Gundam 1.1 - Page 12

Gundam 1.1

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

FLOZi wrote:Smoth:

S:44.

'Logistics' provide energy. Essentially representing Fuel, ammuntion dumps etc.

They chain explode.

Reasonable, no?
smoth wrote:anyway, unless it is refueling depot or some sort of nuclear reactor most of the stuff in gundam is pretty blowup safe.
seriously... dude read the post.
smoth

Post by smoth »

j5mello wrote:- need more com sharing matches
I have been asking to do one, I would like to focus on just base and unit construction and allow someone else to attack the enemy just to see what that would play out like.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It's not like building destroyers are unrealistic, either. In WW2 the various assault guns and even the IS-2 tank were designed for busting fortifications instead of tank to tank combat (although they'd often work for that too). Nowadays we have different types of ammunition in the tank depending on the target but e.g. artillery is still going to do worse things to "soft" targets than tanks.

Also if we argue realism, no architect in the world would build buildings that chaindestroy each other if one fails, if in doubt he'd just require a certain minimum distance.
smoth

Post by smoth »

So you think the damage modifications could be a good thing?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Of course. As long as it's clear which weapons have them. Although I thought you already used damage modifiers considering how atrocious the damage of e.g. beamrifles vs. buildings is but then again they seem to have crappy damage against anything...
smoth

Post by smoth »

They have low fire rates to reflect limited ammo and the pilot's using the ammo sparingly. One of the draw backs of the beam weaponry is that the technology is new and ammunition is quickly depleted thanks to the lack of a better ammunition storage.

:)

However, their range can make them beastial. They would do good damage to all things.

Here are my thoughts, plan on the following armored types:

Buildings
Heavy building(none of these exist yet):
Reduced damage from everything but rockets and beam weapons

Regular buildings
reduced damage from only machine guns and enhanced damage from explosive anything

Lite buildings(transformers, machinist etc)
full damage from everything enhanced damage from explosive anything

Mechs
Plot armor(gundam etc, comes with hp reduction):
overall reduced damage from serious weapons(beam rifles), can still be paralyzed fine and will take full damage from rockets and machine guns.

Heavy armor(gouf, rx79, acguy)
Enhanced damage from beam rifles and heavier machineguns, Reduced damage from artillery, rockets, everything else.
Reasoning: mechs can dodge missiles fine in the anime, since I cannot do dodging in spring.. I can at least do this.

Medium armor(rgm79, zakus)
severe damage from beam rifles, machine guns and normal damage from rockets. Reduced damage from artillery

Paper armor
Takes full damage from everything.

these are just some thoughts I wanted to jot down while I mull over them. It is not my final draft and at the moment is a bit extreme but I hope this shows what I am thinking about(if not a bit extreme but something like this) I want to avoid the warcraft, peircing, holy, blah, blah crap so I am not going to do something like a dom only takes normal damage from a beam weapon and you have to use machine guns... but I am looking at making damage make more sense.

I can see bullets zipping through a building and not destroying it but if you fire a rocket that is about 5-10 feet tall into it yeah that thing goes up like a christmas tree in a bond fire.

The MS have shields and other things that may also be used in combination with the armored=1 tag to take reduced damage while they have a shield. It has long since been a desire of mine to have the mobile suits all lose their shields. However, machine gun fire can be pretty well taken by a ms unless it hits the pilot, at which point death. However, they can take a lot of glancing shots.

thoughts?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Oooh, Character shields!

I think you can make the damage modifiers of the shield affect different weapons in different ways (so e.g. high arc weapons don't get any penalty against shielded opponents) by using the HitByWeaponID funtion that will be in Spring 75b1. Perhaps that's something to consider for 1.2 or 1.12.

Beam rifle ammo could be done with an ammo script and having an ammo truck that refills your BR ammo (possibly even the rocket launchers too) so you could use it as a strong weapon while you have the ammo but if your ammo truck gets destroyed or your way to it cut off your BRs will run out quickly. May be too big of a gameplay change to make sense, tho.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

None.
smoth

Post by smoth »

eh, not soo much of an ammo truck thing. Although, the rx79 has that giant backpack and you can guess what it stores in there.. :P.

Probably should go into more detail...

