About Maps, the site, and tosters

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

This isn't realy a thred for the MAPs forum because its more genral disscussion. If it was in the map forum only people that go in there would read this and this is more for anyone to read.

You see, I was wondering how many people actully realise thats theres now loads of maps for spring?? I bet alot of people just come to the spring site, hit the download page, download spring and dont even realise theres a wealth of maps up at file univers. Which is a shame as some are realy good.

Same goes for any mod's (or will do when more polished versions are out...)

Can I make the suggestion that it is atleast pointed out on the download page that there are loads of maps at file univers. And maybe the front page should be re-made slightly... just to feature a few changes, like links to the downloads stright from the front page, and possibly a list of the latest maps and mod's... you get what i mean?

This isn't realy about tosters...

aGorm

::EDIT:: I bet loads of people dont even visit the forums atall and so how the hell would they know?? I used to be like that so I know lots of people do...
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

thats a good idea... i thought (being a regular of tauniverse) that there would be a few maps at fileuniverse, but it wasnt until i had to go there to download a map for a certain game that i realised how many there were.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

They just need better project management period. The coding is going nicely, but the "outward" appearance of everything is not very professional. If you have to go to the forum to find out information about a project there might be something wrong.
genblood

Post by genblood »

... I've learned alot by reading the posting from all the subjects
in the forum. The people running fileuniverse our doing a great job
of keeping it up to date on new Spring maps and other info .

If someone from fileuniverse is reading this post, you might think
of having a all-in-one map pack. An update every month or so ...
Just a idea ... :idea:
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

perhaps an editor's pick

i dont think MH2, or some of the concept maps need to be in a map pack for the average spring player.

besides, a group of those maps would be massive..well over 200mb

yeah, some kind of editor's choice maps would work well...just the cream of the crop.
Storm

Post by Storm »

If someone from fileuniverse is reading this post, you might think
of having a all-in-one map pack. An update every month or so ...
Just a idea ...
Sorry, won't happen.

1. We do have plenty of space, but we won't just waste it.
2. Consumes time
3. Who in their sane mind would redownload the latest month version worth three hundred Mb instead of the three new maps?
4. All maps are not worthy to be included. I won't say which, but there are bad maps on that list.

If you people want it, I could make a voting system instead... and then pack in the five best maps as a "Player's choice", as Nemo suggested.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I don't think a bundle is needed, just more awareness needs to be given to the best maps so as people actully start to use them. Once people start relising theres more than four maps they be more encoraged to download others.
Some sort of editors choice would be nice, with maybe an editors mini review (like 4 - 5 sentances...) and then just have a list containg the latest 5 maps that got an above average editors rating.

Making people download one big pack is daft, its not that hard just to click the top five download buttons. So I dont think that that is needed to much.

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And as far as I am aware some fancy php scripting and you could bundle the top 5 maps ont he fly ready for downlaod instead of storing them, but whatdo I know about php, afterrall I know anythign do I?
Storm

Post by Storm »

English. Do you speak it?
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

What came first...

Toast, or the toaster?

If the toaster came first, how'd it get it's name? If it was called the Bloater, would we have eggs and bloat for breakfast? o.O;;

There, now it's about toast
:D
:D

-Buggi
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

Code: Select all

/ / / / / /      \         __
 / /_/ /_/ /      ==========|__|=
/_________/       /
\         \  o   /
 \ l33t    \  o /
  \ toaster \  /
   \_________\/
i cant believe i wasted my life doin that... anyway back on topic... having a pack of the true and tried classics would be good for n00bs that dont know which ones are good or not... perhaps the pack should only include remade cavedog maps...
oh yeah... why are all the maps in .zip compression.... .rar is so much better, or .7z or anything, it would save some time for those with crap connections (me a month ago) and would save some bandwidth...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

All that is need is a SY to update the "download" page with a line saying people to go to http://www.fileuniverse.com/spring/ to download all and any spring-related files, including mods and tons of map.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yes, that would be good if it was put up.

And storm... please for gods sake lay off Alantai. And Alantai dont encorage him, and you know you are with teh line
afterrall I (:dont:) know anythign do I?
aGorm
Storm

Post by Storm »

No. I loathe people that can, but blatantly refuse to spell.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Then get the hell out of my post. I loathe people that bitch and winne over some trivial thing that should have been forgotten long ago. I don't go telling the world that though. Of course you've just made yourself the exception.

There realy is no need for it.

aGorm
Delta

Post by Delta »

On topic!: The only thing that needs to be done really is a link at the downloadspage to fileuniverse, about 30 sec of work and all new TASplayers would get a better game with lots of maps and mods etc.
Shilkanni

Post by Shilkanni »

3. Who in their sane mind would redownload the latest month version worth three hundred Mb instead of the three new maps?
Easy. The answer is in the first & most recent post: "I bet alot of people just come to the spring site..." and the clearer "all new TASplayers"

When I first discovered Spring just a couple months ago I would have loved to have a pack of all maps. Instead I went through and downloaded every one seperately. It wasn't the end of the world, because I was keen on TA Spring but it could be made a lot easier.

Ideally, I would suggest either or both of the following:
- A Bigger map pack with only the best & most commonly used maps available from the TA Spring site OR File Universe
- A Full map pack of all (or perhaps all stable/non-buggy) maps available from File Universe OR as a torrent (probably silly to host this on TA Spring if there are storage/bandwidth issues).

I would have appreciated both of these.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

best solution would be a torrent of all the map files as separate zips... and update the torrent every month... you just download the torrent, save to the same location and get the new maps yourself while sharing all the old maps out stilll...

/\
Good Idea -

Crazy Idea-
\/

in fact, if you wanted to be really clever you could make a custom bit torrent client that would automatically check for updates from the FU server and have FU as it's tracker... it would track all maps and store them decompressed in your map folder and share them as long as the app was running... you would have a list of maps to choose from and put checkmarks beside the ones you wanted to download, and it could eventually be expanded to be integrated with the client and be used for mod sharing and stuff tooo!!!
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Look... The front page!! Woooow!! I have made a difference!! I've actully done somthing! I can sleep happy tonight!

aGorm
mongus

Post by mongus »

there is something about on relying only in FU for files.
What if it gets down?
Nothing against FU, it rux.
A small selection in Spring Dl page i like.
Also, small maps in default dl is nice.
The realtime popularity(ranking?, #dl?) selection sounds advanced, but generates players with different sets of maps... also different md5...
edit: ok forget about the FU thing, the creators have the backups anyway.
e1: for brains that spontaneusly combusted into ashes, the post was more oriented to media distribution independence(wich is pointless here nyhw).
Last edited by mongus on 11 Jun 2005, 08:42, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”