Ennemi building stay out of los

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Do you thing that discovered ennemi building should stay when they become out of los (but aren't updated if they are destroyed)?

Why ?
Because it will reduce a lot of micromanaging. Because now, when you send a plane to scoot, you must follow him and place marker the _fastest_ possible.
Because it's non-sens that we can have remembered all the wreckage on the map, the terrain deformation and not the ennemi building.
Because I don't like spending all my time seraching a bertha, when I could use it for thinking about a strategy.
Perhaps it will reduce the "fight vs blibs" effect.

Why not?
Perhaps it will reduce too much the micromanaging ? ( I can't know now )
Because we are TA player and TA player are very conservative :)

edit : sorry, I don't speak very well english. Can thos who understand me reexplain it better?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, it would be a nice addition.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Much like warcraft.

While we're at LOS, would it be possible to have an option to only see some of the colors, ie, only the fog-of-war, or only the radar and jamming, etc ?
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

@"Durendal : much like all other rts :)

Can I know why people are more intrested by this idea : http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1208 ?

Because
For Example: If it sees an enemy building, it affixes a label/dot along with the name of the building. Possibly the most immeidate/useful. Its a compromise between showing the enemy buildings' location full time once they are revealed for the first time (other RTSs do this) and not remembering them at all. [/code]
is not better in my opinon. (but it can be easly implemented I think...therefor, I don't think i could be a big problem.
And :
Bit higher level example: If you have a large army on LoS, it automtically marks the last known location of that army, so even if its gone out of LoS, your personal marker remains.
is an other question. I find it is a very cool this idea, but it could be _really_ hard to make it "intelligent" and not annoying. (exemple : Windows try to make intelligences choices for you, but I would prefere it do nothing, like linux)
Storm

Post by Storm »

Absolutely not. Ten finks and you have the enemy defese system fully mapped... so pointless...

What Old TA did was to update the los regrowth every three seconds, so even after death, there was a nice window to aim your Berthas. Please keep at least some of the oldschool fighting.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

...hum I don't know what to think. I like the old way but it seem that to be efficient, we must click the fastest possible like crazy to place marker. And I really hate that.

Perhaps make the los disapearing only after a while to have the time to place markers. (or disable marker :))
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

if such a feature is added, another micromanagement thing to do is lost

so when we keep removing all things to do, than there''s no point in playing any more...

i think it shouldn't be added and i agree with storm..
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Personally, I dont find placing marker is fun at _ALL_ .
I prefer sending order to my army, send other plane to scoot, choose what to build to efficent.

If you fear to be bored, just set the game faster. (I think it is slow now, but if I play at a faster speed, it become very hard. (especially when placing marker :))
I would prefer to not having them like in OTA.

Beside, I just want an option. Like that I can play with friends without disturbing you :)
Frog

Post by Frog »

NOiZE wrote:if such a feature is added, another micromanagement thing to do is lost

so when we keep removing all things to do, than there''s no point in playing any more...
For me "game fun" is unequal "micromanagement" . In many things The SY´s have tried to reduce micromanagment (e.g. Autoradartargeting), and I think this is another thing which should be added, to reduce Micro. On the other hand it would probably upset the balance of the game slightly, as it would make scouting much easier.
Best of all would be if it were a switch which the host could turn on or off 8)
I see a conflict with the display of Radar dots however...
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Perhaps, just let radars dots with the name of the strucutre....but beware to not lost your radar else you will loose all the informations you have gathered.

*happy to see I'm not alone :)*

edit : forget it, it's not a really cool idea.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I think it would be a nice feature whenever a building appears on Radar, on the map it self it will appear like tranparant building, so you can see the basic shape and guess what it is, and perhaps, whenever the buildings were over flown, they would appear below the fog of war like other RTS, but it would slowly fade away, it would take a few minutes before it disappears giving a window for attack, restricing micro considderably without having too much ballance destroyed.
BeeDee

Post by BeeDee »

It seems unrealistic in the extreme that an army with technology thousands of years in advance of our own wouldn't be able to pop a tape in a VCR to record the sensor information being sent back by scout planes. We do that today already with UAVs. :)

From a gameplay perspective, I don't see this reducing the "fun" much. There are still ways to keep defences surprising; mines, cloaked fusions, perhaps modify the popup turrets so that they aren't as easy to spot when they aren't popped up.
Storm

Post by Storm »

BeeDee, it's still a game and while it does seems unrelistic, I gravely oppose this suggestion because, quite frankly, it sucks. The strongest reason is that you suddenly see the whole picture of the enemy base and can plan out best you can. Heh, why don't we play without LOS whatsoever anyway?
Gabba

Re: Ennemi building stay out of los

Post by Gabba »

Torrasque wrote:Do you thing that discovered ennemi building should stay when they become out of los (but aren't updated if they are destroyed)?
I think Torrasque's idea is very good. I've been waiting for that for a long time. Many RTS have that, and it doesn't make things so easy: usually your scout gets shot at the entrance of the enemy base (if it's well defended), so mapping out the whole thing is hard. Remember that planes get shot earlier now with auto-targetting.

Storm: yeah, precisely, some TA players could use some more planning. Anyways isn't your base supposed to be all over the map, so that if they uncover one part, it's not a big deal?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Why don't we just play with permanent LOS and get over it? No radar, 100% visual overview of your enemy. After all, that would be realistic.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

But Storm, I want that to be optional!!!!! :( :( :(
SJ

Post by SJ »

I pretty much added this today. Enemy buildings stay in a ghost state after they leave your los and stay in the ghost state after they have died if you dont get los there again. Only exception is if you have had continous radar (ie it has not been interupted at any time between last los and death) on a ghosted building, then it will disapear at death.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Wahouuuu SJ, you're my GOD!
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I have two heroes; Einstein and SJ (and Jounokimoko i guess).
Storm

Post by Storm »

Spring just died a little bit. This fucking sucks.

Return to “General Discussion”