Some fluff info(please ignore all sillyness as magic):

Beam rifles use a latice of particles known as minovsky particles to fire out plasma shots contained in this latice. Which is also how the gundam "beam saber" works. However, the beam rifle required massive generators(look at the zeke generator) so it was only able to be equiped on a battle ship. Now, when it reaches a distance it will dissipate and be lost in all strength(represented by the weapon range as spring as the weapons fade away)

However, the Federation develops a beam rifle that can fire at the power of a battleship gun using a limited charge e-cap clip placed in the rx78's beamrifle. This had about 7-12 shots of massively damaging beam blasts and then was out, forcing the rx78 to engage into close combat. However, I have not seen a working close combat weapon yet :( so I cannot do the whole fire off a volley then charge in and destroy stuff bit :(.

The other units(gelgoog and rx79beam) use what looks like a clip. It can be reloaded in battle just fine. However, there is a reload time(hence the slowdown of fire rate). I could do a scripted reload that happens every so often but I wasn't sure if people would hate it.

Now, the gm sniper and sniper II use a "long beam rifle" however, there is a difference:

The gmsniper is using a prototype long beam rifle which is effectively a steady stream weapon that requires a cool down time or it will burn out. I need to do some smoke coming off of the thing and stuff but I have not gotten to that yet :P.

The sniperII uses a finished version of the LBR(can I use this for discussion purposes) it can use the long range and has a slower fire rate however, it fires a shot powerful enough to keep integrity at great distances.

Now bear in mind that i am not saying that any of this makes sense but it has it's "logic" if you could call the crazy gundam fluff that(the gaw uses thermo nuclear jet engines.. don't ask just lol at it please). There are no reload trucks for the MS of gundam. When they have used up their ammo they usually have reached the range to kung-fu fight with light sabers in mechs that supposedly have just recently been developed and are first generation mass production suits. :P

Now that being said, there is a way to setup a gmsniper as a constant fire weapon. You'll find this neat because it is possible with the new lua stuff. The gmsniper can be paired with a coolant truck and it can(while stationary) fire CONSTANT! That might me neat. Hell if you want I can give gm snipers an on/off option that would represent them saying fuck it and the beam rifle could start over heating and damage the suit :).
Last edited by smoth on 01 Apr 2007, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

smoth wrote:
j5mello wrote:- need more com sharing matches
I have been asking to do one, I would like to focus on just base and unit construction and allow someone else to attack the enemy just to see what that would play out like.
I'm down with that.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I think FLOZi is about to add an argument to HitByWeaponID which is the damage that weapon will do. So basically you could do armor with health and script a unit not to take (or very very little) damage unless the armor is gone.
smoth

Post by smoth »

That goes waaaaaaaaaay too deep rattle. I am just looking at something basic. If is sounds too complex it probably is.

fyi, yeah the mechs can block anything with those shields. Any mech in gundam with a shield counts that as part of their hitpoints in the first place. If I could make them block shots I would.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:
FLOZi wrote:Smoth:

S:44.

'Logistics' provide energy. Essentially representing Fuel, ammuntion dumps etc.

They chain explode.

Reasonable, no?
smoth wrote:anyway, unless it is refueling depot or some sort of nuclear reactor most of the stuff in gundam is pretty blowup safe.
seriously... dude read the post.
it was quarter past 3 in the morning :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

That goes waaaaaaaaaay too deep rattle. I am just looking at something basic. If is sounds too complex it probably is.
Around the same time we were talking about angle specific armor (front, rear, sides etc). That's complex. :P

Well I was thinking of those gundams who can lose armor parts specifically.
How about basic damage reduction until the armor parts are gone instead? :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle, bear in mind that would take at least a weak etc. Sheilds are all they are going to lose. The alex loses it's armor. I do not want to do segmented parts for armor that would be bad.

When the shield is there they are going to have overall damage reduction to represent them blocking shots. once they lose enough hitpoints they are going to lose their sheild and their + to damage reduction so yeah.... like that

the alex is going to get a speed boost and usage of it's arm vulcan yeah... ARM VULCAN!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I prefer CORE BUZZSAW.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I think I'll stick with girls.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I'm with Ratte on this one.

Oh and will those big shooty things with the huge cannons that hover, and are on Zeon's side...you know the one's I'm taking about. "Long range satisfaction" and "satisfying crunch" and so on...those things. Those things look like they should be excelent building destroyers.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Naah, they don't need more buff. They're annoying enough already.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I say maek gun unfold faster and increase the turnrate like in 0083

Return to “Game Releases”