What is your problem with making your mod?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Mine is the creativity.. I used to be able to imagine things far and wide.. Now that I have the skillz, I AIN'T GOT MY CREATIVITY ANYMORE!!

ARRRGGGHHH! I AM SO PISSED!!!!

Where did it go, I miss it :cry: :cry: :cry:
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Motivation
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I need that, too, but its because of my defective creativity...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

School and laziness are my major inhibitions.
Ling_Lover

Post by Ling_Lover »

modelling... the idea of modelling and skinning is what's stopping me starting...

while technically i can do it... i hate low-poly modelling...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Then don't, move your mod idea around...

I create two mirrors: Quality and Performance...

Quality is the 2500 poly model

Performance is the 750 poly model

The difference? Nothing, except poly count.. I have an uncanny ability to slaughter my poly counts, while keeping details.

Keep trying, it ain't so bad..

Now skinning and texturing is a pain for me... I never know how good its gunna look, and hope for the best...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Time, and not having a content crew. I do the best I can ;)
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I don't want a crew, I might need one someday, but for now. I go it alone.
Why? Because I need all of the skill I can get.. Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with anything special...

And now my creativity is gone, too :evil: :cry:

God? Are you there? Are you doing this!? ...
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

You just need a break. Get some good sleep for two weeks, have some fun away from Spring. It'll still be here when you get back. Serendipity isn't exactly free. Your mind has to recharge once in awhile.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I'm losing interest pretty fast.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Development tool :(
Once Upspring, SPring scripting tools etc reach maturity I would have no problem....
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

*preps a cryotube for maestro* :P
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Awww Rattle. Your mod is shaping up to be something sweet.

for me it's sheer skill. I don't have it and I'm a slow learner.
antiCamper

Post by antiCamper »

I cant make my mod on spring ! because Spring does not suport my IDEAS !!! :x

NO MELEE !? NO "HERO UNITS" !? YOU CANT HAVE "MAGIC POWERS" ON THE UNIT's !!! NO UNIT SLOTS ("food count") etc etc...
Argh

Post by Argh »

99% of making a mod is hard work. 1% is coming up with neato ideas. If you can't make a game without that laundry-list, then learn to code in C# and help the OSRTS folks write modules when the core is done, to add those features.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I found out what Argh said the hard way. But it was still fun and definitely worh doing.
Argh

Post by Argh »

1. The smaller your game design, the greater your chance of actually getting it done. People write these gradiose, huge design documents, then fail... constantly. Instead, think, "hey, how can I make this with only 10 kinds of guys/tanks/whatever on each side"... get it built... then expand. By the time you've gotten those 20 things done, you will also know a LOT more about how to actually do things.

2. Don't be afraid to make a game by just stealing OTA models/scripts and slamming it all together to make a new game. There are literally THOUSANDS of units that people have made, available for FREE, on UnitUniverse. Just steal some and start going to town! Your mod will look visually chaotic, until you learn how to actually model, script, etc., but at least you'll have a starting-place :-)

In short... don't be a talker... be a do-er. There are literally dozens of small-scale ideas that nobody has done yet with Spring that might be a lot of fun :-)

Here are a few:

1. Make a WWI simulation. Instead of worrying about "historical accuracy" and other annoying stuff, though, just concentrate on getting the feel right.

All you need is:

A. One tank, that's slow and fairly weak against artillery, but is immune to machine-gun/rifle fire. Arm the turret with a machine-gun.

B. One static turret, representing machinegunners in a fixed pit. Make it take little damage from "rifles", more damage from machine-guns, and die from direct artillery hits.

C. One K-Bot to be the "soldiers", armed with a slow-firing weapon that is a "rifle".

D. One static turret, representing artillery in a fixed position (in WWI, artillery didn't move around during battles very much, so this is reasonably realistic). Artillery should make use of EdgeEffectiveness, and cause craters through ImpulseFactor. This means that only direct hits will cause serious damage to tanks. Make the artillery have a very long range, but considerable inaccuracy.

E. One airplane with a machine gun, very vulnerable to direct hits from almost anything, but flying high enough that it rarely gets hit.

F. An Engineer unit that can heal terrain and lay down mines and barbed-wire really fast. Not armed.

G. A barracks to produce the mobile units.

H. Mines- both anti-tank and anti-infantry.

I. "barbed-wire"- AKA DTs or whatever.

That's it. Make the Barracks produce just enough Metal/Energy to support itself as it builds. Make building a new Barracks take almost forever, and have the Engineer unable to Assist (we can do that now). Voila... you've got the essence of WWI. I could probably build a rough edit of this, using units that other people made/scripted... in a day or two. It's not hard, people. Go make a neato game!
Argh

Post by Argh »

Idea 2:

Make a game where ImpulseFactor (that's what moves things around during explosions) is the primary way to kill things! Have weapons that do little damage, but bounce units around like maracas! Give units different mass, so some have better "armor" than others, but do more damage to the things they land on ;)

Idea 3:

Make a game where everything except for bases is an aircraft.

Idea 4:

Make a game where none of the units generate any resources, so you are stuck with what you came with. Somebody did something like that with AA once, and it was interesting, but not fully developed. For example, you could make things cost very little (M/E is a float, not an integer, in Spring), so cutting down a single tree could be a big deal! Or you could make Energy cheap, but starve people on Metal- make players fight over every rock on a map ;)

Idea 5:

Make a game with three unit types: spotting aircraft, engineering units that can build factories, solars/wind and Metal Mines really fast, equipped with AA guns, and GIANT NUCLEAR ARTILLERY CANNONS. The entire game would then become a fast-paced game of cat-and-mouse. Plus I'd get to see my nuke code get reused over and over again ;)

Idea 6.

Make a game where one unit can hurt others, one unit can freeze units but not harm them, and one unit can capture very fast. Do I kill, freeze or capture? Do I freeze and capture, or kill? Are some units ImmuneToParalyzer? Are some units CantBeCaptured? Are some units practically immune to the killing-weapons? Could be very good fun.

In short... get creative, people. Use the resources previous modders have already provided you. Don't be afraid to make weird games- you don't have to remake OTA for it to be fun :-)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

FLOZi wrote:Motivation
QFT.
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

inability to - model, script, texture, map and learn

Return to “Game Development”