New Map: Africa Coast

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

Hi all, I've been working on this map on and off for a short while. I think its reached a good enough state to release. Here are some screenshots (I appologise for my crap gfx card, if someone could test this map and provide me with a good set of dx9 level screenshots it would be appreciated!)

Image Image Image Image Image

The texture is part hand painted, part sourced from a 1km per pixel resolution texturemap of the earth I have sitting around (specifically from africa hence the name of the map)

The centre islands have the highest metal concentration but I've placed them in range of intimidators/big berthers (OTA ranges) from both sides of the map so it should make for a good battle. The map is 8192x2048 (16x4 TA screens). I've included positions for 4 players (evens vs odds) but I suspect the map will only really work as a 1 vs 1.

You can download it here:

http://cnlpepper.homedns.org/cnlpepper/ ... aCoast.zip (3.21 MB)

I'd be very happy if someone could mirror it as the webserver is running off my crappy ADSL connection...!

I'll be very interested in your comments. Enjoy.

CnlPepper - Releasing his first TA Spring map...
Storm

Post by Storm »

[ Hosted ] on FileUniverse. Now go upload minimap and pictures.
Last edited by Storm on 19 May 2005, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

One step ahead of you, Storm. You're still a bastard ;)
Storm

Post by Storm »

You stole my upload!

The link is still valid tho...
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

Thanks for mirroring it and taking the screen shots guys :)

Just wondering if anyone has tried a game on it yet? Let me know if anything needs tweaking and I'll sort it out.

CnlPepper - Happy...!
mongus

Post by mongus »

has crashed the 3 times iv tried to play it.
at about 10 mins of play.
the wind generators dont turn sometimes...
the map looks nice.
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

I think its a bug in the 0.41b release of spring related to non square maps. When I make the map square it doesn't crash. I've not found a solution.

Hopefully it should work properly with the next spring release. Anyone else had this problem?

CnlPepper - Seeking help....
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Glad to see someone else has the problem of rectangular maps crashing spring, I ported Coast to Coast but spring won`t load it without crashing,, I re scaled it to a square map and it worked but looks bloody horrible. :|
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Are the dimension of the texture map multiples of 1024? Because they must.....
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

The texture map is 8192x2048 (8*1024 by 2 *1024) the metal map is the same. The height map is 1025 x 257 (8*128+1 by 2*128+1). Exactly the dimensions as required by mapconv.

Still crashes, no explanation thus far.

CnlPepper - bothered....!
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

Anyone else having problems with non-square maps crashing other than me and mufdvr222?

CnlPepper - Should probably start a new topic...
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Nice map. It would look even better if it had some trees.

LordMatt.
munch

Post by munch »

CnlPepper wrote:Anyone else having problems with non-square maps crashing other than me and mufdvr222?

CnlPepper - Should probably start a new topic...
Hi There, I've played successfully on Asia Pacific (not quite square) - albiet a short game. Also on the Mars map (not square at all), again, a short game. However, Africa Coast crashes on me almost straight away - I don't even get to build my first building usually before it goes belly up. In fact most times I don't even get to see my commander before it crashes!

This is running 0.50 b2, using the random enemies script - not playing over the network.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the plus side you've just produced an excellent piece of test data - it breaks the code, which is just what you want when you're trying to debug - some test data that shows up the problem =)

I'll maybe post this on the bugs forum.

Munch
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I just tried this, and it doesn't crash for me.

LordMatt.
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

Due to getting a load of requests from people I've decided to release the source files for my map (mainly to help those new to spring mapping). You can download them here:

http://cnlpepper.homedns.org/cnlpepper/ ... efiles.zip

The download is ~29Mb. Use a download manager which can resume to download as my ADSL connection on which this is hosted frequently disconnects.

CnlPepper - Busy on next map....
CnlPepper

Post by CnlPepper »

Regarding the crashing of this map, I've found it now only seems to crash when I use an AI script. I wonder if its the AI unit spawning having trouble with the water....?

LordMatt out of interest how well did the map play online (I saw your comment in the bugs thread)? Any suggestions for modifications other than adding trees?

CnlPepper - Better get on with work!
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

CnlPepper:

I can't even get it to crash with the random AIs script (I only have the standard SY version, not one of the ones made by someone else). I do have a very fast computer, if that makes any difference.

Given that my favorite map in OTA was Beta Tropics (Coasts), I like coast to coast maps. When I play your map (XTA), I go veh for cons and anti air, and then reclaim the lab and get into the sea by the 5min mark. Then I take the middle isles with skeets and my com, and build mex and hovers there. Once I have the middle isles securely, the end is a forgone conclusion. I haven't lost on your map yet.

Because there is only one set of middle isles, it becomes a race to claim them, who ever has them will win if they're any good at all. Something to think about would be making two sets of isles, but that's hardly necessary. Trees would make the map look a little more natural, though please don't put them on the metal or too many on the higher terrain (I like to build a bunch of winds up there in the flat space :D). If you put trees on the low lands and on the sloaps that would look great. Also, it would be nice if each side got a Geo vent, and if the metal rich areas were all slightly darker/greyer like they are in some parts

LordMatt.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

...Beta Tropics was a third party map, not OTA. The OTA one was "Coast to Coast".
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Gnome wrote:...Beta Tropics was a third party map, not OTA. The OTA one was "Coast to Coast".
But I played it with "OTA" rather than spring. I liked Coast to Coast too. :-)

LordMatt.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Ahh, that definition of OTA... ;)

Return to “Map Releases”