Message Separator widget - Page 3

Message Separator widget

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

Scollable message history +1
...And thanks for the awesome widget.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

eh, when you resize it and try try to do vertical overflow it skips one message before it starts from the top again... :/

Edit: also, would getting a widget for only the colour modification be possible? because I like that much more than the separating :P
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Uh, the main reason I wrote this thing was to separate messages, so what you ask isn't trivial (and would rather defeat the widget's purpose). I might release such a version after I've implemented scrolling, but no promises.

Just got rid of the bug you mentioned, thanks.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

ZellSF wrote:eh, when you resize it and try try to do vertical overflow it skips one message before it starts from the top again... :/

Edit: also, would getting a widget for only the colour modification be possible? because I like that much more than the separating :P
How about you code that yourself...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

How about you end all wars in the world?

(if you ask me to do something I have no chance to do in a reasonable time, I'll ask you something similar)
overkill

Post by overkill »

SIMPLY AMAZING
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Kloot wrote:Uh, the main reason I wrote this thing was to separate messages, so what you ask isn't trivial (and would rather defeat the widget's purpose). I might release such a version after I've implemented scrolling, but no promises.

Just got rid of the bug you mentioned, thanks.
uh, sure you uploaded the fix?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Hadn't done that yet, but it's online now.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Feature request: Dark colors can be hard to see in player chat. Could you incorporate those font outlines that /info uses?
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

+1 just played a game where I couldn't read one of my allies messages at all...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I was thinking maybe the names could be the player color but the text could be just white or whatever
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

version 1.9 (link outdated, see first post)

New features:

* it's now possible to set whether the font is drawn with a black outline or in a single color (toggle with ctrl+y, takes effect in both rendering modes)
* player text can now be set to draw over a grey background bar (toggle with ctrl+o, only takes effect in transparent mode)

Sinbad: yes, that's an option, but unfortunately plain white text isn't always readable either on maps with very bright/light-colored terrain (unless placed in an ugly black box). There is no optimal easy-on-the-eyes way to deal with this, IMO.
Last edited by Kloot on 17 Jul 2007, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Kloot wrote:version 1.9
* it's now possible to set whether the font is drawn with a black outline or in a single color (toggle with ctrl+y, takes effect in both rendering modes)
A white outline is what's needed in many cases for people with very dark colors.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

I find white-outlined text rather hard to read myself, but I see your point (and have acted on it, ctrl+y now cycles between no, black, and white outlining ;)).
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I have some more feature requests that may or may not be feasible: No outlining for system messages (because they are always white). For player names, the color of the outline depends on how dark the player color is (no idea how hard something like that would be to code, but the engine does it that way). Then the widget would be perfect. :-)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Changing the font outline color like that unfortunately isn't possible, the only options are pure white and pure black. :/ I could try drawing each message twice, once in some outline color and once (in a slightly smaller font) in its regular one, but I don't know how well that'd work.

Your other suggestion is perfectly feasible though, system text is now no longer affected by ctrl+y.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Kloot wrote:Changing the font outline color like that unfortunately isn't possible, the only options are pure white and pure black. :/ I could try drawing each message twice, once in some outline color and once (in a slightly smaller font) in its regular one, but I don't know how well that'd work.
trepan seemed to think it was possible, but I didn't really get his explaination:
edit: see below where I look like a nub :P
Last edited by LordMatt on 10 Feb 2007, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Code: Select all

10:23 -!- Irssi: Starting query in Quakenet with LordMatt
10:23 <trepan> the system part of the console have a background quad?
10:23 <trepan> if not, then even white text should be outlined
10:23 <trepan> (artic maps)
10:23 <trepan> ... that was cut off by the netsplits
10:23 <LordMatt> hmm
10:23 <trepan> after:  kloot is right in that only white and black are available, but making his console 
               'light outline' capable is very easy
10:24 <LordMatt> well can you post in the thread how?
10:24 <trepan> and: lua spinners, now with shadows and reflection: 
               http://trepan.bzflag.bz/spring/gaia_model.jpg  :)
10:24 <LordMatt> it would be a big improvement to his widget
10:24 <LordMatt> spinners?
10:24 <trepan> no, he already understand that black and white are available
10:24 <trepan> just a simple model for testing
10:25 <trepan> now the gaia and modctrl lua code can draw 'full' world objects
10:25 <LordMatt> well the issue is that he can't change it based on what the team color is
10:25 <LordMatt> so that lighter colers have a dark outline
10:25 <LordMatt> and dark colors a light outline
10:26 <LordMatt> like it is in .info
10:26 <trepan> check the player colors up front, that's what i did
10:26 <trepan> copied some of OutlineFont.cpp into my widget
10:26 <LordMatt> which?
10:26 <trepan> (that's why the 'O' text option is there ;)
10:27 <trepan> The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b
10:28 <trepan> "man ppmtopgm"  :)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Ah, cheers, luminance-based thresholding is indeed a good alternative.

Anyway, to summarize: ctrl+y now again toggles font outlining on/off, but whether the outline is black or white when on depends on the player's team color (bright ones get a black outline, dark colors a white one). I hope that settles the matter to everyone's satisfaction. ;)
Last edited by Kloot on 18 Jul 2008, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lua Scripts”