The one reason why XTA isn't fun

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

it's bassicly a race who can get to level 2 first because for example

one level 2 unit will destroy every level 1 units

for example 1 goliath can kill 100 flashes no problemo

also defenses suck, even vs level 1 units
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

I'm guessing you haven't put a HLT up yet <_<
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

in fact i did but those we're finished in no time. i even teethed them, but 1 mav just kills it.

or 10 flashses
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It's not "a race to level 2", since level 2 is accessible from the start, by every lowly cons and the commander.
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

well a race who can afford it first,..
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

lvl2 is better than lvl1 because they are lvl2! They are supposed to be far better. Besides, a goliath costs soooo much anyway....

And dont say defences suck, HLTs own all

The only thing i dont like is how over powered the kroggies are...but it think they are trying to fix the problems....apparantly damage is not being delt to it properly or something.

Just play the game! if u dont like it get a mod
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Want your mod complaints to be heard and treated seriously?

http://www.planetannihilation.com/aa
mongus

omg...

Post by mongus »

Just dont waste time on a guy that has not learned how to play and will never take it seriously... pass!
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

The Solution- EvOTA OTA with COOL build pics :D
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

well it's just my opinion

When level 2 is reached --> ALL level 1 units are useless, that's wrong imo
ekke

Post by ekke »

like I said before, moste people cant the strategy of XTA! ;)
Frog

Post by Frog »

I always thought it was wrong in OTA, where most lvl2 units are useless....
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

level one bots have ALWAYS been useless, don't blame XTA
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Not rockos. Rockos are built in great swarms to deforest missile tower forests in regular TA games.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I agree with ekke :P

Maybe you should try to harass your enemy more while he is L1. I've seen countless guys die because they thought L2 was the bomb and got overwhelmed by the enemy who thought he'd first spend his metal on L1 units while the other guy only had a L2 plant. Besides for L2 you have Annihilators/Vipers. And yes you shouldn't expect 1 HLT to stop a goliath(it's a driving BB). But hey a Gollie will cost you 4000 metal(or was it 2000) but still that will get you a lot of HLT's. And even a krogoth is useless if he walks into 15 HLTs. So maybe you should first try to learn, instead of comment about things you don't grasp yet.

It's possible you're talking about the 'no attack within 20 minutes games'. In that case it's probably true to go for L2 as fast as possible. If I play a map 10k10k with XTA I just build an adv kbot lab, a fark, and start building pyros or zeus like crazy.
ekke

Post by ekke »

I dont mean to be rude, but moste ppl here cant even handle ota, how are they gonna handle xta , where you actually have you use the units not just build a few of them ..
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

They can learn! :P
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Level 1 units win the game as often as level 2 (believe me have one like the past 3 games with them) They key is to migrate to level2 when you have the opportunity, NOT mean as quickly as possible, because if you do that then you are giving your opponent the break he or she needs. Here's why;

Early in the game, you should set up a construction unit to go around claiming LOTS of metal. You also need vehicles and kbots to kill your opponents construction units trying to do the same thing.

If your opponent doesn't invest as much resources as you into the level 1 because he is rushing for level 2 units, then to still survive he needs defence towers, because for the same cost as a few level 1 units they are significantly better.

However, defence towers mean you can't expand. So you will be mining 4-5 times the metal of your opponent. That means that they get level 2 units first, but by the time they have gotten two or three of them, you will have about ten, plus a large level 1 army.

Instead of complaining about XTA, try and play it, maybe you will learn. I had never played XTA before i played it on Spring, but its really awsome.
AzraelTheCat

Post by AzraelTheCat »

Well, in my opinion, right now, as Spring is, lacking stun attacks. Core is the better side. There is no real way to stop a large goliath attack. EMPs, one of the best weapons vs Core big units, is worthless. Don't think Spiders stun at all in XTA. Annialators, the good Arm defence, is seriously flawed in it's AI. Biuld one with DT infront of it, and it can't fire. Even though it's obviously higher. But without some changes to implement the rest of TA's features, the game is unbalanced.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Really, I can think of more then a couple...

:wink:

Return to “Game Development”