Dune - Water Pumping Station (File Download)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PuG

Post by PuG »

Still work in progress, though my idea of water pumping station to perhaps replace metal mines in Spring. Ive still got some little bits todo and need to touch up some of the textures though do intent to release the files at somepoint for download.

(ignore some of the extreme bumpiness on the texture, was doing a quick bump map and left it turned on for the render.

Regards!

** Update **
The pumping station has now been release and can be downloaded from:

http://www.dark-forge.com/downloads/Spr ... tation.zip
Last edited by PuG on 03 Mar 2007, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

do you like ww2 stuff? :(
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Is that one of those things Luke was supposed to repair before the Stormtroopers killed his uncle?
pintle

Post by pintle »

so... based off these two beautiful models i would suggest it was high time you teamed up with (at least) rattle and MAEK DUEN SPRING.

It would be win and stuffs
manored

Post by manored »

Its pretty nice, but it probaly shouldnt look like a krogoth had steped on it twice immediatly after being built... :P
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Why not? Arrakis is a VERY hostile environment and will wreck a building in no time. Though I think there's no water to pump up on Arrakis (it's specifically mentioned in the book), that's what the wind traps are for.
PuG

Post by PuG »

Perhaps a little bit to weather beaten - but as KDR_11k said, hostile :) Water Caves? not sure as ive yet to get around to reading the books :( :twisted:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Basically they say that any attempt to drill for water results in the water "retreating", at first there's only a trickle, then there's nothing and it never returns. The only water caves would be the caves the Fremen store their water in, you'd have to deal with desert dwellers declaring jihad on you then.
PuG

Post by PuG »

Ah right, oh well :) perhaps then theirs only a limited water supply at each drill sight before it dwindles & withdraws :)

Right small update:

Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

impressive work! :shock:

May I get to know, which program/s you use?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Lightwave, judging by the window capture.
manored

Post by manored »

KDR_11k wrote:Why not? Arrakis is a VERY hostile environment and will wreck a building in no time. Though I think there's no water to pump up on Arrakis (it's specifically mentioned in the book), that's what the wind traps are for.
Because it makes the building look like it haves 10 years instead of 10 seconds... :P
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

It looks awesome, leave it at that.
manored

Post by manored »

P3374H wrote:It looks awesome, leave it at that.
Why to have nice textures and ugly buildings if you can have nice textures and nice buildings? :P
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

That is a nice building... >.>

What resolution is your texture? 512x512 is normally too small for me to make complex stuff (I only use 600-1000 polies on each of my things too!)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

manored wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Why not? Arrakis is a VERY hostile environment and will wreck a building in no time. Though I think there's no water to pump up on Arrakis (it's specifically mentioned in the book), that's what the wind traps are for.
Because it makes the building look like it haves 10 years instead of 10 seconds... :P
Such comparions fail when you consider that they don't have magical nanolathes on Arrakis and can't just spray a new building in two minutes.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pug, you ever considered joining a mod team? 8)
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Dude, Manrod, the sandstorms of Arrakis can STRIP the fleash from your BONES in a matter of seconds.

And the building loots friggen awsome. Can I suck out your brains, PuG? I got some great ideas for a mod.
PuG

Post by PuG »

Thanks for the comments.

To be honest im too unreliable to join a team as I have other contract work on the go - and at the moment only doing something like this when I have a spare hour.

512 x 512 Res Texture
522 Tripled Polygons

What would be nice is to apply Springs water shader to the pools :)

--------
Will release the object and texture files at somepoint today - though ive aimed it at Dune with some minor surface adjustments (such as the water tanks) im sure it can be used for other mods.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Wait, that's supposed to be exposed water? I don't know about you but when I'm so worried about evaporation that I wear a suit to prevent it and make my rooms airtight to prevent moisture from escaping I wouldn't leave my water tanks open.

Return to “Art & Modelling”