unit textures format

unit textures format

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Veleran

unit textures format

Post by Veleran »

I have not played spring yet bacause i have a slow connection.
I saw the srcreenshots,and wanted to ask about the textures of the units.

Are those unit textures the original TA textures of sizes 32-32,and 64-64?

Many of those textures have intense shading on them to simmulate curves, and to cover the sharp egdes of the low poly units.

So at a close distance,these textures look a little burned.

If you could gather about ten modelers,you could remake the units with curves-according their textured look.

Im not sure,but if you use high res textures in .dds format,you have an option to have mipmaps(lower res versions of the texure)

so,i assume when a unit looks small from afar,the appropriate low-res versions of the bitmaps could be rendered by the engine.

And,i dont want to say anything about your engine,but-have you ever thought of making a TA mod for farcry?

Farcry creates sprites for plant and trees to display at a further distance,and you can set how far off they will stop get rendered to save memory.

By default a larger tree gets rendered untill a longer distance than a small bush.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Many people have already worked on redoing the TA models. From Benito texture cleaner to Sathanas project, lots of material has been produced. Why all the better looking models (That have already been made!!) have been discarded and forgotten is what you should look into.
Veleran

Post by Veleran »

The units look beter in screen63.
If the terrain had some hills that cast shadows,it would be propably even beter.

Maybe it needs a few winding mountain paths,rocks and other map features like vegetation.

I like the trees,but they are all too small and perhaps not too many.
How tall is the commander in meters?-There are many tall trees that should be much taller than him.

And,is the terrain generation limited in color variation,-or you can also have mixed style maps?
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Features are being worked on
The commander is about the height of the trees. The krogggy, on the other hand, towers miles above it.
See the maps forum for some screenies of multi texture maps.
And shadows require an uber graphics card.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

BlackLiger wrote:And shadows require an uber graphics card.
Not really. I have a USD$70 Radeon 9600SE, and it plays just fine with shadows, reflections, and lots of units running around (though the game does lag kind of hard when issuing commands to very very large groups of units, I assume that's more of a CPU/RAM thing).
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

and I have a £45 Radeon 9550, and all the flashy bits and bobs work fine on that, too. :-)
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Da, the lag is CPU processing the pathfinding

And by uber i mean better than my gforce 2 :P

Return to “General Discussion”