where is the IMDN

where is the IMDN

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

monohouse

where is the IMDN

Post by monohouse »

well, a fancy US-style name for something much much simpler than it sounds : instant messaging developer network, more like a (much) faster alternative to mailing list, I don't know if one exists but if it doesn't I would like to explain the reasons for "inventing" sutch a "thing".

there are some things that developers would like to talk about in the code, questions about the spring code for example (methods of coding features, program design etc..), and it will not be enough to send a mailing list to all developers about some function that for example I am analyzing, also it will allow people to know who is working on what without looking too far, and find all the developers in a place regardless of when they check the email.

I did not find sutch a thing here and I did not find it anywhere else, so instead of trying to contact every developer personally and use too many instant messaging protocols (for each one) I thought it might be useful to setup a "place" where all the developers could find each other, be that IRC or some other chat-room-based where you can see them all in one place, IRC is a (bad) example, but there is something mutch mutch better...

still in case I missed it, does anyone know of the spring's instant messaging developer network's location ?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

telepathy ftw!
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

looool, no but actually I was thinking more like THIS as in RSA ftw!
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I don't think the devs want more ways for you to contact them, given your recent posts in development. :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AFLobby will have simple filesharing and contact lists by the time beta 4 rolls around. It should have all the basic tools of an IM network save stuff like video and voice chats.
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

you whant to use tasclient.exe as a development network ?
lol? as in sounds weird but still a legitimate solution.
some people here need to work on interpreting what other people write, and what they mean, and I think they need to work on that alote.

still the reason I thought that sutch a thing is required is because you have to wait for an answer to a question like 24 hours, you can't do much work like that, so faster connections are needed, im sure it will improve development efficiency and will allow developers to make more progress.

mail and posting are really slow, and as mentioned above the interpretation is an another huge problem because until you explain to someone what you mean takes 24 hours, and in that time the other person already thinks that you mean something else, and then thinks that what you're trying to correct is something completely different, severe problem here, when sending messages it can be easily corrected.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

You can find the information in question with the search function or in the wiki... somewhere. Yes it's well hidden.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

you whant to use tasclient.exe as a development network ?
=O I'm quite insulted by that. Please dont barge into the forum and starting asking stuff without bringing yourself upto date. AFLobby != tasclient.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

That doesn't work anyway, irc is sufficient as developer communication channel. The possibility to use the lobby for that has existed for a long time already but since we don't use it for dev chatter I doubt we'd suddenly do...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats just you the core devs though. I use it all the time, as have a number of people. You'd be surprised how many players routinely join the lobby with no intention of playing games to discuss these sorts of things, and how many projects have passed by that havent registered on your radars because "we don't use it for dev chatter". AIs, lobbies, mods, tools, patches, groupAI, maps, lobby bots etc.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I know that (and I'm not surprised). I don't see the point of having everything that's being made on my "radar" though. The good stuff will be filtered out by the mass anyway...

Also, irc has more features (regarding chat) and more/better clients then the lobby server, plus it has proven to be very valuable to have a communication channel that doesn't depend on Fnordia's connection...

I think monohouse was talking about the core devs.
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

no one will miss this post -moderator
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well thats sort of typical if you dont have them on the radar, afterall all you can do is assume.

A lot of smaller projects have been started which had a hefty chunk of ptential but because they werent on your radar they died off.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Erm, no.

If something is on my radar it doesn't mean I'm going to pick it up if the original author stops or something, nor do I feel obliged to talk to everyone who makes stuff to motivate them or something.

Basically you suggest that if I had known about certain projects, without the author even knowing I knew about them, then they wouldn't have died off :? I doubt thats what you mean....
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No, thats not how things usually occur in the lobby.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

so what's your point then?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

What is this, the annoy the devs thread?
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

I've seen this movie before..

Still fun though. Some beer and chips, anyone?:twisted:

i believe my other post actually made sense
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Tobi wrote:so what's your point then?
I wasnt aware I had one.

However you made quite a few terrible assumptions underestimations discriminations and inferences.
The good stuff will be filtered out by the mass anyway...

to have a communication channel that doesn't depend on Fnordia's connection...

If something is on my radar it doesn't mean I'm going to pick it up if the original author stops or something, nor do I feel obliged to talk to everyone who makes stuff to motivate them or something.

irc is sufficient as developer communication channel
hence my replies.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

My point is that you really shouldn't be posting without having a point.
However you made quite a few terrible assumptions underestimations discriminations and inferences.
You make small stuff sound as if people are being killed

Return to “Engine”