Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

BOTA 1.6 (Fix 9) (Updated Finally)

Post by Quanto042 »

-=The BOTA Thread=-
----------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD HERE
Here it is guys!
While still not good enough to be called 1.6 proper. This is a huge update by BOTA standards. A whole slew of changes have been made to the game (hopefully for the better). Special thanks (Again) to the Finns for finding all the crazy bugs that lead up to this release.

This will the last fix I release as the Mod Maintainer, the Finns will be taking over from here.

Updates for this version include:
-Inclusion of BASE-OTA Content. (It should run without OTA Dependencies now.)
-Removal of IceUI (it was too buggy)

-Fixed Arm Cloakable Fusions
-Fixed Core Goli Crush-strength 250 --> 500
-Fixed Krog Crush-strength 250 --> 1000
-Fixed Core MMs (they now 'splode like the Arm ones)
-Rebalanced the naval combat, destroyers are now less OP. Increased the Usefulness of the T2 Naval units.
-Arm Warriors now have the Classic OTA script (1 Cannon, 1 EMG) instead of dual EMGs.
-Peewees and AKs get an HP buff
-Small Tanks can no longer climb hills as well as the KBots (should lead to less flash spam)
-Flash/Gator recieve a 25% hp reduction. (From 650 to 500)

I think that is about it. Other changes suggested were more of a difference in opinion, and were discarded.
Some problems, that still have not been fixed (due to difficulty, and lack of skill on the part of this particular maintainer) include;
-Snipers still randomly suicide when firing.
-Core Raider still invisible; went back to old 3DO model

DOWNLOAD LINK
---Screen Shots from two builds ago---
Last edited by Quanto042 on 19 Feb 2010, 20:02, edited 16 times in total.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

ruh oh kids, small problem :

LAZORS R INVISIBLE + other bizarre FX bugs thanks to a little mishap by quanto.

Link on UF is hiddenz atm.

Edit : FIXED, or it should be! .

Corrected link :

http://spring.unknown-files.net/file/23 ... Open_Beta/
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Anyone want to see a demo of how it plays? Replay can be found here:

http://www.unknown-files.net/replays/replay.php?id=174
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

We played an epic game of this last night. Thor and I were sharing a com with splice on our team against quanto and forboding angle

Splices com got killed early on because he was defending against forboding's army all by himself. I was trying to put up a gaurdian not nearly fast enough.

Instead of marching through the pass into our main base with his army, forboding angel wipes out our expansion base on the top of the hill were both of our lvl 2 plants were. Splice still has an adv lab in the main base.

Quanto about to fly his transports into some missile towers. He tries this around 8 more times during the course of the game.

For some reason after destroying our base on the hill forboding and quanto don't hold on to the area, letting splice retake it and resurrect everything that died. After a while he builds up the giant army on the right. There's air transports constantly running in a stream that are moving his guys from the top of the hill down to the rest of his army. Forboding and Quanto are massing another army in the same place as the one before.

Splice starts moving his guys downwards. About a minute later Quanto and Forboding begin the attack with their army.

Thor takes care of things using thuds on the hills and some morties on the other side. The entire army gets wiped out marching through the pass.

Meanwhile splice starts to break through on his side of the map.

The strategic view of what's going on.

Splice wipes out the forward section of forboding's base while I bomb the guns. Further back splices' necros are resurrecting all of his fallen units. Quanto and forboding bring in reinforcements while Thor brings up the morties and thuds that were defending the base earlier.

