S:44 Dump

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Dumping a load of S:44 screenshots and stuff... pimp it.

Last edited by SpikedHelmet on 25 Aug 2007, 23:20, edited 13 times in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Thank you. Saves me some time.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Saves you some time from what...?

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Photoshopping images to advertise the game.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That last texture isn't as good as the other ones done so far, I think. It looks like it was rushed out a little too quickly.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

It's for a tiny friggen little tankette. I'm not going to waste my time on some shitty little unit. I focus my efforts on bigger units.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Zsinj is offering...
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

The bigger units will look worse for it, though. An extra 30 mins putting some detail and a better base texture would be all it'd take; you can fake it pretty well using bevel/emboss and various other filters.

But eh, up to you. If it's just a shitty tank that you can't be bothered putting any more effort into, don't put it in screenshots ;)
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

It's a small tank. It'll probably have its texture reduced to 256 anyway.

Thought this was a cool shot.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

if only infantry could dig trenches :P
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

lol, for a moment I thought you were being a smartarse and showing me a screenshot 'without the tank'. Then I saw the infantry ;)
DemO

Post by DemO »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:if only infantry could dig trenches :P
Couldn't this be done with spring? The commander has a restore terrain feature after all that manipulates terrain back to a flat, so clearly units CAN manipulate terrain.

Wouldn't it be possible to have a similar feature where the terrain is de-restored (or dug trenches into) or is it limited to restoring to flat ground?
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

LuaRules: Spring.AdjustHeightMap(x1, z1, x2, z2, amount) ;-)
Magus_X

Post by Magus_X »

trenches? OH NOES FRENCHS WILL SPAEM THEM!1!!!111111!
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

How about roads that give a typemap style speed increse?
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Deathblane wrote:How about roads that give a typemap style speed increse?
Made by engineers? Cause those roads there already give speed increases. But building roads, and building typemaps, eh, probably not.

It would be cool to dig your own trenches, though. Very cool.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

DemO wrote: Couldn't this be done with spring? The commander has a restore terrain feature after all that manipulates terrain back to a flat, so clearly units CAN manipulate terrain.

Wouldn't it be possible to have a similar feature where the terrain is de-restored (or dug trenches into) or is it limited to restoring to flat ground?
it could be done by having a very short range, invisible weapon with a small blast radius that very slowly deforms terrain. in 30 seconds it could make a trench sized hole.

the more important question is, in game terms would trenches do anything? infantry are probably too small for it to work
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
DemO wrote: Couldn't this be done with spring? The commander has a restore terrain feature after all that manipulates terrain back to a flat, so clearly units CAN manipulate terrain.

it could be done by having a very short range, invisible weapon with a small blast radius that very slowly deforms terrain. in 30 seconds it could make a trench sized hole.

the more important question is, in game terms would trenches do anything? infantry are probably too small for it to work
I'm pretty sure the only real use of trenches is that (if infantry had higher slope-tolerance) they'd be good barriers to keep tanks from crossing. Obviously not the desired effect.

Getting proper trenches that infatry can hide in for cover is much more complicated. The only real use I've seen for digging a hole is to hide high-trajectory artillery in it.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Well, yes, currently those trenches do block vehicles but can be traversed by infantry. The problem is that its hard to get infantry to *stay* in the damned things. IE they must be set to not move, and thusly must be facing the right direction. Its all a bother... then it doesn't help *all* that much.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

If tanks could crush the infantry in the open, then trenches would help much more. Crushing can be done with some sort of invisible short-range weapon that is set to target infantry only, has very fast reload and kills a soldier in 1 hit.
Tanks should be able to crush other light units too, like (light) AT guns and probably trucks.

Return to “Art & Modelling”