New Map - Tropical

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

hunterw

New Map - Tropical

Post by hunterw »

CLICK THIS TO DOWNLOAD THE MAP

Desync problem fixed by recompiling the map.:roll:
old version is named Tropic, the fixed version is named Tropical. Delete Tropic, it is worthless crap!

Tropical is:

18x20, meant for 4v4's and 5v5's.

In a word, it's going to be different due to the carefully constructed heightmap for the middle. I've custom-tailored the height for specific units of BA and AA. This map will require some new strategies to be made, as units that don't normally meet will have plenty of conflict around the islands.

Compared to Tangerine it has about 1/3 the amount of metal in rocks (ie, rocks are much less important...all players on land get 300 metal worth of rocks, and there's a small cache of 700 metal on the middle island, for a total of 3100 metal total in rocks). The real change from Tangerine is the metal spots, both the amount and placement. As there are roughly 50% more metal spots, the yield per spot has been decreased from 1.8 to 1.5 for regular mexes.

So here's what's going on...

overhead:

metal view (F4):

movement view (F2) for your run-of-the-mill kbot:

movement view (F2) for an average vehicle:

movement view (F2) for most ships:

movement view (F2) for submarines / large ships (not flagships)

It's very similar in terms of aesthetics to Tangerine. The next map I make will use SM3, so I'll go all out, model up some features for it and whatnot. I just needed to build something different to play, so here it is!

and here's my favorite screeny...what other map offers this :o
Last edited by hunterw on 19 Jan 2007, 07:32, edited 9 times in total.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

looks very promising
Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

looks very nice, i think and hope this won't play as porcy as tangerine.
Good job.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Very nice. Hopefully gameplay will be less porcy.

Edit: LOL what he said.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Man, do I love breaking porc on Tangerine.

Thanks for the new map hunterw. Going to be playing it at the usual time?
danzel

Post by danzel »

I am looking forward to playing this map :D

Edit: Bah, vehicles have about the same movement area as kbots, was hoping they wouldn't be able to cross the middle as easy :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

As kbots have a move value of 36 (which means they can climb damn near anything), it would probably be better in the future to show vehicle movement.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

vehicles, specifically level 1 vehicles have a handicap on this map though, as some cannot shoot when travelling underwater (some are too short, ie flashes)

going to host a game on it right now and see what happens...should get some screenshots as well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I'll take a look in gundam.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

here's an interesting problem.

the rocks on this map cause a desync for everyone who plays it. the desync isn't immediately after the rocks are eaten, and not just one rock does it...it's almost random as to which rock after it's eaten causes the desync.

everyone has the same version of the map, there is only one, so it's not due to that.

WTF???
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Looks cool, I'll give it a spin.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Take your copy out of the maps dir and redownload it. I suspect your copy is somehow different.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

did that already to eliminate that possibility. it's not an issue of different versions.

i've even d/led the map from all the different mirrors and ran checksums on all of them in order to make sure that the off chance of some mirror having a corrupt version wasn't screwing everything up, but that's not the case either.

if anyone likes i can post demos of it happening...the demos are only like 50 kB cause it happens within 30 seconds. i'm really at a loss here. i can just release it without rocks, but i'd really prefer to have them.
Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

did you alter the rock values (metal, damage, etc...) for this map? you probably did, if so try testing a version where you're using rocks that work (from tangerine for instance) and see if it still de-syncs, if this stops the desyncing just try re-adjusting your rock values. if the map still deyncs it might have nothing to do with the rocks...
this is just a thought - i really don't know enough about how spring works in order to make anything else but educated guesses.
espylaub

Post by espylaub »

Excellent skybox, really adds to the map. Hope you get that syncing problem fixed, because it looks great!
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

they are the same exact rocks from tangerine, i've just altered the metal yield.

i've probably just encountered some incredibly obscure compile bug or something. could always just try with some different rocks...i hate to spend all the time to make and uv map something as basic as a rock - if i'm going to go to that trouble i'm going to make some palm trees or something, and i'm too lazy to even do that. i'll just ask around and see if anyone will let me use their rocks.

then again, if i do that i'll still be aggravated that i never found what the problem is with these rocks.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

should put a higher proportion of the metal in the middle areas, SO MANY PEOPLE porc atm. like make the spots in the start zone give 50% less and the ones in the middle give 50% more. just an idea :-)
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

porc atm? meaning someone's successfully playing this map (!), or just a general trend?

the middle has 25 spots, and each big porcable island has 24, so if one team just porcs off, the team that claims middle will have roughly twice as much metal. this isn't counting the water metal spots though.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

ok i've fixed the problem by recompiling the map.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

to avoid version mismatches, the new map is named Tropical.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Can I see the grass texture you used in lldt?

Return to “Map Releases”