Unknown Files is shutting down......

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

iamacup

Post by iamacup »

i hate you all, especialy LordMatt, Evil dictator moderator, and that NOiZE isnt much better, i shall be taking all meee coolness elsewhere!

Not RELI!!!! just said that to make you read this!

The Real Stuff!

As some of you may know, im working on a new version of unknown files (not much user end change but lots of tweaks and cool st00f, and general database tidy up etc. full change log later. ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ note, special attention is being paid to the admin/user admin side and the sites (supcom, sf, spring, etc) are being separated)

= LOTS MORE USABILITY + optional new files newsletter (cool st00f indeed)

So now is the time to tell me what you would like to see added to or changed on the site.

The visual theme is not up for debate, make me one and i will use it, complain about the current one and.... ill do nothing about it. That├óÔé¼Ôäós for web designers :P

Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

(no more than 10 features / changes per user, thanks) lol
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

enforcing minimaps on maps. The technology can detect if an uplaod is a map or not, so make use of it...
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

how can i enforce minimaps, i can force at least 1 picture but not really force minimaps by script.

it would deffinately require admin checking.....?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A simple fix would be

if file ends in .sdz hpi or sd7 force screenshots.

All maps mods and variants should have screenshots and pics anyway.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

thats not forcing minimaps, and 98 percent of new maps do have pictures, but i cant FORCE people to upload minimaps......

and who wants to upload the pictures for all the maps without :P

i dont envy them.

unless someone writes a script in c/c++ that extracts the minimap from an sd7 file. then i can use that to force minimaps!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sangoku... the map that broke my client.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The point is its forcing the mapper to put up the screenshot as they should when they upload to begin with otherwise they dont get their file hosted.

And yes you CAN and a lot of people would agree with me in saying you SHOULD.

Screenshots and minimaps are what sell a map, and most people only download a map with no minimap or shots through word of mouth usually because they know the mapper personally.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I download all the maps I find. It has negative consequences.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

OK!

1 ) Forced screenshots

Now back ontopic please :P
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

The site design right now is a piece of garbage. Sorry.

The text colors are wrong, the links and screenshots are misaligned, etc.
Treeform

url quarry

Post by Treeform »

have the vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/green desiplay the result for all maps with *green* but if it return only one map then just give us the .sdz file as in vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/speedmetal
this way it would be easer on the clinet to just go " "vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/$mapname" and it would just pop up but if there is a question to what map name that is list of common map names so that user can manualy pick em up.

i just dont see this being easy now:
vvvvvvv.unknown-files.net/index.php?page=search&MainCategory=all&orderby=f_name
&orderof=ASC&searchdata=$mapname&Search=Search
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Hmm I looked at the site and had no ideas. However, I don't ever upload things to UF, I use my own webspace. :-) And I think the design is fine. Now, regarding the other things we discussed... :P
Peet
Malcontent

Re: Unknown Files is shutting down......

Post by Peet »

iamacup wrote:i hate you all, especialy LordMatt, Evil dictator moderator, and that NOiZE isnt much better, i shall be taking all meee coolness elsewhere!
Was I the only one who crapped himself reading that?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I poked Cup into doing some work 8) (not really).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How about a small Prog, that outoopens the Sd7 File on the UploadersPC- Converts&Renames the Mini.bmp into Jpg and uploads that first... ?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

I already have a (python + unitsync) script here that can basically mass-extract minimaps from maps. Could help integrating it if needed/wanted. It's pretty trivial using the unitsync python bindings.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

1) Alternative quick search system.
Instead of using <blah>.unknown-files.net something like unknown-files.net/?s=term+term+term
Why? Well I don't like to type the whole url out every time and I have to do that using subdomains.

2) Shorter domain, though this involves money. I kinda forget the the second n in unknown every other time ending up on unkown-files.net. :(
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

Tobi wrote:I already have a (python + unitsync) script here that can basically mass-extract minimaps from maps. Could help integrating it if needed/wanted. It's pretty trivial using the unitsync python bindings.
ill be getting to you about this
rattle wrote:1) Alternative quick search system.
Instead of using <blah>.unknown-files.net something like unknown-files.net/?s=term+term+term
Why? Well I don't like to type the whole url out every time and I have to do that using subdomains.

2) Shorter domain, though this involves money. I kinda forget the the second n in unknown every other time ending up on unkown-files.net. :(
1) ok

2) no, you donate me the money :P (paypal is iamacup2@dsl.pipex.com :P) or learn bookmarks :P
Treeform wrote:have the vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/green desiplay the result for all maps with *green* but if it return only one map then just give us the .sdz file as in vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/speedmetal
this way it would be easer on the clinet to just go " "vvvvvv.unknown-files.net/ta/maps/$mapname" and it would just pop up but if there is a question to what map name that is list of common map names so that user can manualy pick em up.

i just dont see this being easy now:
vvvvvvv.unknown-files.net/index.php?page=search&MainCategory=all&orderby=f_name
&orderof=ASC&searchdata=$mapname&Search=Search
is this for client download integration?
Sheekel

Re: Unknown Files is shutting down......

Post by Sheekel »

P3374H wrote:
iamacup wrote:i hate you all, especialy LordMatt, Evil dictator moderator, and that NOiZE isnt much better, i shall be taking all meee coolness elsewhere!
Was I the only one who crapped himself reading that?

No, I was really worried for a second.

I thought this was another "I'm leaving spring" threads, after which the person usually doesnt leave anyway.

IaMaCuP, you are great.

Return to “General Discussion”