XTA Development discussion - Page 18

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Keep it coming, Ivory King ! Image
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Bahahhaah...I hope that's on the spring comic page.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

To be honest, i too would like to have explained the present state of leadership in the development of XTA.

I searched for the announcement of new leadership of the development of XTA and it was Myg. Later, confusingly for some time, acording to what we see in the forums, Gizmo seemed to be the one in charge. Also, there are many people who seem to be contributing.

Since it, most certainly, is not working with the model «everyone is working on XTA, if anyone decides to add anything to XTA it can just add to it», it would be helpfull to know who keeps track and is deciding what, how and when gets added/modified in XTA.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Myg is technically in charge, gizmo is doing most of the work, I'm sitting around looking cool, and various people are doing various little things (like Noruas and the effects, Napkin is pointing out numerous typos and scripting bugs)
Last edited by Peet on 30 Nov 2006, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Why are defensive structures so powerful? An HLT killed my cloaked sniper in 2 hits and the sniper didnt even get a shot off.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Use fleas to spot for snipers at a safe distance, or radar towers, two hits cannot take down a sniper, also, Merry Christmas, i updated my avatar for the season.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Aren't you 3 weeks to early for that? :-)
Those dogs rock. Why don't you make the animation longer now that we got 10 kb space?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

@ Sheekel Posted:
Why are defensive structures so powerful? An HLT killed my cloaked sniper in 2 hits and the sniper didnt even get a shot off.

XTA unlike most other mods is heavily influenced on units having certain strengths and weaknesses. Where if used correctly cause massive damdge, used wrongly cause you a loss metal and time.Unlike others where they all seem to do the same sort of thing, only difference if they have more/less health and look 'cooler' the more money u spend on it.

The sniper is a very powerful unit "IF YOU PLAN AHEAD! AND USE IT CORRECTLY" To use a sniper correctly in XTA v8.1 you will have to scout ahead for line of sight. When u got a clear shot, FIRE and whatch it blow ur enemy to bits from a comfortable distance. It is a VERY powerful unit, but it has low health, moves slowly and has a long reload time. The HLT would blow ur sniper to bits if the sniper was in range. Thats the HLT's job, anti spam killer + any sucker thats alone that to got to close lol. If you used the sniper correctly you would not even been shot at!

Simply throwing units at your enemy isn't always the best solution, in XTA there is a certain way the player can utalise each unit to its best ability.

Its like as in real life, a soldier can take out a tank with an RPG_MK7 with one hit. But if the solder was caught out in the open the tank would blow the poor soldier to bits. There is simple logic, lateral thinking, skill and method applied to every good game fought in XTA. Its not some silly ARCADEic game where you just spam the same unit over and over till they all die. (bar v7 lol; CRASHERS **cough**)

Manny AA player moan about xta's hlt's. Yes they are strong, but they cost allot of metal and energy to run. If you thought about it logically you would try using bombers, snipers (correctly), spiders, arty, heavy unit upfrunt + a good amount of cheap peewee's.

In XTA tactics WIN, not building loads of HLT/GATT

The other think that i hear AA player talking about is our flak towers attacking ground units.

Should the next version of XTA have Flak towers that DONT attack ground units ???
Personally i think this would make XTA more like rock/paper/scissors = AA ( i think its a bad idea, BUT it would help us get more AA converts :?: )
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

No, please don't prevent flakkers from attacking ground units. That's one of the best things about XTA. It adds to the realism and also to the gameplay, by making flakkers less of a risk to build. But you know that your opponent is going to be using ground, then it would be better economically to build hlts or something.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Do not remove the flaks abillity against ground units, because the closer it gets to AA, the less reason there would be not to play it.

Aren't you 3 weeks to early for that? Smile
Those dogs rock. Why don't you make the animation longer now that we got 10 kb space?
Meh, A big cold front just went into Texas, making it very cold, so i couldn't go outside because i do not have clothes for snow, so i made a Christmas avatar instead. :-)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

flak attacking ground is okay, never liked the towers attacking ground as it enourages porcing, ie the own up units as well as the other d-fens but the unit attacking ground is fine. its not exactly that powerful to risk of MONSTER KILL.

whats happening to the fido?
whats happening to the flea?
the stumpy/raiders 10 range boost didnt do anything at all they still suck. test them with range 400. with their laughable dps I dont see it unbalancing them, they still lose 1v1 to fast tanks, or 100 v 100 against flash tanks.
everything else is ffiiiiiinneee.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Ah good, i thought you would agree with me that they should continue to attack ground. It is one of the bigest issues AA players have, but then again it also gives XTA more realisum. Yes you r right, we have is right as it currantly is 8)

Ow and Noruas, im realy bussey this weekend, would you mind sorting out the next release for me?

