Feature Request For Features

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Aurora

Post by Aurora »

EDIT:
JJ45 wrote:I want a 4x4 (16 squares) obstacle object, height 8. I think it could be a block with the bottom face removed, and with some stone-brickwall texture. It should take about a minute for a commander to reclaim. Could anyone do that?

Here, I made a texture for it:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4035/walllt4.png
Last edited by Aurora on 03 Feb 2007, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

lots of features, low poly or otherwise, still cause lag. Flozi or SpikedHelmet tried to map a countryside map for S:44, with fields of wheat in. This was done with hordes of low poly (4 faces) stalks, and it lagged terribly
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Were you perhaps using antialiasing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

it is a known fact, stated by the devs: many features on a map cause system slowdown.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

LOrDo wrote:Were you perhaps using antialiasing?
If the lines were antialiased, I'd have to specify the obstacle object for all the different shades of the line, which would just be pointlessly timetaking. Hence, it's not an anti-aliased line.
smoth wrote:it is a known fact, stated by the devs: many features on a map cause system slowdown.
Make the obstacle's size 4x4 pixels on the feature map, then. I'll make the line consist of points with 3 pixels between each.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

smoth wrote:it is a known fact, stated by the devs: many features on a map cause system slowdown.
Hell that fact was proven eons ago when i made Conquerors Isle, all the forests i tried making ended up causing such massive slowdown that ppl would just burn all the forests down just to get the game to run smoother.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Do features always have to be on flat terrain, by the way?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I would cite that map quanto but it is better to cite one of the devs otherwise some new forum member may decide to argue with me about it. Which of course you and I know does happen to me :\
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

I'm not here to argue about them causing system slowdown, and I won't. I don't see what there is to argue about it, it's pretty logical that too much stuff will kill the game. If my map gets slow, then I'll simply have to come up with a solution that requires less objects.

I want a 4x4 (16 squares) obstacle object, height 8. I think it could be a block with the bottom face removed, and with some stone-brickwall texture. It should take about a minute for a commander to reclaim. Could anyone do that?

Here, I made a texture for it:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4035/walllt4.png
Last edited by Aurora on 01 Feb 2007, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Problem is that A.) Airplanes can fly over it (probably a way to prevent this, though) and B.) Most people won't wait for it to get reclaimed and just use the ol' D-gun. (I don't know if there is a way to prevent this.)
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

That's not a problem. I don't want airplanes to be magically blocked by something hundreds of meters below. Also, the reason I said reclaim was just to measure the strength.
Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

...? Isn't reclaim time based on metal/energy value?

...eg. Fortress walls are hard to destroy, but reclaim quickly...?

I'm confused.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Well I have no idea, just make the things strong.
Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

reclaim time is mostly based upon energy content of the thing you're trying to reclaim.
metal content doesn't really matter. You can set the object's hardness too - which means how hard is it to destroy by force and that has nothing to do with energy or metal content.
manored

Post by manored »

Why dont you draw those lines on the texture map instead?
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

manored wrote:Why dont you draw those lines on the texture map instead?
In case you did not know, it is not possible to put features on the texture map. I don't see what the hell the point would be in doing so even if it was possible, though.
Goolash_ wrote:reclaim time is mostly based upon energy content of the thing you're trying to reclaim.
metal content doesn't really matter. You can set the object's hardness too - which means how hard is it to destroy by force and that has nothing to do with energy or metal content.
In that case, the obstacle should contain lots of energy and have a high hardness. How much, I don't know. We'll just have to try and see when, or if, someone creates this object.
manored

Post by manored »

JJ45 wrote:
manored wrote:Why dont you draw those lines on the texture map instead?
In case you did not know, it is not possible to put features on the texture map. I don't see what the hell the point would be in doing so even if it was possible, though.
I was not talking about putting the feature on the texture map, I was talking about drawing lines in the texture map where the super tiny features would be because, if I understood well, the objective of their existance is just to mark the "country" territory right?
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Their purpose would be to act as practical country borders, not just mark them. That's why they should take a while to destroy. It would be entirely pointless to only have a few lines drawn across the map.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

How about elevated terrain? Use a typemap to make it soft enough to level with a bit of artillery...
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

No. I'll try that if objects fail, though. If someone would only make the object now.

Return to “Map Creation”