Spring:1944 dev and testing - Page 2

Spring:1944 dev and testing

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sorry I haven't been on to test for a while, guys, I've been a little busy. Anyway, it seems to be shaping up well.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

(only tested USA so far) Only if you queue up at least one construction order in the barracks (and possibly the depots, but I haven't tested that yet) does it actually build stuff. Otherwise, the door opens but nothing happens.

The 1/2 ton Truck and M5 Tractor can tow anything.

There's water in the Amtrac's bay, and whatever it carries shows up underneath it, i.e. in the terrain or under water.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

what is the point of the snipers? I had about 40 of them along the small divide hill, and they were wiped out by 3-4 m1 riflemen, and they did little/no damage at all to anything.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

trucks and tractor scripts have been fixed.

the freezing barracks issue is one we've been trying to solve for a long while. Its pretty rare though, in my experience. I've never seen the tank depot freeze though...

What's the point of snipers? o_O!

I'll check to make sure they're not fundamentally broken, but..uh..they one-hit-kill any infantry from very long range. Or should. Something could be weird with their new script, potentially.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

but I had so many, in a huge line on the small divide hill and they all got owned by a tiny bunch of guys who escaped without harm.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

A number of machineguns on German panzerjäger and sturmpanzers won't fire.

The Nebelwerfer towed rocket artillery won't fire.

Units with a "full-body turret" (i.e. where the entire unit is the turret) like panzerjäger and sturmpanzers, when moving in a different direction than the "turret" is facing (i.e. you FPS it and turn the turret 90 degrees without turning the actual facing) slide sideways until they face their direction.

Building a Panther gives the error "Unknown texture gendarkp00".

A number of machinegun turrets mounted on the top of tank turrets turn to face their target, but then stop turning as the main gun turns. It can still, however, fire, even though the barrel is pointing in a whole other direction.
Last edited by Strategia on 26 Dec 2006, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

snipers need support Ivory. Alone, they're pretty fucked. You have to bear in mind that infantry can cloak. Best to have a load of front-line infantry (rifles, SMGs) around to distract and uncloak enemy infantry, whilst your snipers pick them off (taking out hmgs and such) so that the front-line infantry can break through. Same thing with tanks and bunkers - keep them occupied whilst your AT infantry get into position...
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

However, FORTY of them should be enough to take out a small number of rilfemen without even thinking. Either something very odd happened (like they were all on hold fire for some reason) or they're very broken somehow. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

However, GMN is very right - building a huge force of snipers in general is a bad idea - they'll get chewed up in terms of firepower by a mixed force that took the same length of time to build (especially at close range).

Thank you Strategia, I'll see what I can do about those. I've been meaning to fix the turretless units by changing them into normal vehicles with small fixed arc weapons anyways, and this is a good excuse to do so. The tank MG turrets is another needed fix - they just require some updated scripting.

All the reports are much appreciated, I'll get these fixes to you probably sometime shortly after Jan 1st. Maybe.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Strategia wrote:(only tested USA so far) Only if you queue up at least one construction order in the barracks (and possibly the depots, but I haven't tested that yet) does it actually build stuff. Otherwise, the door opens but nothing happens.

The 1/2 ton Truck and M5 Tractor can tow anything.

There's water in the Amtrac's bay, and whatever it carries shows up underneath it, i.e. in the terrain or under water.
That script has been fixed - only it keeps getting unfixed. I'm pretty sure that the german barracks should never have this problem, as it uses the fixed script afaik.

Water in the amtrac is a engine issue and there is absolutly 0 that can be done about it, highly unlikely that it will ever be fixed in the engine.
Units with a "full-body turret" (i.e. where the entire unit is the turret) like panzerjäger and sturmpanzers, when moving in a different direction than the "turret" is facing (i.e. you FPS it and turn the turret 90 degrees without turning the actual facing) slide sideways until they face their direction.
They need updating to use Spring-style firing arcs.
A number of machinegun turrets mounted on the top of tank turrets turn to face their target, but then stop turning as the main gun turns. It can still, however, fire, even though the barrel is pointing in a whole other direction.
As Nemo pointed out this is a script issue - and a rather tricky one to get absolutely right. :(
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

The 6-Schartenturm has the radar icon of a machinegunner.

The Wehrmacht flag textures cross when the flag waves.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I find the German snipers to be irritatingly overdone. One sniper took out an entire battery of 3" fieldguns. The mines are a pita to locate and destroy to end a game, too. You should not have to chase down every last spammed mine to finish a game. AAI really churns them out across a map.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Gotta screen your guns with infantry - that is, station guys a little ways afield of the batteries to ensure that things don't sneak through and start picking off your guns unopposed. I'll check sniper damage vs guns though. However, keep in mind...guns can't see any further than normal infantry, so a sniper can outrange their sight and pick them off one by one. I mean..in theory, a single 81mm mortar could wreck an unlimited number of troops, assuming they sat and let themselves get shelled - likewise for snipers and units they outrange. However, snipers get beaten down quickly by things with higher rates of fire - two riflemen will beat one sniper, assuming its in sight range for them.

The mines...I don't really know how to solve that one. They have to be units, since features can't explode or anything handy like that, and giving units a way to detect them in a large radius (as would be needed at the end of a game) would make them a bit pointless. Its a difficult problem to solve - the only reason it doesn't show up in other mods is that few other mods use mines as widely as '44 can.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Perhaps all mines explode when the player has 0 storage left?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Not sure how to do that, or if its even possible. If it is, I'd really like to hear how.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'll see if it can be done script-side, but I doubt it.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Or have mines require 1 energy (or metal?) to cloak. That way, once either storage or production is at 0, you can see enemy mines.

However, that would also mean that if a player (or AI) spammed too many mines they would all become visible.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

which is good right? you dont want players spamming 10000 mines the whole game. it would make the game retarded. minefields requiring upkeep ensures you dont see too many of them expcet in flashpoints.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Upkeep for mines in a WW2 context makes absolutely no sense. What real-world consideration does it simulate? Nothing. Mines are a place-and-forget weapon, not one that requires maintenance. Even if everything else is dead, mines live on. (See: Afghanistan.)

MadRat, if your opponent requires you to locate every single one of his mines to end the game, even after you've killed everyone else, you're playing against a complete asshole and should probably remember never to play against him again.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Or an AI :P

The towed 300mm werfer seems to function just fine.

Fixing the turret MG aiming will require editing every single tank model, so I'm going to leave that for another day. All other fixes (besides panther texture, going to do that now) in this thread have been made.

To do list/changelog:
*update turretless guns to use limited fire arcs instead of how they are now. - done!
*change armor categories for bunkers - done!
*check panzershreck - done! (fixed script)
*implement artillery notification system (heavy artillery will pop up on the minimap for a few seconds after firing) - done!
*add guards to HQs - done!
*update build trees to reflect new unit lists/eliminate fluff - done!
*fix buildtimes
*change weapon AoEs to make sense - half done, need to decide on AP vs HE rounds, which units get them, ect.
Last edited by Nemo on 29 Dec 2006, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I always fail download the 8mb files... Always stopped @ 6%....
could U put one in file universe ? :x

Return to “Game Development”