rendering importance - Page 2

rendering importance

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

This is kinda irrelevant in this subforum, but as it stands.

My issues with sm3 are...

f keys when pressed look like spaghetti

I can't lay grass or the default trees

FLOURING tile size! Why can't I have the simple option of having the tile size be the exact size of the texture? Is that so hard (more of a rhetorical question here, mixed with a gripe)?

SM3 stretches non square tiles to be square, which means I have to find a new rock texture anyway.

So far, I can only get sm3 maps to work at map size 16x16 and 32x32.

Also, bump mapping from far away looks blurry (generalization).

With these small things in mind, it's almost not worth it to mess with atm. Which is why I stated previously that I didn't believe that sm3 was ready for public consumption yet. I'm also not trying to piss in anyone's (read JC's) coffee here, and any debunking/workarounds of the above mentioned points would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing that is needed is a bumpmap blend setting. We need to be able in the sm3 to control how much the bumpmap is blended into the map, preferably by a scale of 0.0 - 1.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Actually f keys are already fixed in 0.74b2 iirc, and grass and trees can be placed. But I'm not sure if ill continue on it, I rather spend my time on the osrts/CE thing.
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

what is osrts/ce anyway ? did they decide on the language yet ?
yhea there is a good chance to improve contribution efficiency if you write the code, so you don't have to spend 2x more time trying to understand someone else's, that's why I think the original people that wrote spring should be developing it and not new developers who will waste lots of time just figuring out what is happening in there.

I heard the osrts dudes want to use .NET for programming, lol?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

lol, you never stop proving your stupidity. Im not even going to argue with you anymore.
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

argue ? that's a discussion, not arguement, besidse you're here to make me smart, otherwise how else will I understand ? what's the problem nigga ?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Ok I may have put it a little blunt, but seriously, we're not an helpdesk service or an online programming school (This applies to all your threads). I'm not here to answer every question of you. If you would be a skilled game programmer, contributing to spring wouldn't be such a hard task, but all the signs show otherwise.

Maybe work on a simple game first?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

monohouse wrote:you know there are lots of people with non-programmable video cards, such as the Geforce 2 GTS 2, Geforce 3, Geforce 4 Ti 4600, pre-Radeon 9700's and the like, there is no chance that shader effects can be done without shaders ?
These cards all have programmable pixel and vertex shaders :-)
I remember myself coding asm for pixel and vertex shader for gerforce 2 GPU in xbox clearly..
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Actually the first time pixel shaders (ps1.0) were accessible on PC was on a geforce 3, geforce 1/2 only had hardware transform & lighting.

Maybe the xbox had a different version?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

It had ps 1.1 (with some limitations and some extra stuff compared to standard gfx cards) .. so perhaps it was gf3 based after all .. I can't remember, I haven't work on 3d stuff since I left game industry several years ago :)

Anyway , gf3 and gf4 certainly have ps and vs..
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

I see, im just too stupid to know that, well isn't that why the great smart jcnossen is here ?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

monohouse wrote:I see, im just too stupid to know that, well isn't that why the great smart jcnossen is here ?
Go away and stop wasting peoples time. Irritating people is not the way to get them to help you. :|
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

jcnossen wrote:Actually f keys are already fixed in 0.74b2 iirc, and grass and trees can be placed. But I'm not sure if ill continue on it, I rather spend my time on the osrts/CE thing.
Oh really? sweet
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

LordMatt wrote: Go away and stop wasting peoples time. Irritating people is not the way to get them to help you. :|
QFT.
monohouse wrote:what's the problem nigga ?
Everytime I need a laugh at a dumbarse... ill just quote that ;)
mongus

Post by mongus »

:shock:

where did the discussion start?

and why monohouse has to leave this forums?

who is the developper that attacked a supermakert store with a pendrive?

and finally, the result of some the "uncysched" frames you missed....

all this comming next episode: "The evalngelist pays a visite" part II
hawkki

Post by hawkki »

Well try to get that sm3 working before putting spring in "maintenance mode" ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

sm3 is working...

Return to “Help & Bugs”