Some transports being used as gunships

Our own artillery starts blasting away at the remains of Forboding's base. Finally we finish things off with a nuke that I forgot to take a picture of.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Fucking Epic, its all i got to say O_O
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

That was a great game last night. The assault transports open up a lot of new strategies. In a game against Smartie earlier I was being pushed back from the middle, where he had set up a plasma cannon, but I was able to get some transports with my commander around his defenses and into his undefended rear base, which I promptly destroyed and made my own, leaving him trapped between my two bases. Lots of fun!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think we should all get a game together when we can.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Would you mind putting that replay up?
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Sure, I'll upload it.

edit: and here it is: http://www.unknown-files.net/replays/?175
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Awsome. Maybe now I can get all my buddies who miss OTA back into Spring since now there's a good OTA mod and the engine GUI is finally looking up to par.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Pxtl wrote:Awsome. Maybe now I can get all my buddies who miss OTA back into Spring since now there's a good OTA mod and the engine GUI is finally looking up to par.
Good luck on that. I might be afraid that the armed transports would throw them off tho. Hardcore OTA ppl are VERY close minded. :P

But then again, so are Hardcore AA-BA ppl.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

-=BOTA 1.5 is Finished!=-
----------------------------------------

Basically OTA 1.5 is now finished following a long period of nothing. 99% of all the minor bugs are gone, and 100% of the really annoying stuff is gone.
Hopefully now the only updates from here on will be just minor tweaks and fixes, and a bit of fluff.

Changelog is in the UF file description.

smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:Awsome. Maybe now I can get all my buddies who miss OTA back into Spring since now there's a good OTA mod and the engine GUI is finally looking up to par.

Ya' know, someone needs to make an OTA style lua UI. That would be MADE OF AWESOM!
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

smoth wrote:

Ya' know, someone needs to make an OTA style lua UI. That would be MADE OF AWESOM!
That would be made of awesome. Who wants the job? >_>
I could bundle it with the next BOTA.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

We played some awesome games of BOTA yesterday. The fast transports make for some epic combat air landings!

I've uploaded the replays:
http://replays.unknown-files.net/?250
http://replays.unknown-files.net/?251
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yay! Go Thor! It's shineh! And has nothing to do with me! Go Thor, go!
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

While it IS basicly OTA, I'm sure if someone took the time to make the units look a little better, it wouldn't go amiss as long as it didn't radically alter them, right?

Not that I have the modeling skill to do so, just thinking out loud...
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Meh, i wanted to add some fancy effects like the ones in CA (before CA came about) but my effects guy (fox) left bota to do CA >_>

So since then i've been focusing exclusively on Gameplay improvements.
Peekaboom

Post by Peekaboom »

I wouldn't worry too much about effects. Old OTA players like myself aren't bothered by ugly peewee models and the like.

Anyway, returning to the spring schene after a brief haitus and will check out BOTA in the next few days. I watched a demo, looked pretty cool.

Quick question though. In BOTA I noticed that the ranges for most things a fairly large (with respect to AA and its mod family). Do units gets springs automatic "tageting facility" still or is their a heavy reliance on spotters early game, as in OTA? Just curious about that.

In the demo I watched, missiles we're pretty rediculous looking, having 200-300 more range than most other tier 1 stuff. In OTA this was somewhat balanced by having to build spotter / front line units early on to give the longer range units a target. What's the plan for this?

Cheers! Looks good.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Peekaboom wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about effects. Old OTA players like myself aren't bothered by ugly peewee models and the like.

Anyway, returning to the spring schene after a brief haitus and will check out BOTA in the next few days. I watched a demo, looked pretty cool.

Quick question though. In BOTA I noticed that the ranges for most things a fairly large (with respect to AA and its mod family). Do units gets springs automatic "tageting facility" still or is their a heavy reliance on spotters early game, as in OTA? Just curious about that.

In the demo I watched, missiles we're pretty rediculous looking, having 200-300 more range than most other tier 1 stuff. In OTA this was somewhat balanced by having to build spotter / front line units early on to give the longer range units a target. What's the plan for this?

Cheers! Looks good.
Manual spotting is still necessary. While Spring units will fire on radar dots automatically, radar dots drift around and do not represent the exact location of units. Thus, only high-explosive plasma weapons can effectively fire at radar dots. Everything else requires spotters to be useful.

So effectively OTA gameplay is preserved, just with a lot more misfired weaponry.

Return to “Game Releases”