KDR, Kernel Panic is a great name!

More ideas:

Three Defrag

MCP (maddeningly chaotic pwnage)

Gridwars
espylaub

Post by espylaub »

eek, double post.
Last edited by espylaub on 12 Feb 2007, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Exit69

Post by Exit69 »

GreedWars :-)
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

KDR_11k wrote:The current octaeder script is meant for a burst of four shots with a 0.25 burstrate (i.e. what you currently see in the test mod), it'd look weird with anything else (and the published one has a slight bug that makes the shots and animation not sync up, I've fixed that in the version on my HD). What kind of behaviour would you like for that thing?
To be honest I haven't given that much thought yet. In balancing I can just increase the strength of the shots, or the duration between bursts, right? So I think that would be fine. Thanks!
smoth wrote:Boirunner, do you want me to put in some effects for you? If you fire a version to me friday I will see if I can add them for you on the weekend.
I'd love that! I can't promise to have a version done by friday, but I'll probably manage. You'd have to try your best to stick to the retro style, of course. But yeah, seeing as all your other work is great, I completely trust you on that ;)

Concerning names, I like quite a few of your suggestions. I'll chose one when the next version goes public, so keep suggesting if you like.
smoth

Post by smoth »

No problem if you had a certain look you wanted, fire me some pictures I can do that also.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Boirunner wrote:To be honest I haven't given that much thought yet. In balancing I can just increase the strength of the shots, or the duration between bursts, right? So I think that would be fine. Thanks!
It's easy to change to a non-burst behaviour or different burst speeds or sizes (guess I should remember to put those BOS files in there), you don't need to limit yourself unnecessarily. Obviously all animation speeds including the speed of the opening animation and the aiming speed can be adjusted freely.
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

smoth wrote:No problem if you had a certain look you wanted, fire me some pictures I can do that also.
Not really. I don't know anything about effects in Spring, so knock yourself out.
KDR_11k wrote:It's easy to change to a non-burst behaviour or different burst speeds or sizes (guess I should remember to put those BOS files in there), you don't need to limit yourself unnecessarily. Obviously all animation speeds including the speed of the opening animation and the aiming speed can be adjusted freely.
Cool. I'll look at that when I'm putting the thing together.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

How about we call it "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE"?
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

KDR_11k wrote:How about we call it "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE"?
Or maybe "HE-MAN vs. McGyver"?
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

Boirunner wrote:...Or maybe "HE-MAN vs. McGyver vs. Chuck Norris"?
fixed
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

j5mello wrote:
Boirunner wrote:...Or maybe "HE-MAN vs. McGyver vs. Chuck Norris"?
fixed
Nah, then we'd have to remake all weapons into the "ROUNDHOUSE_KICK" with infinite damage and no reaload time.
tombom

Post by tombom »

My vote goes for Kernel Panic because it is awesome
Fat Zombie

Post by Fat Zombie »

Yes. Kernel Panic is good. You also have KP as an acronym, which is good because they distribute peanuts.

Anyway. Cool mod. Will try when I get home. Kernel Panic "FTW" "TBH". _¬
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

tombom wrote:My vote goes for Kernel Panic because it is awesome
Kernel Panic FTW. Or Colonel Panic, if you like.

If you ever have factions, you can have Colonel Panic play against General Protection - it's all his fault.
espylaub

Post by espylaub »

Pxtl wrote:
tombom wrote:My vote goes for Kernel Panic because it is awesome
Kernel Panic FTW. Or Colonel Panic, if you like.

If you ever have factions, you can have Colonel Panic play against General Protection - it's all his fault.
I grovel before your brilliance.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I've done the builder and mini factory now, leaves only the mine and wreckages. Do units need different wreckages or is it enough if there's a single wreckage ("bad sector") for all units? After all ressources aren't used anyway so wreckages are only for blocking pathes, right?

Also would it be good if the builder could produce said bad sectors to block pathes?

Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

KDR_11k wrote:I've done the builder and mini factory now, leaves only the mine and wreckages.
You are the man! I love the minilab. Also I didn't even know you could make the nanolathe look different. Awesome. The builder looks awesome too!
Do units need different wreckages or is it enough if there's a single wreckage ("bad sector") for all units? After all ressources aren't used anyway so wreckages are only for blocking pathes, right?
Yeah, they can all be the same. And I love the bad sector pun.
Also would it be good if the builder could produce said bad sectors to block pathes?
Good idea, yes. Cool.

Anyway, I like Kernel Panic too, so let's got with it.

Now we need names for the units in a similar spirit. Maybe we should call the balls nibbles and the big ones bytes? the builders assemblers and the artillery debuggers? And we could call the laser weapons SPARCs :)

You guys have any other ideas?
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

This mod is looking more and more trippy every day.

In a good way.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The naming scheme I use in the development version is:

Small Guy: Bit
Artillery: Byte
Big Guy: Cluster
Builder: Disc
Base: Kernel
Minilab: I/O Controller (was thinking about Microkernel but that wouldn't fit as much)

I don't think they're that fitting except for the Bit and Kernel.
smoth

Post by smoth »

NO NIBBLE!?!??!

Return to “Kernel Panic”