Terragen rendering colormap - Page 2

Terragen rendering colormap

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Someone never used DOS as a child...

Use the "cd" command to go to the folder where mapconv is located. For example, if you have it in C:\Games\Spring\maptools\, type:

cd c:\games\spring\maptools\

Then do whatever you do for compiling maps. If there are spaces in any of the folder names in the path, such as C:\Program Files\Spring\maptools\, you have two methods of going about this:

cd "c:\program files\spring\maptools\"

or

cd c:\progra~1\spring\maptools\

Alternatively, go pick up a 486 for $10 at some flea market and install DOS 6.22 :P
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Can I just clear something up for those of us,, me included who were or still are confused as to the image rotation/flipping thing :?
As long as you use -i you don`t have to flip rotate or mirror anything..
just work with the map images height, metal and terrain in the same orientation as your terrain,, example below.
FYI I use .bmp`s
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Okay i'm getting there. Now it says cannot find nvdxt.exe or something like that. The terrain works but has this funny stripey texture, and no sm2 file is produced. The minimap looks fine, though, and apart from the texture the map runs fine in Spring.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Mufdvr, come on, that metal map isn't right and you know it! All the Cavedog lava maps produced 0.2 metal everywhere on the map, normal amounts on the actual metal extractors. It's a detail that can't be overlooked!
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

OK doom lets check a few things.

1. Post a copy of the .bat you last described.

2. Mapconv came packed with several files:
geoevent.bmp
nvdxt.exe
texconv.exe
and of course mapconv.exe
Did you unzip all of these files and are they all in the same directory?

3. Are all or your map textures in the same directory, are the aforementioned mapconv files in the same directory as your textures, and is the .bat also in this directory?
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Gnome wrote:Mufdvr, come on, that metal map isn't right and you know it! All the Cavedog lava maps produced 0.2 metal everywhere on the map, normal amounts on the actual metal extractors. It's a detail that can't be overlooked!
Are you kidding me?? you would actually build ten mexxas on the ground to get a total of 2.0 for ya effort. :roll:
Tell ya what, I am probably going to update the map soon so I will reduce the global metal in the .smd as well, the reason for the update is a problem with the heightmap I missed.

EDIT: Humble pie time for Muff,, :oops: Gnome you are quite correct, Lava and two hills has a surface metal of 20, or 0.2 at the mexx.
I will fix this as I want this map ported propperly, Whilst the ported classics should be as close to the ota as possible, I think unless you have ported a TA map you have no idea just how much work is involved, take it easy,, no nead to pound on people who are making a real effort to do these maps justice, If I had realised this error earlier I would have never uploaded it intil it was right..
Last edited by mufdvr222 on 26 May 2005, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

SavageBT, where do I get all those files? I only got mapconv v0.6 and it comes with some splats and only one exe, no nvdxt.exe or texconv.exe!
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

i thought the -l was supposed to turn the colormap around or something? Because its off.

@mapconv --help
@pause
@echo:
@echo:
cd C:\Program Files\TASpring\my maps
mapconv -l -c 0.5 -x 256 -n -50 -o Map1Yay.sm2 -m MMap1.bmp -a HMap1.bmp -t CMap1.bmp
@pause:
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

i thought the -l was supposed to turn the colormap around or something? Because its off.

@mapconv --help
@pause
@echo:
@echo:
cd C:\Program Files\TASpring\my maps
mapconv -l -c 0.5 -x 256 -n -50 -o Map1Yay.sm2 -m MMap1.bmp -a HMap1.bmp -t CMap1.bmp
@pause:
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

-l is not -i

-l, or -L, or --lowpass, is to smooth the heights

-i or -I, or --invert, is to un-inverts the height map vertically (not the height values but the height map (uhm someone rewrite this))
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

so where do I put in the command -i?
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Thanks, I got it working.

Return to “Map Creation”