Cannot build more of unit type?

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Maybe this is mod-specific, but I think it probably isn't.

Since 0.74 came out I've seen a couple games where global message goes out saying "cannot build more units of unit type" or something like that. After looking around the map I didn't see anyone at the unit limit (I was in spec mode) and there was no units banned in the battle room. What could this be about?
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Mods can now specify per-unit type limits
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I have seen this too, when I was spectating an XTA v8.1 game on Small Divide. I believe XTA has no per-unit type limits (haven't read on how to specify them). I asked the guy hosting, whether he specified anything or played with limits. He told me he had no clue.

I don't exactly remember, but the message was something like this:
"Adv. Kbot Lab: Unit limit reached"

Btw, does that mean the maximum number of Adv. Kbot Labs has been reached or that the Adv. Kbot Lab cannot build the queued unit?
tombom

Post by tombom »

Yeah it's nothing to do with defined unit limits as I saw it/heard about it at least 4 times yesterday. Once was when I hit the limit on wolves in Nanoblobs, which was fine, but in the same game I saw it on Sheep, which have no limit, and the other person was reporting a similar thing, even when we hadn't hit the unit limit. I also saw it on a Balanced Annihilation game, where one commander someone had inherited from there ally refused to build mexes, complaining of "Commander: unit build type limit reached" while his other commander was building fine.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Doh! So UnitLimit has even more bugs than I saw during testing. Sorry, folks- I never saw this while running Spring single-player...
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Does this only occur when sharing units? It looks like the
sharing code doesn't update the unitsType[team] counts.
If that's the case, then it can be easily remedied (ie: the
patch is already written)

P.S. This probably applies to captured units as well.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

I can't say for sure, but sharing happens pretty often when people .take so it's likely.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Now that you mention it: there was a .take-over, right before those messages started showing up.

Here is a demo of it: http://ipxserver.dyndns.org/games/sprin ... 0.74b1.sdf

First message "Kbot Lab: Build failed, unit type limit reached" shows up around 17:30.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sometimes it happens at the most bizzare moments - on locally hosted games I have seen it without any .take or .give.
Icebird

Post by Icebird »

by the way the bug is easily reproductible with the 'luamissiontest' :

- go to the waypoint
- build an aircraft plant when you've received the com
- destroy your atlas
- try to build an atlas

haven't tested with latest svn ..
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

I'll test / commit tomorrow (been otherwise occupied).
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i've seen it almost every game i've hosted, but it's always seemingly without rhyme or reason, so i can't pinpoint why it happens, sorry :|
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think the message is sometimes caused when the construction is destroyed. No idea what exactly triggers it.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

KDR_11k:
thanks, think I may have found that bug too
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

KDR_11k:
If you have a recording that you think contains a unit-limit bug
caused by a construction being destroyed, could you post it?
tombom

Post by tombom »

neddiedrow wrote:Sometimes it happens at the most bizzare moments - on locally hosted games I have seen it without any .take or .give.
Would this be on Nanoblobs by any chance? Because I've seen the same. I was pretty sure I wasn't hitting the unit limit, except for one time that I hit the limit on wolves (200)
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

can you guys fix this yet? it's very annoying

i'll provide a demo if one is still necessary, just got one in my last game. the game also ends in a crash of spring.exe so it might be doubly interesting.

Return to “Help & Bugs”