Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

Thor
NOTA Developer

NOTA 1.82

Post by Thor »

Download NOTA
http://springfiles.com/spring/games/nota-28

NOTA wiki page: http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/NOTA

Not OTA is a TA themed mod designed for large maps. Some of the most notable differences from TA include: centralized bases, an increased focus on level 1, an increased focus on air combat and combined arms, and completely rebuilt naval combat on a larger and more realistic scale.

Mod by thor and cake, load screens by Quanto
Last edited by Thor on 29 Aug 2009, 22:24, edited 38 times in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Looks interesting, through the sea combat reminds me somewhat of the E3 Supreme Commander video.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

if units are weak and expenisve and base defences are super own and bases are centralised and anti air is ultra dosnt that mean the games will last liek for ever?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Only one way to find out - go play!
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Very interesting concepts. Very interesting.

One problem i noticed though, the gameplay is extremely slow. Units move extremely slow and have low range. I was expecting them to have larger range (which they need or more mobility).
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

This mod, I like. :) I love what you've done to the sea combat. And you ported over some of my favourite third party units for OTA ^_^

Something, though - the unit list mentions several units which haven't been implemented yet, such as the Longreach carriers, the Mandau Blade missile cruiser, the Skeeter and Searcher PT boats, the Arm Flying Wing, the Raptor IV mech (which isn't implemented yet but has a loadscreen dedicated to it!), land-based transport trucks and quite a bit more - what's the ETA to their implementation?
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

You'know this really sounds like something that'd look good with non TA units.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

I've already found a bug that needs to be fixed for the next version. If you're on a bumpy map the level 2 nano tower won't let you build the core moho constructor anywhere. There's no slope tolerence set for it so you have to build it on flat ground. For the time being you can get around this by starting construction of a factory or something to flatten the terrain out and then building it, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

PauloMorfeo: You're right about the gameplay being kindof slow. Me and Thor developed the mod and neither of us really has a super agressive playing style. I'm kindof curious to see what a game would be like between some of the better AA players on a wide open map like comet catcher.

Still though, porching in your base with a bunch of metal makers doesn't pay off. Metal makers give you way less than in AA, and there's no advanced fusion either.
Day

Post by Day »

well ive been playing it a bit with some of my friends.. and i was surprised at how fast turrets slaughter huge armies.. AA style massing just doesnt cut it
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Here's a quick single player mission Smartie and I made for NOTA:
http://rapidshare.com/files/8085247/lak ... e.lua.html
It's nothing too complicated, just a simple test mission where you start with a small kbot army and have to take out a Core artillery gun. It requires the map Mountain Lake.

Strategia, the Raptor IV and flying wing are both already in the game, but the other ones you mentioned were all things we tried in game but for whatever reason ended up taking them out. Some of them like the transport trucks we just couldn't get working very well, while others like the m-blade worked but didn't really fit in.
DemO

Post by DemO »

Extremely interesting concept, definately gonna give this a shot and see how it plays. This mod has a lot of potential, i hope you stick at it, and do you have plans for the future to update/further develop this mod?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

This mod has made the pie chart on mods played through the lobby. Proof enough that it has what it takes.

Are there any changes planned for the future, or are you waiting for critical feedback?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

ARM's air plant has a stupidly large hitsphere for some reason
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

i have played a couple of games and all i can say is WOW!!

The new naval setup is great but a carrier (even something on the scale of the carrier in BF2 (can't remember the class..)) is kinda necessary since u have introduced fuel ( :o ).
also some minor bugs i found:
- to second GMN's report the airplant as well as the lone repair pads have massive hit spheres making refuel ops happen way up in the air :P
- the Arm Monstro Uberunit seems a little lacking with only 2 plasma cannons compared to the tri-weaponed death machine that is the Krog. if possible giving some massive doom beam a la the Core CC that originates in that giant red eye might be cool...
- the arm spy bot doesn't have stealth and as such is useless for spy work

Again love the mod the ships in partiuclar are amazing. multiweaponed death machines with great animtions (not sure if i should thank u or the model makers or both ir u are the model maker :) )all in all keep up the good work i won't to see this mod expanded more if possible.

EDIT: what are ur lobby names and online times because, if possible, i would like to chat with u guys about the mod and try and setup a wiki since this is sooo different from any TA mod even. Again huzzah for this mod keep it going!!!
tombom

Post by tombom »

j5mello wrote: EDIT: what are ur lobby names and online times because, if possible, i would like to chat with u guys about the mod and try and setup a wiki since this is sooo different from any TA mod even. Again huzzah for this mod keep it going!!!
Thor wrote:Mod by thor and cake, load screens by Quanto
<lobby names

This is a pretty interesting mod, I still have no idea how to play it though.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

Both thor and I have been busy with Christmas so neither of us has really been online at all for the past week. When we do play it's usually sometime in the evening pacific time.

There's actually a reason the landing pads have huge collision spheres. The landing code for planes has always been a bit quirky. If a plane flies too high over the air pad when it's trying to land it'll pass overhead, then turn around and try again. The strategic bombers fly at a height of 500 and the limit is somewhere around 300-330. We tried a number of things but finally settled on setting the actual landing point to be above the landing pad which looks stupid, but lets all the planes behave as intended. The collision sphere is a side effect of this and happens because spring is thinking the model is bigger than it actually is because of that landing point above the model.

We were planning on having huge carriers originally. They were going to be bigger than battleships and able to land 10 planes at once. I could never get it working for more than 2 planes at the same time so we just ended up scrapping the idea. If anyone knows how to do this I'd appreciate it. As far as I know this is also a problem with the 4 pad airpad in AA so no help there.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Cant you attatch the landing point to something near the building so its got a small collision sphere then make the buildings script raise the point to the intended position once its built? That would give the same results but without the huge collision sphere.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

well thx for the hitsphere explanation Smartie though AF's idea, if it works, sounds like a good fix. the only other idea that comes to mind would be to s3o the models and thus allowing you to control the hit sphere but... anyway... evening in PST eh, hmm... that means its somewhere around 1 am for me over on the east coast... i have a lot of questions mainly about specific units but i don't wanna flood this thread with em atm... need to condense em into something... else :o

oh could you tweak teh hover transports so they can carry more units. atm i could only fit 4 lvl 1 kbots in them and that ain't much of a landing party :P
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

So why are hovers even in the mod? It doesn't appear that they serve a worthwhile purpose. Other than that, pretty neat.
Peet
Malcontent

Re: NOTA 1.0

Post by Peet »

Thor wrote:
MY SHIPS R BIGGUR THAN URS!!1

Return to “NOTA”