OW and if you cant get the Nuke working right, anny chance you could use the particle effects Argh used on his first nuke effect he made, and use em for the geo's, all futions & energy storadge. Having a lil Ka-ZaMe would be cool i think. Pm me when you get anny ideas,
Giz

Ill contact Argh about it just to be polite, and Agorm, when Noruas or I send you a pic, would you do us a new NUKE load screen plz, tnx dude 8)

(might need thicker shades!)
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

he stumpy/raiders 10 range boost didnt do anything at all they still suck. test them with range 400. with their laughable dps I dont see it unbalancing them, they still lose 1v1 to fast tanks, or 100 v 100 against flash tanks.
everything else is ffiiiiiinneee.
I find these stumpies raiders more effective firing over wreckage and hitting targets, they aren't easy dgun targets. I suggested a 10 range boost so it still could fire further then the Hammer and Thud. The tanks would win against the fast tanks if they were on the move. I know that the stumpy raiders seem to be at a major disadvantage right now, but we will work on it. Although in my opinion i am not sure what they were suppose to fulfill. Before xta v6, stumpies and raiders used to move faster then the flash and instigators.

Gizmo, give me a list of things to do! :)
Last edited by Noruas on 30 Nov 2006, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Yes the flak towers should definitely still target ground...but they should probably give higher priority to air units (if it is not already so, and..possible)
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

How about giving a Goliath a real self destruct, like an Energy Storage SelfD, right now its just puny.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

what happened about my arm mobile fusion change diea?
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:@ Sheekel Posted:

XTA unlike most other mods is heavily influenced on units having certain strengths and weaknesses. Where if used correctly cause massive damdge, used wrongly cause you a loss metal and time.Unlike others where they all seem to do the same sort of thing, only difference if they have more/less health and look 'cooler' the more money u spend on it.

The sniper is a very powerful unit "IF YOU PLAN AHEAD! AND USE IT CORRECTLY" To use a sniper correctly in XTA v8.1 you will have to scout ahead for line of sight. When u got a clear shot, FIRE and whatch it blow ur enemy to bits from a comfortable distance. It is a VERY powerful unit, but it has low health, moves slowly and has a long reload time. The HLT would blow ur sniper to bits if the sniper was in range. Thats the HLT's job, anti spam killer + any sucker thats alone that to got to close lol. If you used the sniper correctly you would not even been shot at!

Simply throwing units at your enemy isn't always the best solution, in XTA there is a certain way the player can utalise each unit to its best ability.

Its like as in real life, a soldier can take out a tank with an RPG_MK7 with one hit. But if the solder was caught out in the open the tank would blow the poor soldier to bits. There is simple logic, lateral thinking, skill and method applied to every good game fought in XTA. Its not some silly ARCADEic game where you just spam the same unit over and over till they all die. (bar v7 lol; CRASHERS **cough**)

Manny AA player moan about xta's hlt's. Yes they are strong, but they cost allot of metal and energy to run. If you thought about it logically you would try using bombers, snipers (correctly), spiders, arty, heavy unit upfrunt + a good amount of cheap peewee's.

In XTA tactics WIN, not building loads of HLT/GATT

The other think that i hear AA player talking about is our flak towers attacking ground units.

Should the next version of XTA have Flak towers that DONT attack ground units ???
Personally i think this would make XTA more like rock/paper/scissors = AA ( i think its a bad idea, BUT it would help us get more AA converts :?: )
I had a scout out in front + the sniper was on the left mountain of Small divide, shouldnt that increased los?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Ov cource a scout would increase line of sight, perhaps if u posted a replay i culd help explain.

I played a game on the same map the other day. The sniper finds difficulties on firing on stuch a high slope. i found it eayer to press `C` and take over the sniper n blast a Hlt to bits that way. Sutch a probelm would most probably be put towrads the engone not he mod, but i will look into this when i have a chance. Plz post a reply for me.
tnx,
Gizmo
pintle

Post by pintle »

snipers, or in fact any BLOD equipped unit, are one of the fastest and most cost effective ways of taking out HLTs in my experience. Aside from com killing, and maybe en masse countering super-heavy units, i mostly use them precisely for taking out hlts and other defences.

Still not convinced about nerfed dmg vs com though...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

nerf damage VS com sucks ass.
its SUPPOSED to be an assassin.

Return to “Game Development”