Release.... Four Lakes v2

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Hopefully I added enough crossing points, which are all passable for all ground units as well as ships.

Link.... http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=show&a=it&id=4158

Screens
http://muf.222clan.com/screen012.jpg
http://muf.222clan.com/screen013.jpg
Last edited by mufdvr222 on 12 Jan 2007, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Why didn't you release both versions? I liked them both.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

I will release the other one, this being potentially the better map gameplay wise I wanted to release it first.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

I think this version will be superior. One ocean > three oceans.

I didn't think it was possible, but the shallow water bridges are simultaneously deep enough for submarines and shallow enough for weasels. :shock: Weasels, flashes, and other short units are unable to fire when they cross, as they are completely submerged.

I want to play a game on it, but until then I can still offer some feedback...

-There are two strengths of metal patches on this map, I think they were 1.6 and 2.2 or so. I'd like it if the patch texture would reflect which is the stronger type, as right now the only way to tell is F4.

-You should make use of the WaterAbsorb variables in the .smd file. As of right now, it doesn't seem like the water absorbs any light. With reflective water on and the camera straight above the ocean, it's almost impossible to tell that water is there.
I was excited to see that Spring offered this ability, because you can make water act very similar to how it does in real life; water first absorbs higher wavelength light (red), then lower wavelength (green), and only the lowest wavelengths are not absorbed (blue). I think I found a pretty good setting for Tangerine:
WaterAbsorb=0.012 0.0060 0.0045;

-Your detail texture doesn't seem to be working, at least not for me. I've not yet used a custom one, just the default, so I don't know what to tell you is wrong. If I had to guess, I'd say to check the color depth of your detailtex.bmp and make sure it's the same as other people's.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Looks really good!!

My only complain is that it's missing features.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

@ hunterw There are two metal patch types,, have another look :wink:
And I did use a detail tex. :P

@ Noize I looked at some of the rocks that are around, and I don`t like them, they also don`t suite this map, and I don`t make features in any case so there it is. 8) <edit> but I agree some suitable rocks would look great.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Adjusting the texture/size could be enough... worth a try @ least!
manored

Post by manored »

Where are the four lakes? Im just seeing a big strange shaped one :-) .
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Very nice map. Great strategy-promoting layout as well.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

manored wrote:Where are the four lakes? Im just seeing a big strange shaped one :-) .
I am the first to admit its a crappy name, oh well :?
manored

Post by manored »

mufdvr222 wrote:
manored wrote:Where are the four lakes? Im just seeing a big strange shaped one :-) .
So... why you gave him this name?
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

I think features, like old houses, some broken down trees, etc, would enhance the feel this map has. it's quite awesome, btw :)
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

manored wrote:
mufdvr222 wrote:
So... why you gave him this name?
The shallow connections between the lakes used to be land bridges, hence four lakes.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

BvDorp wrote:I think features, like old houses, some broken down trees, etc, would enhance the feel this map has. it's quite awesome, btw :)
The ideal building type for this map would be something like these.

Goolash_

Post by Goolash_ »

i think that hosting that file on your own and not posting it in UF is not a smart move, i tried hosting a game in that map and having to post the link every time someone joins and having people say they cant find the map all the time is not really fun...
smoth

Post by smoth »

those are ta:K scaled. but they are now possible thanks to the alphas
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Goolash_ wrote:i think that hosting that file on your own and not posting it in UF is not a smart move, i tried hosting a game in that map and having to post the link every time someone joins and having people say they cant find the map all the time is not really fun...
Map uploaded to FU, other links are updated.

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=show&a=it&id=4158
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Strategia wrote:
The shallow connections between the lakes used to be land bridges, hence four lakes.

more like 3 lakes :? :arrow: :| :o :shock:

i think it will be pretty easy to hold the shallow connections with torpedo launchers / depth charge launchers - land vehicles get utterly pwned by torpedos. i still have not played it though, so i can't say anything definitively.
manored

Post by manored »

Yeah but since the leght of the crossing isnt very big, you will be able to take those out with artilary :-) .
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Torpedo launchers do pwn, but are indeed easily taken out by artillery, air or a determined assault.

Return to “Map Releases”