Compiled List of Current TA Spring bugs - Page 4

Compiled List of Current TA Spring bugs

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

crimson

Post by crimson »

Can someone else confirm this for me.

My connection is 512/128, the other person i was playing is the same connection.

When he put the game speed straight up to 14 and straight back down to 1, in the middle of the game. My connection was permently lost while his game still recognised me as connected.

Crimson Shade
Delta

Post by Delta »

Core missile hovercrafts can't fire.(haven't tested arm)
The Grand Poobah

Post by The Grand Poobah »

OK, something that's been bothering me lately, if you have too many maps and try to run spring.exe, it doesn't scroll down or anything, so you have to count manually to guess what map you're picking. It's not that big of a bug, but it is annoying.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

When you're controlling a unit you can go underwater if its amphibious but your view stays slightly above the water.
Manveru

Bug's diary

Post by Manveru »

Random net msg error (in lan game)
-> player can't move anymore or is kicked.

Krogoth rockets that are sometimes an infinite amount of time in the air circling around (no timeout).

Hawks on partrol don't attack krogoth.

Energie / metal subtraction number shows the actually and not the requested decrease (eg: +117 / -117 and zero metal and not +117 / -320).

Can't shoot my own units in first person view. Targeting circle disappears or doesn't move further. (Bug or feature i don't like?.)

Core only?: Units don't patrol after giving "move there" shift "patrol there" (seen at aircrafts). @Arms this works perfectly.

No fist person view on build units and some others (e.g. spider mines, transporters).

Cannot move chat window.

Sometimes construction aircraft stops guarding a plant after some (long) time.

Tab doesn't switch the sidetab with the instructions on it (bug or feature?).

Construction aircrafts block the guarded plane due to hovering over it .

Builded units try to move directly to the given point instead of first leaving the plant (-> they block it).

Construction aircrafts help plants. In original TA they didn't (I liked it bc. then they repair more).

Construction aricrafts try to repair other aircrafts (e.g. brawler) which is on patrol so they have no chance to repair it and will follow it all over the map.

Btw: It's so great!! It gives me the old rts feeling back. I love it!
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

Hey this doesn't look right... Spot the all-terrain-solarpanels:

http://www.brodie-tyrrell.org/john/Bug1a.jpg
http://www.brodie-tyrrell.org/john/Bug1b.jpg

Seems to happen with all buildings when building in 'line mode'.
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Id show you images but i dont know how :?:

1. when writing text on multiplayer the text goes off the screen u make a spelling mistake n u cant tell
2. kbots that are being buit can be selected and some of them can be moved whilst bulding away from the factory i even had one start building something else as he was being made only checked with (Arm tech level one kbot facotry)
3. you cannot see how much junk metal and trees are worth when being tempted to pick them up
4. you cannot target trees!!!! so you have to go into your commander or other things n dgun em urself or just reclaim them
5. if a turret or large cannon such as a big bertha has something in its way say a mountain it will refuse to attack targets behind which is unlike the first one where u could hit the side of the mountain with your vulcan cannon (and oon this one u cd probably remove the mountain
6. there should be a limit to the effect of ground movement as a commander can build a phsical trench with his dgun that cannot be raised if there is a sea level and it goes under water
7. With everyones hated enemy windows XP with a radeon 7000 graphics card and more drivers and a faster cpu than u can shake a stick at, a multiplayer game seems to have a fixation on letting you into a game joining and playing.... then suddenly 0.30 to 5 mins later into the game you get the delightful message Spring.exe has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down, this error is not related to a firewall as some of the times it lets you play there is some programs it clashes with such as norton antivirus and things like that. Maybe its like a texture or object being made that crashes it
8. You cannot go down on the map menu and see the names when messing baout in the single player type mode
9. This one is the strangest when playing on a metal level called core industrial area or something i dont remember cant read the name on my map list lol my commander only in a multiplayer game managed to walk through a wall is that a level fault or packet loss with a bad connection?
10. being in control of the annihilator sometimes it refuses to open for you to fire

I know i sound like a nasty sarcastic *%$"&$ but really i love you people to peices and have played on this game for 12 hours straight and almost had a heart attack after finding that there was a decent 3d version of TA this awsome thankyou you brave people who stepped up to the task of making it! :-)
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

Ok, don't know if this is a bug or not, but basically when I load spring.exe and hit Yes, run a script, select a map...the game loads fine, but after I "hit return to start", well...nothing happens. I tried turning all the options off, turning all the sliders down all the way, tried running it fullscreen and windowed...no dice. This is frustrating, and I'm fairly certain it's not my computer because I have other games that have much higher visual quality which run just fine.

Pentium III 800mhz 384mb ram, GeForce 4 MX 420 >_> Games like Unreal II, I can run at 800x600 32bit with most options low or moderate with decent framerate for the most part. Spring isn't anywhere near the graphical quality of games like that or Homeworld: Cataclysm, and other games like that...Running Windows 98SE, but still...

Yes, I've seen other threads about this on the forums, but people just generally answer them with "get a better video card" or "update your drivers"...etc. As everyone knows, the latest NVIDIA drivers are insanely buggy and as such shouldn't be downloaded. So yeah, I doubt that's the issue.

