Mac Binary Release - Page 3

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

elio

Post by elio »

Last thing I heard the fragment_program_shadow.ext was still only on the Mac Pros, but it may be now on all intels.

If you get the spiny curser, force quit would work; unless it wasn't spring related? (network drive dropout maybe?) Keep a note of anything if it happens again :)

start with your commander, and d-gun without moving in a few directions, and you'll see what's meant

It's accessing memory it shouldn't for some reason.. (out of order instruction maybe? endian issue? loop problem?) could you describe a bit more about what happened, what you did leading up to it, etc

cool :)

Now that's an interesting problem; not sure if it's spring related or not. does it happen all the time?
bamb

Post by bamb »

elio wrote:
1) I have this message in the in-game console at beginning.

Code: Select all

You are missing an OpenGL extension needed to use shadowmaps(fragment_program_shadow)
For some reason some other part of code tried to turn on shadows. anything other that Intel Mac Pros that had that special openGL update have that program, at least until 10.5; complain to apple.
It's a problem that has been on windows side for some versions too: even if I have shadows off in the menu, i still get the error message. (No doubt some brainiac's gonna tell me "turn the shadows off in settings.exe" soon.)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

If it runs, just ignore it :wink:
elio

Post by elio »

It's there irrelevant to your shadows setting; I think it's related to the text; was text shadowing added recently? ext_shadow would be more than fine to handle that I would think...

Edit, and by complain to apple; the hardware support is there, it's even to an extent in the drivers, but the apple openGL engine lacks the support for it
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

I retried and it's just a problem with the map. Bad choice├óÔé¼┬ª
Island in the Sun.

It happens when I first move on the map.
elio

Post by elio »

I'll download it and have a look.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

I just tested Atlantic maps, and I got the problem. This one was a true freeze. No log. I had the time to move on the map and move the commander.

Maybe this is something with water, no?

edit:
3 things:
I had a crash loading a game with AA222 mods because of a not found file: "Error: sounds/button9.wav".

Is that normal that when I use inside view for the nuclear missile launcher or the mobile missile launcher, and I aim something, when I go back in regular view it automatically fire where I was aiming?

Last thing, the cursor change shape for deferent use, but the action is not applied. Example: I select the commander I aim a friendly vehicle to repair it, the cursor change, I click and it just select the vehicle.
elio

Post by elio »

the Atlantic world map works fine for me; only one I've tried so far. Checked all the files and references are current for 0.74b2/3 builds of spring?

if you remember back it TA days, there was an option to turn on/off one click actions, where it does more what you'd expect; the other command click way is how spring (and TA on the PC) worked, except for using right click instead. So if you don't have a 2nd mouse button, check the keybind config and rebind it. That action will do what the the default symbol is; it allows you to select without needing to deselect. Personally I'm still not accustomed to it.
Last edited by elio on 18 Jan 2007, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Aurelio wrote:Is that normal that when I use inside view for the nuclear missile launcher or the mobile missile launcher, and I aim something, when I go back in regular view it automatically fire where I was aiming?
Dunno about the others. but this is a known spring bug. the windows users has it as well.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

I get a lot of crashes on maps with 3d features. They don't even boot up actually.

Also had a complete system freeze when using AAI on castles.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

I had this thing again├óÔé¼┬ª

An other map with water (Bethezda), I could play for 4 min. And then, the game freeze and what I could do was moving the mouse, take a screenshot and turn off the sound.(Realy slowly)
After that, I put it in sleep, and wake it up. But this time, the screen was blue, but still I could move the mouse and the computer was apparently fine(disk and fan activity). It was processing something, probably with the GPU too, because I heard the charachteristic sound├óÔé¼┬ª

After 20min, I turn it off with the power button and restarted it.

No log! :(

Checked all the files and references are current for 0.74b2/3 builds of spring?
What do you mean by that?
elio

Post by elio »

By these freezes, force quit's not working? I can't understand why it wouldn't...

And I'd need more info than after a few minutes etc, what you did's important the whole time (there might be AI problems by the sounds of things..

Quote:
Checked all the files and references are current for 0.74b2/3 builds of spring?
What do you mean by that?
there were changes to things over these builds that stopped somethings working
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

elio wrote:By these freezes, force quit's not working? I can't understand why it wouldn't...
No. Me too├óÔé¼┬ª
And I'd need more info than after a few minutes etc, what you did's important the whole time (there might be AI problems by the sounds of things..
The first time, I just moved the mouse to move on the maps and it just freeze when it begin to move.
The second time, I could reach the Commander, move it and it freezed.
The third and fourth time, I could build many building and vehicle, but there was no fight.

It was the script "Commander" that worked nicely with "no-water" maps.

The last time, I was checking the top utility in the terminal while playing. I didn't see the crash coming├óÔé¼┬ª Everything was fine (cpu:56%) and boom, the terminal freezed too.[/quote]
elio

Post by elio »

try running it in windowed mode, and see if it results any differently.
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

That was in windowed mode.
elio

Post by elio »

so it crashes your whole computer running in window mode; force quit doesn't work, and there's nothing to suggest what could cause it? I've tried installing it on a fresh g5, and it doesn't seem to have this problem...

I need more details...
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio »

I tried many things and nothing worked├óÔé¼┬ª :(

Maybe trying it with a debug build in Xcode?
Or activating a log to dump everything in real time?

I don't know.
elio

Post by elio »

it is technically a debug build, just with symbols stripped to local files. Could I have the steps, map names, mod names, the process you went through that triggered the silent crash? I've tried from what you've said, and just cant reproduce it.
elio

Post by elio »

Okay, I've managed to locate with some help what our problem seems to be; we've a rather big endian issue with the s3o code that's causing these problems.
elio

Patch!

Post by elio »

We have a patch for the above issues (I hope). Tis stripped down to focus on it, but I think it's solved thus please test:

What was causing crashes
Different Maps
Graphics glitches, problems, errors, colours out, anything seeming odd and different to x86 spring. (Nvidia user comments would be much appreciated)
AI maybe?

Link
Just replace SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/SpringRTS with the extracted binary file.

Special mentions to desertlynx and somazx for their support :P 8)

Return to “Mac OS X”