Spring with Kill/Loss window

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Veylon
AI Developer

Post by Veylon »

Yeah! I finally got the rts source to compile. No sound or LUA, but it has a kill/loss window, and the tooltip shows how far you are towards finishing up capturing, reclaiming, or resurrecting.

Download it here:http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3743.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Screenshot:
Last edited by Veylon on 01 Sep 2006, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

YES!!! YEEEEEESSS!!!

I miss the Kill window soo much from OTA...does it have the same "bug" though?

In ota, after you get up to ~32000 kills (i cant remember exact number), it starts to go backwards down to 0. Once it gets to zero, it goes down to -32000...and then back up. Endless cycle from 0 to 32000 to -32000 to 0.

Anyway, my friend and I went through that cycle 7-8 times. Several hundred thousand kills :twisted:
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Screenshots or death.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'll have the cake please.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ick. I always hated the whole "kill/loss" thing. A Krogoth != a peewee. I want the kills/losses weighted by unit value.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

you mean damage dealt?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Naah, cost destroyed.
Erom

Post by Erom »

KDR_11k wrote:Naah, cost destroyed.
+1

Cost Destroyed / Cost Lost ratio ftw
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Das Bruce wrote:Screenshots or death.
I Agree!
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Could you create a patch of it?
Veylon
AI Developer

Post by Veylon »

Screenshots or death.

OK, OK. I'll get them, just give me a little bit.

The Kill window shouldn't have a bug after 32000+ kills. If you get more than two billion I make no promises.

Right now, it's one point per kill. If you want damage, metal produced, or some other score feature, I'll work on giving more choices.

And by the way, if it gives you some error about binary numbers not matching up or something, you have to delete the archivecache.txt in the main folder. This is because there is some difference between this executable and regular spring. I'll make this version use a different file so that this problem won't crop up.

As far as making a patch for it or uploading it to the CVS, I have no idea how to do this. If you do, let me know. I'll also release the source code pretty soon here.

Also, I made another starting script so that you can pick an AI and have it start with a commander at every other start point (unless it's right on top of yours). I'll put that in the next version, too.

Edit: OK, the screenshot's up there.

BTW, I also had it get the names of any Players or AI's that are in the game, and make them the right color so it's clearer who's who.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Veylon wrote:And by the way, if it gives you some error about binary numbers not matching up or something, you have to delete the archivecache.txt in the main folder. This is because there is some difference between this executable and regular spring. I'll make this version use a different file so that this problem won't crop up.
Hmm, reasonably recent SVN versions already save to ArchiveCacheV4.txt...
Veylon wrote:As far as making a patch for it or uploading it to the CVS, I have no idea how to do this. If you do, let me know. I'll also release the source code pretty soon here.
If you used TortoiseSVN to check out the source, use right click->Tortoise->Create patch.

If you used a source tarball, then it's best if you switch to using SVN, because it's far more efficient. If you really want to make a patch of source tarball, extract it a second time along the modified directory. Give the original dircetory the same name, but append "-orig" to it. Then grab the diff utility (should be in some UNIX tools for windows package) and type: diff -urN source-orig source > mypatch.patch in a dosbox (after cd'ing to the right dir). Replace source with the name of the directory where the source is (duh).
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Based on screenshot:

Looks nice, but is it toggleble?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

I got the laitest code from veylon, but i dont know what to do with lmao. I dont code, but myg does. Hes going to have a look for me at some point into incorporating it into XTA, maybe couple it with the installer were using curantly; which veylon says hes happy with :lol:

I know Veylon is so bussey (coz it takes soooooo long for him to reply to a pm) but if he could post a few development reports now and again, for us eager watchers that would be cool.

Ow and maybe the ratio some of you were talking about, 1kill = 1point = CRAP, well maybe this could be changed to MASS. Something the transports use `i think` so dont take that as gosspell ok. Then again the time could be getting to me. Just an idea though, would be a nice veriation with Mass/Kills = (av)Points.

Is that possable veylon or am i going mad :?:

EDIT:

+1 For toggle (just to be picky lol)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

hey I think its fine. a body count is cool. in XTA its not like its about swarming and everyone is generally at the same tech at the same time so its not going to be that skewed. i wants.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Napkin says he can easaly make an patch for it for the next release for spring update. That would be cool certainly.

Veylon r u alive back there ¿
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

+ the idea i was talking about. COnsider ur enemy BRAGGING about his UBER kills, when there all damn peepers......that would bug me!
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

Current SVN has the code to support this feature via the lua gui. It can
be drawn anyway that you want, and can easily be made toggleable.

The captured from/by and sent/received stats are also available.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Maybe you want icons to switch to views for...

1. KILLS
2. TOTAL UNITS*
3. SKILL LEVEL (personalized skill estimation based on kill:loss, production)
4. SCORE (based on your kills and captures, not on your losses)
5. METAL LOST**
6. ENERGY LOST**

* Known units to you, limited by LOS constraints of course
** Due to unit losses for any reason

Symbology might be

1. Skull & Crossbones
2. Scales
3. Graduate's Cap
4. Crown
5. Tilted Cross made from Shovel and Pick
6. Light Bulb
Last edited by MadRat on 16 Nov 2006, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

@trepan: no need to svn diff his code then?

Return to “Engine”