I'd appreciate some thought out help here, not the typical "get a computer that doesn't suck" or similar. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but when it runs games that have far higher visual quality and such, I expect games of lesser visual complexity like Spring to work.

(Aside from this, from what I've seen Spring looks great so far, so don't take this post as being negative about it as a whole. Just alerting you to possible bugs or whatnot.)

Note: Yes, I installed the "Regular" install. It doesn't seem like my computer has any trouble rendering the map by itself, as you can see here...

Everything seems to work just great except for the lack of units (and therefore any things relating to units don't work of course). Seems like the game is "paused", since as you can see no steam rising from thermal vents, and the metal/energy bars are stuck on partial...but the FPS is hardly sluggish (this shot is with all settings turned down/off...ugly, but it should in theory work still)[/img]
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

*sigh* Which version did you download?
Delta

Post by Delta »

try downloading it from somewhere else...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Did you download the REGULAR INSTALLER?
Delta

Post by Delta »

Note: Yes, I installed the "Regular" install. It doesn't seem like my computer has any trouble rendering the map by itself, as you can see here...
yes he did
EnlightenedOne

Post by EnlightenedOne »

Hey guys me again i found some more bugs and infact a solution

Bug when you start a game it crashes randomly within the first 1-10 mins

Solution reinstall the latest patch before having another round and it doesnt seem to crash

could it be that theres some log thta is altered as the game progresses that has something that makes the game become unstable? someone should look into that

one more bug for you i found in a game that when we had 4 people playing and one spectator and we chose our start locations the spectator had the power to move my start position even after i had hit ready! so yeah that one shd probably be looked into aswell
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:*sigh* Which version did you download?
The latest, 0.52 or whatever it is.

And I downloaded it from here, not from Fileplanet >_>

Oh, and another thread relating to this issue seems to have a post that might clear this up. The guy also was running 98, but got it working by running Spring through Linux and WINE, which might indicate an issue the program has with the 98 OS...maybe? >_>
munch

Repeatable crash with test data

Post by munch »

Code: Select all

Install:    0.50b2 (0.41b1 small install + 0.50b2 core)
Map:        Africa coast
Game:       Offline, running "random enemies" script
Test Data:  (see map)
Mod:        All mods (tested with XTA, OTA and AA)
Platform:   WinXP Home on Athlon 2500+/512MB
Crash:      more or less as soon as "Return to start game" is pressed.
Occasionally I get as far as seeing commander before crash occurs.

The game does not crash if the "Empty script" is used, so that there are no units on the map. Similarly when using "random enemies", the game never crashes until you hit "Return" to start. I've tried it maybe 10 times.

I've used other non-square maps OK without crashing.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the map in case it got corrupted, deleting the .pe and .pe2 files in between times in case they got corrupted.

Happy debugging.

Munch
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I've played Africa Coast online many times without a single crash. I think the problem may be on your machine.

LordMatt.
munch

Africa Coast

Post by munch »

LordMatt wrote:I've played Africa Coast online many times without a single crash. I think the problem may be on your machine.

LordMatt.
Hi There,

You may well be right, in which case reproduceability could be a problem! However note that when I've used the map on-line (tried it last night) it didn't crash on me for a long time either. Long enough to have a game maybe (I was just testing stuff out)? Could you try using the map offline with "random enemies"? Ta.

Even if it doesn't fail on everybody's machine doesn't mean it's not a problem. LOL if you want to produce decent software you can't take an "I'm alright Jack" attitude when it comes to crashes!

FWIW here are couple of quotes from the map forum Africa Coast topic (talking about on-line play I assume http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... 6392#16392):
mongus wrote:has crashed the 3 times iv tried to play it.
at about 10 mins of play.
CnlPepper (the map author) wrote:The texture map is 8192x2048 (8*1024 by 2 *1024) the metal map is the same. The height map is 1025 x 257 (8*128+1 by 2*128+1). Exactly the dimensions as required by mapconv.

Still crashes, no explanation thus far.

CnlPepper - bothered....!
I guess you read those already, having posted to that thread yourself, but maybe the debuggers didn't ;-)

Cheers

Munch
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Could you try using the map offline with "random enemies"? Ta.
As I said in the other thread, I tried that without crash. Now, this map would have crashed the game before non-square maps were implemented. Are you sure those others who were complaining were using the latest version?

My point about online play was that I played that map a bunch with people, and it wasn't crashing on their machines either.

LordMatt.
munch

Post by munch »

LordMatt wrote: My point about online play was that I played that map a bunch with people, and it wasn't crashing on their machines either.
OK great - so let's get some machine/install specs posted and we might see a pattern (e.g. maybe everbody who has problems used the small install).

Munch
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I used the full install initally, and have updated using the core install. I have this system

Code: Select all

AMD FX-53: stock HSF, Artic Silver 5
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum: BIOS v1.8
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200: 2.2.2.10, 1T, dual channel
eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB
Western Digital Raptor 74GB \ Plextor 716A DVD DL
Antec NeoPower 480W with 32A on 12V rail \ Cooler Master Praetorian Silver
LordMatt.

Return to “Help & Bugs”