Spring:1944 dev and testing - Page 15

Spring:1944 dev and testing

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Zpock

Post by Zpock »

FLOZi wrote:Sherman armour isn't actually that bad; comparable to a T-34/76 and much better than a PzIV - but german guns were way better, and obviously the Panther/Tiger/Tiger II presented a greater challenge.

Anywho, I got bored. gimmie a break if I missed anything, (like the headlight) I haven't modelled in ages.

Soviet T-60 Light Scout Tank

Go with 8sided (or maybe 10-12) on the big wheels.

6sided: 20triangles
8sided: 28traingles

It's worth it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Considering the size of this thing in game, it really isn't - it's really no bigger than something like the Greyhound
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

You can't afford more than 6-sided wheels but you make this tiny tiny little pipe over the back of the tank... FREAK!

Anyway, as Chairman of the Ministry of Graphics I decree that no wheel shall EVER be less than 8 sided!
Dash_Riprock

Post by Dash_Riprock »

I have to agree- 7 or 8 sides would be better. I dont know why no one ever uses odd numbers of sides for round objects-I find they work very well.

Also, its no big deal really, but it was actually intentional that the BA-64 model only had one headlight and none on the right side. Cut production cost, I guess.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think the six are perfect.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

SpikedHelmet wrote:You can't afford more than 6-sided wheels but you make this tiny tiny little pipe over the back of the tank... FREAK!

Anyway, as Chairman of the Ministry of Graphics I decree that no wheel shall EVER be less than 8 sided!
That's a good point.. What are you? The soviet minister of models? :lol: :wink:
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Snipawolf wrote:
SpikedHelmet wrote:You can't afford more than 6-sided wheels but you make this tiny tiny little pipe over the back of the tank... FREAK!

That's a good point.. What are you? The soviet minister of models? :lol: :wink:
I am infact!

And yeah, I know the BA-64 had only one headlight. I think I'm having a problem with stuff mirroring ingame. So I have to model and put units together in mirror form now...

Preliminary Russian stuff; Barracks, Vehicle and Gun Yards.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

SpikedHelmet wrote:I think I'm having a problem with stuff mirroring ingame. So I have to model and put units together in mirror form now...
I noticed that, too. When I import my model into Upspring (or even old 3DO builder), the model is mirrored along left-right axis relative to what it was in my modelling program. Quite inconvenient when I try to model something asymmetric.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

But the pipe owns!

Fine, I'll bump them up to 8 sided. They'll probably only be the same size as a PzIv's ingame though :P
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Double post ftw. 1100 tris :roll:

SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Then Pzr IV shall have 8-sided wheels as well!

Anyhoo, finally skinned Dash's model:

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

it would be cool to put in some kind of supply line system.
is it possible to allow a structure to only be built on metal spots? or define its workerspeed by the metal spot it is placed on? atm there is no feeling of supply lines, and there is centralised bases. if you had to decide between income and more factories, and your factories were spread out meaning units needed to be organised sufficently before sent to battle..
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I hear with LUA scripting anything is possible... but the demand on the scripting would be immense and more than likely we'd end up with, at best, an akward, half-complete system that was more confusing than efficient...
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

By the way, we can deployments now, something that would work very well here methinks
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

Guessmyname wrote:By the way, we can deployments now, something that would work very well here methinks
as a suplimentary game mode that would be utterly cool. :!:
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

That would be awesome, actually, to make pre-set bases and defensive lines and armies... mwahah!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Soon you'll have some maps for scripted missions, hopefully.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Considered contacting these guys about a collusion?

Even though it's intended for an FPS; cut out some of the smaller detail and you'd be sweet. Convincing them would be the hard part ;)
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

There's such a massive difference in detail level that it would be easier to just model the stuff from scratch than to go through and try to slim down those.

At least, I would think that's the case, looking at their work. FPS art and RTS art have rather different goals and guidelines, I would imagine.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

All I can see is dropping the detail like the axes and handle bars etc, and simplifying the wheels.

I think the hard part would be getting them to let you use their models, which is probably heaps more unlikely.

Return to “Game Development”