CvC mod 0.4 - Page 4

CvC mod 0.4

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The Trireme scripts are more demanding because the Trireme looks for upgrades. I didn't expect anyone to spam the thing which is why the script isn't written to be fast to execute. Drones don't check for upgrades because I know that will eat too much performance despite zwzsg's claims that a full unit ID check has no noticeable impact.

AFAIK no AIs work right now. Which isn't surprising, AIs rarely work at all.

I didn't pay too much attention to the Trireme annoying widgets because widgets believe EVERYTHING in this mod is a builder.
chlue

Post by chlue »

KDR_11k wrote:The Trireme scripts are more demanding because the Trireme looks for upgrades. I didn't expect anyone to spam the thing which is why the script isn't written to be fast to execute.
If there is something to optimize, it should not hurt. In my game there were less than 100 units and max 30 Triremes, so here is definate something wrong, if this mod is designed for unitspam.
KDR_11k wrote:AFAIK no AIs work right now. Which isn't surprising, AIs rarely work at all.
rattle wrote:Both me and AI were able to build and use it.
At least rattle seemed to be able to get an ai working with an old version, so I asked.
KDR_11k wrote:I didn't pay too much attention to the Trireme annoying widgets because widgets believe EVERYTHING in this mod is a builder.
Ok just checked: If you remove everything buildrelated of all non-builders and add "dontland=1", the mod seems to work fine, and widgets have no problem detecting the unittype.

Edit: This change actually enabled RAI to work with the mod, too. While it looks quiet stupid what the ai does, at least it works now.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Rattle's comment is referring to 0.02, back then NTAI still worked.

No idea what causes such a high load with 100 units, what kind of CPU do you have? Zwzsg claims he can have that running on every unit, even spammable ones.
chlue

Post by chlue »

KDR_11k wrote:No idea what causes such a high load with 100 units, what kind of CPU do you have? Zwzsg claims he can have that running on every unit, even spammable ones.
Athlon 64 3000+. Got a bit rusty but I would still consider this as a fast cpu. But the game run with a speedmultiplyer of three, as I noticed this values,...

Adding 50 Titans or Trireme with .give 50 xxx result in 19% script and 21-24% Simtime on normal speed. Still pretty much and I think 50 units should be possible in an online game with four or more players. (Creating a lot of units a the same time results in a repetive laggspike from the script, but that will not apply to a normal game.) Adding 50 drones per cheat result does not result in any noticeable slowdown.

Ps. I hope you consider replacing the workerstuff with dontland on the normal units and upgrades.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'll fix the worker stuff in the next version.

The lagspike comes from all of the spawned units checking on the same frame. Usually they'll be distributed over different frames.
manored

Post by manored »

My impressions about the mod:

Needs less spam and more tactics...

Bugs/problems I found:

The supertanks (the one that kills everthing) can and will shot trhu another friend supertanks in front of him and destroy it...

If you tell a factory to send drones to a position oposite to the one it is facing, the drones will not leave the factory and stop production...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Reducing the lag from scripts that repeat in synch is fairly straightforward- just use a randomizer to distribute the loops, especially stuff like sleeps, which can often vary as much as a tenth of a second without a problem, let alone a 30th.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I seriousely think a little GUI widget for handling upgrades would be awsome and pretty easy to manage, and then the code can be moved into the actual mod when the unitLUA is implimented
chlue

Post by chlue »

SinbadEV wrote:I seriousely think a little GUI widget for handling upgrades would be awsome and pretty easy to manage, and then the code can be moved into the actual mod when the unitLUA is implimented
After playing this mod online yesterday, I thought about trying to implement this, but I think its quiet useless to do this now, because as far as I understand with the next version the upgrades can be realised with the new LUA-Stuff. Implementing the upgrade system via LUA should be much more powerfull/less recource demanding.
chlue

Post by chlue »

I created some kind of Upgrade-Tracker.

It can be found as a temporary file:

Problems:
- For some reason I do not understand, you need to toggle the widget ingame off/on in the LUA-Dialog every game, before it starts working.
- It does not track the updates of your teammates, so it is currently of limited use, because that would be the main reason for such a widget.
Last edited by chlue on 09 Apr 2007, 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Cool.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Update or upgrade tracker?
chlue

Post by chlue »

rattle wrote:Update or upgrade tracker?
Ok changed update to upgrade. (Aren't upgrades updates? :shock:)
smoth

Post by smoth »

update is moving something to a newer version one that is "up to date" which is the current latest version.

upgrade just means it is better then the old but it might not be new enough to be "updated."
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I'd say upgrades enhance something but it is still the same old thing. Updates change the old thing into something new. What ever it is...

There has to be a better way. Perhaps the LUA message system could be used to make the upgrade-unit send a message to all units when it's completed or when it dies. The respective units will then look for that type of message.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Not happening until 75b1 is released and I know enough LUA to do that, at very least.

Return to “Game Releases”