Ok, nuke blowing up on pad is quite annoying

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Yeah, just had a nuke go up in my base, which then caused a chain reaction and decimated my base.

I think the bug resides in its LOS. Just before launch it looks and if it can't "see" its target, it thinks it's at its target or something. (Either that or something I can't think of at this point.) So how about they do THEIR "pathfinding" just before they turn in the sky way up in the air, that way, when they go, they won't hurt me :-)

I just lost a game because of this :-(

-Buggi
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Just checking: did the nuke hit a plane passing over? You could do this in OTA with lots of peepers... tell them to move over an enemy nuker as he's launching and it'll hit the peepers over his own base... of course, it can hit your own planes too. It's rare, but it does happen in OTA, and the Spring nukes seem to fly much much higher in the air so they definitely cross the flying altitude of planes...
mongus

Post by mongus »

hm... have the replay? :twisted:
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

No, somebody posted about this before, the core..i think, silo is underground, and opens to fire.

The problem is that it doesn't open quickly enough, and so the nuke hits the silo on the way out.

Or did the nuke actually launch into the air and come straight back down? O_o
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

lol never happens to me! then again i play as arm most of the time =p if i play as CORE i just get rapier swarms and reapers :D
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

I know the silo works, I've nuked with it before. I'm quite fond of it actually. But in this case there were several "hills" between me and the to-be-unlucky enemy. This battle took place on my 32x32 map, so LOS isn't going to be perfect all around everything. Maybe it's distance.

Want to replicate... build a nuke silo, surround it on three sides by the huge bertha walls, and try to launch a nuke.

KABOOM!!

-Buggi

*ponders...*
I wonder if I had any buildings close... I don't think I did... but if that was the case, it hit that buildings collision "bubble"... :? I am 95% sure this wasn't the case today. *runs to test*
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

LOL that'll teach you for not spacing your units! btw how much damage did the nuke do? i swear nukes are SO scaled down from OTA...i normally launch 5 or so @ once to make a decent explosion :D
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Min3mat wrote:LOL that'll teach you for not spacing your units! btw how much damage did the nuke do? i swear nukes are SO scaled down from OTA...i normally launch 5 or so @ once to make a decent explosion :D
Yeah, I did some testing and confirmed.

http://www.epicedit.com/nukewall.avi

I agree on the nuke explosions. So I found one that I was happy with. ^_^

And just for you, I created a video of it :D
http://www.epicedit.com/bignuke.avi

@.@;;;

-Buggi

But again, I don't think the nuke was obscured when it went off in my base earlier, I just better watch more closely.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

That Big Nuke is amazing. I love how it blows away all the nearby trees. Looks like a nuke too.

Has anyone contemplated actually making the mushroom-cloud shape the stretches into the sky?
munch

Re: Ok, nuke blowing up on pad is quite annoying

Post by munch »

Buggi wrote:Yeah, just had a nuke go up in my base, which then caused a chain reaction and decimated my base.
LOL the dangers of using experimental weapons! Maybe misfires of new tech could become a game feature on all weapons.

Did you ever play Flood (old 2D platform game)? The best weapon in the game was a flame thrower which toasted anything in sight. Only problem was, it was a bit, erm, tempramental... sometimes when you pulled the trigger a rubber chicken came out =)

Munch
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

LOL the dangers of using experimental weapons! Maybe misfires of new tech could become a game feature on all weapons.
Frankly, I don't want to play a game where I can loose simply because of bad luck.
Shanjaq

Post by Shanjaq »

This sounds exactly like the problem causing units to get stuck in their factories due to the new pathfinding system. I bet the missile is simply colliding with its silo.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

See video for arm, core however, still blows up on the pad. It could be in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it and still blow up on the pad.

I guess the Core haven't quite got the launch sequence down yet :)

-Buggi
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

U know I really hate you for putting walls around everything? ;) :P
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

You hate me?

*sobs*
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I fired lots of nukes last game, and all went out fine. I was core.

Return to “Help & Bugs”