Ok.. time to redo the OTA textures. - Page 2

Ok.. time to redo the OTA textures.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Guys, no lossy compression. Seriously, it shows.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Is it SO HARD to get over the fact that JPEG ISN'T THE BEST FORMAT for every purpose?

Jpeg is good for large photo. Jpeg is BAD for small textures.

Random TA texture:

PNG: 2.3 kb

Jpeg 1%: 4.1 kb

Jpeg 10%: 2.3 kb

Jpeg 50%: 1.3 kb

Jpeg 99%: 0.5 kb

For the same filesize of precisely 2.33kb, here is PNG (left) and JPG (right):
ImageImage
With a x5 zoom:

That clearly show the superiority of png over jpg: Same filesize, better quality.

PNG>JPG
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Very good zwzsg.....

PNG rox....I love it.
Liam

Post by Liam »

i wouldn't call png 'better' quality, that somehow implies that it loses any quality at all, but yes it's great for smaller images, or larger images with the same amount of colour, and should always... always be used instead of bmp.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

PNG is always better if disk space isn't a concern, so in this case, PNG > JPG.
Tangaroa

Post by Tangaroa »

PNG provides reasonable lossless compression and transparency, transparency could come in very handy later.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

But zwzsg, you neglected the 1.3 KB jpg file, which is nearly half the size as the PNG but isn't significantly worse. ANd since we are talking about TA texxes here, they dont NEED to be superly detailed.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

You realize we are arguing over <1kb here?

How far has the computer age come again? Maybe using an extra kb was bad... 10 years ago....now its just accepted as part of the times. Use PNG for better quality please.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

the reason PNG beats JPG here is that the image is very small. It is therefore not reasonable to use jpg because if you start to compress something really small you lose too much. However I'd like to see you pull of the same quality / size thing with a 2 MP image. JPG versus PNG. We both know that JPG 0 compression delivers about 1/10th the size of the png in that case, without decernable quality issues.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Redfish, we aren't talking about using 2 Mb files - we're talking about 2 kb, on average.
Last edited by Durandal on 09 Jun 2005, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
RightField

Post by RightField »

No game designers use jpg as their image format. Another reason to use png here is that it supports alpha channels, which we might require in the future, so I see no reason in not using png in the first place.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Another pro-jpg reason: Scale. You are looking at hundreds, maybe thousands, of textures. It adds up.
efbie

Post by efbie »

there is no pro-jpg thing. For small files, png is always better than jpeg both in terms of quality than file size.

there is tools to optimize png files : pngcrush on unix, and PNGOptimizer on windows. You can also remove headers informations in gimp for small files.

and the size argument is quite dull since when the textures are loaded in memory they are decompressed so jpgs won't make the game require less RAM. (Anyway they are heavier than png :) )

there is no reason at all to use jpg in game textures.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I think consensus has been reached and it is safe to announce the community's choice for the new texture format to be .PNG.
smoth

Post by smoth »

bah.

Thanks for waisting a perfectly good motion with some asinine conversation that has probably already happened in 2-1999942359346-90346 places on the net.
Icedragon

Post by Icedragon »

I'd love to help if I knew what needed to be done. Can anyone link me to how to dump a GAF to PNG or describe it, so I can produce some textures roughly based on those needing to be replaced?

This is all of course assuming I'm not kicking a dead horse, in that this little project has been either completed, or completely abandoned.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Well, you don't really need to dump any GAFs. Just open up the taenheter.ccx file in HPIView and poke around in the "Unittextures" subdirectory. They're all just bitmaps. Though to edit them, you need to extract the .ccx file to your hard drive somewhere, modify, then repack the .ccx file using HPIPack.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

smoth wrote:bah.

Thanks for waisting a perfectly good motion with some asinine conversation that has probably already happened in 2-1999942359346-90346 places on the net.
Yes, we are very sorry. Please continue redoing textures plz? 8)

I hope that something can come of this...we really need non-infringing material in this game.
Icedragon

Post by Icedragon »

Okay, as a test I made this texture

roughly based on this one

Is this the kind of stuff that needs to be done?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Its the sort of thing... but if tghats thye one u plan to replace... dont you think it should look a bit more like it?? Plus the textures should all be made BIG, and then they can just be shrunk down to whatever size latter. That way they will look better, and if the texture turns out to be used on lots of large faces it can be resized bigger.

aGorm

Return to “Art & Modelling”