small radius but exceptional force (and 10 times the energy). So if something is moving fast enough and is directly at the tower, your energy will drop by 5K or so from one shot, but it'll really be able to protect itself.

That being said, the bomber attack you mention would be pointless. Bombers use plasma, and the "bombs" would be instantly deflected. That'd make for a great video! :D

The main repuler is set for 25 energy use. Meaning 25 energy, per shot, per second.

Now we just need rocket repulsers. :twisted: I'd call them Guidance Scramblers. :D

-Buggi
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

You mean like the missile forgets its target and goes off in a random direction?
Laser repulsers could redirect the laser to the normal of the side of the repulse sphere.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:You mean like the missile forgets its target and goes off in a random direction?
*nods*

Sort of like using the "force" on a missle... just have it forget wtf it's doing and do a couple loops and hit the ground.

And I want to exclude the LR missles. Just the shorter unit fired ones. Long Range missles should still require the anti-system to be effective.

-Buggi
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

finally i got new idea ! mines that throw units and "bullets" in air when detonated :-) shockwave mine ?

ok it aint that good idea but its something... AND I WANT THAT TOWER NOW SO I CAN START DOING SOME TESTING ! ! !
gimme that NOW MISTER
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

yeah could someone please post a dl of the repulsor unit @ FU!
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Oy, guys...

here:

http://www.epicedit.com/RepulsingTower.zip

Even includes the textures used.

Enjoy

-Buggi
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

ooh thank you...
gonna have some fun now :arrow:
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

umm... where do i put the file and where is (whit what unit?)it built?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually that isnt that bad an idea masse, trampoline mines, whose purpose is to rocket units into the air and not destroy them, letting the ground impact do the damage and pushing them away, they'd be small cheap and have a small radius but be built in large numbers, and would ahve to direct their force into a very focused area under the unit without terrain dformation.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

lol nifty idea alantai, and (kinda) on topic :D
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Actually that isnt that bad an idea masse, trampoline mines, whose purpose is to rocket units into the air and not destroy them, letting the ground impact do the damage and pushing them away, they'd be small cheap and have a small radius but be built in large numbers, and would ahve to direct their force into a very focused area under the unit without terrain dformation.

Could be hell on maps whit bridges over water.

Pushin units out in water = instant death.
Have a series of these mines and your goliaths will be sinking to the bottom of the sea. Bye 1 mine :/

I would like the paralyser wepons fixed, to make a paralyser mine. No damage, but the victim is paralysed for 5-10 seconds. a lone bulldog goes near one, paralyses for 8 seconds. Egnuff time for the atlas to lift it and take it out to sea^^

And plp would maybe hate that mine 2... who knows?

(and i still wanna know where to place the file)
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Any one seen something like this http://www.fileuniverse.com/?page=showimage&ID=655 happen when you build multiple repulser towers (look for the plasma shots in the middle of the sky)[/url]
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Lots of times, it's when the shot is deflected but the velocity doesn't allow it to escape the massive amount of shields you have set up. So they just "settle" at the lowest point they find, like water in a pond.

You have to destroy one of the towers, let them fall, and then build it again. Otherwise they'll just consume energy.

-Buggi
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Would it not be possible to code a repulser unti that took advantage of this, flinging them at enemies? Or even scooping them up in some multiple repulser bay trapped, where they then get dropped above an enemy like bombs? Balanced byt he fact that entransit it would be very expensive energy wise.

Very iffy to script though.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Is this only possible with plasma right now, or can the repulse be aimed at units/the ground?

I'm looking to make a unit that jumps, I was thinking that a repulse weapon fired at the ground would do it.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

The other solution is to make a plane, like your scout, a repulser and fly that around the cluster of plasma... giving them a nudge.

-Buggi
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Oh.... my..... GOD it's so fucking cool!

( just got it to work^.^)

Really cool, i mean.. wow....

*goes trys aging*
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

*drools* someone make that cool plane! is flak classed as plasma? coz i can see how phoenix's could be made MUCH more usefull...with a repulsor instead of a llt on top :) :twisted: hehe

Return to “Game Development”