Other stuff you wish had an open source remake.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I wish there were more projects around like spring.
My list of what should be remade is:
-Closecombat 2 (All the later ones were cr*p)
-System Shock 2 (Bioshock just isn't as scary)
-The original Homeworld (The second & Cataclysm was a piece of streamlined sh*t. They did release the source for this, but no one has done anything with it yet.)
-Super Mario 64 (No water packs or 'galaxies'. Just the original with different and more challenging levels. The DS version is nice, but it has the same levels. Probably wouldn't play right on the PC though. CO-OP SUPPORT!)
-The unmentionable game: tfarCratS (I do have fond memories of LAN games with it, and it could have more strategy if they remade it. It just didn't have any tactics beyond focus on killing 1 unit at a time. I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't revamped it yet.)
-Soldiers of Anarchy/The Fall of Gaia (Excellent tactics in both games, though the second played more like KOTOR. The first could be redone with a more efficient graphics engine and better pathfinding)
-Fallout

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Any of your favorites that were forgotten or ruined?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I wish opensource would stop remaking old games (after all we got the old game already) and focus on making new ones instead.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

Sid Meyers Alpha Centauri.

It is similar to his Civilisation games, but with added complexity like a unit buildder and distinct social engineering choices.

Sadly, the AI is about as challenging a mentally disabled 5 year old to a game of chess. Additionally the economy model is too focused on the use of the super effizient supply crawler, which the AI never builds, of course.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

There is a Fallout remake in the makings... just google for a bit. Remake as in engine to run fallout content.
-System Shock 2 (Bioshock just isn't as scary)
System Shock 1 please...
...and I'd like to see a remake of Syndicate.
pintle

Post by pintle »

rattle wrote:...and I'd like to see a remake of Syndicate.

+1000000000000000000000

totally forgot that game existed...

also homeworld cataclysm is not a steamlined P-O-S i wub
knorke

Post by knorke »

Interstate '76 with good netplay would rule.

Also, stuff that has an opensource remake:
http://www.openttd.org/screens.php
needs some files from http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3407 but do not remember which.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Planescape: Torment

Hell, any game set in either the Planescape or Dark Sun setting. Any univers where you can argue someone out of exsistance is awsome, in my opinion.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

kinda like the forums then?
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Kinda, except...better.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Planesacpe + 1000
Fear the Lady of Pain :)
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Fear yourself more like it. After playing that game I crossed out "Immortality" on my wish list and replaced it with "New Bike"
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The lady of pain was a pain indeed. I skipped the text, then she turned hostile and I had to kill her... no wait, that was a ghost, was it?

Anyway I'd like to see a remake which isn't as straight forward in terms of character developement.

Oh yeah, openttd is nice as well, especially with addon packs. Candyland for the win!
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

AGH! Blashpme! Skipping the text of Torment is like...skipping the GAMEPLAY of...well...anything. The awsom of that game was in the text!

Grr...now I'm going to have to spend some time in the ANGERY dome.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Starlancer - This game needs moar levels. Although I could just poke Zuby, he's still got his copy of the mission editor from when he was at Warthog.

Freelancer - Needs more universe, better physics and less sucky "I fly into crap" pilot controls....

as for tfarCratS - They are making a World Of.... that's disturbing to think about really. A greZ MMO character? :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

-The original Homeworld (The second & Cataclysm was a piece of streamlined sh*t. They did release the source for this, but no one has done anything with it yet.)
They released original homeworld source, and they did do stuff with it. There's even a linux port.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

So who's gonna pull out an extra-dimensional cosplay zerg first...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sheekel wrote:Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
This doesn't need a remake. It simply needs a rerelease.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

i was gonna write some really horrible game but i couldnt think of one that was funny enough so just p[retend i did and it was really funny

thanks in advance
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

BlackLiger wrote:Freelancer - Needs more universe, better physics and less sucky "I fly into crap" pilot controls....
They call it Privateer, Elite, X and a whole lot of other names. There's actually an opensource remake of Privateer.
neddiedrow wrote:
Sheekel wrote:Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
This doesn't need a remake. It simply needs a rerelease.
The ESRB has recently given it a rating for the Wii Virtual Console. In other words, expect it there soon.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”