NEW MAP - Volcano Island

NEW MAP - Volcano Island

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

NEW MAP - Volcano Island

Post by aGorm »

Hi. I've just finshed my first map! (*coffs* looks at discard pile of 7 maps....). Well first decent map anyway. Its for four players, quite roomy, nice teregen rendered txtture and heightmap.

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?page=showitem&ID=793

Some screenies:
Umm, nice islands...

Umm, nice islands with battle...

and heres the mini map...

Tell Me What You Think!

aGorm
Last edited by aGorm on 19 May 2005, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

I can certainly try to upload it to FU aGorm... my MSN is chillaaa@hotmail.com
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I take it he can't upload it to FU himself because it is greater than 10 MB.

See PM, agorm.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

From the minimap, it looks very nice and polished. Good job!
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Thanks Guys, Its up for all to see. Hope It meats requirments, and remember, constructive critasium, so the next map can be better still!

aGorm
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hay!!! Can I have someones opinion?? Please?? Some people like to be told how crap there stuff is...
:-)
Otherwise how will I make better maps if you people dont feedback?

aGorm

Bump, Bump, Bump, Bump....
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

OK I offer what I can. Haven't been able to play test but the bases seem even with a nice place to build (too small for a long game?). Trees look good without blocking too much, and the crater looks good too.

As for something constructive...

I noticed these ripples in the ground.. couldn't make out what they were for and they gave it an odd look, espacially the jagged waterline they cause:
Did you use the lowpass filter in mapconv?

I also saw some blockiness in the texture. It appears in the water too, but not on most maps so i figure while it's not your texture it's something to do with the map - i.e. use a lower (better) compression value with mapconv, 0.5 seems ok.
Did anyone else notice this or do i need to take my videocard back to warranty again...

As I mentioned it looks very even and fair... Very symmetrical. I realize the islands are slightly different but overall it looks like a square piece of dough attacked by a round cookie-cutter. Don't know if you were going for this or not but too much symmetry on a 'natural' map looks odd. This wouldn't be a problem on core prime but here you have a strange looking volcanic crater. I must stress that this is not a major issue but worth mentioning; you were looking for comments.

Lasty, have you thought about fading in a detail texture very lightly where the metal is? It doesn't really need this for gameplay but might look cool if subtle.

I think people didn't post because there are no glaring problems or major stupidities to but stomped on.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hi thanks for the feed back!

I'll just explane the resoning on the square ness... basicly it was round but i found there was nowhere to build a decent base... so they kind expanded to the courners over time...

And the squarey txtures I think are because its com,pressed at about 2...
I would have done it at somthing like .5 but it came out at about 40meg... damit...

Terain bumpynes... nuts I'll iron that out in future maps...

Thanks very much for comments!!

next map will be 10x as good.... and hopefully twice the size...
aGorm
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

Didn't hurt a bit.

Well gameplay is all important of course, and I know what you mean about the 40mb+ maps. If you haven't read all the thread on it I'm told tiles of 32 or multiple square are good.

Keep em coming.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

nice map
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Cool I'll get started on the nextone then...

Darren

Return to “Map Releases”