New Mod/Conversion: GEAR COMMANDER - Page 18

New Mod/Conversion: GEAR COMMANDER

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Time to revive this thread :?

I've recently tried to improve the texture quality in GC and one of the ways im gonna do it is up standard texture size from 256x256 to 512x512. Four times the amount of texturing space avaliable will greatly greatly greatly help the detail. To conserve video memory instead now similar gears will share texture, ie southern heavies for example (spit, king cobra, striking c, support c, boa?)

And the first gear up to show this improved texturing is a brand new gear, and probably a welcome sight for those familiar with the hg universe :twisted:

*announcer voice*
Behold, the KING COBRA!

Ill let the armnament list speak for itself:
1x Light Particle Accelerator
1x Medium Rocket Pack
1x Light Autocannon
1x Light Guided Mortar
1x Heavy Rocket Pack
1x Anti Personell Grenade Launcher
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Looks nice :-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Centurion: just FYI... every single unit in NanoBlobs has its own 512... the texture size doesn't cause a great deal of load, compared to other factors.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

This, is looking very sweet indeed.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Nice work centurion! :)

Adding to what Argh said, since your models are pretty low poly, you can use bigger tex sizes without sacrificing much performance.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

King Kobras rock... did you eat the talent with a spoon? :?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Argh wrote:Centurion: just FYI... every single unit in NanoBlobs has its own 512... the texture size doesn't cause a great deal of load, compared to other factors.
How many units in NB?
antiCamper

Post by antiCamper »

hard core :!:
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Hey thanks all for the nice feedback, it's really nice to hear!

So.. In other news, im getting a bit fed up with the slow progress and have decided to move to the next phase, so now im accepting beta applications. Please Pm me with details:

-Prior beta experience
-Heavy Gear / other Mecha (HG preferable) knowledge / background
-MSN adress (must have)
-other

Im not really serious about these, except the MSN adress. Im looking for about 5-10 testers initially. The mod is nowhere near done, but i must get thing going and im thinking a beta might do that.

Also, Im looking for your input on LVL1 arty. Currently, the forward vehicle plant can only build the apcs (badger, caiman) and is not very useful compared to the forward gear facility or barracks. So I was thinking that I'd add the only real level 1 arty to it, but I dont know what kind of arty that'd be.

Options could be
1) Towed artillery towed by camel truck (maybe screwy ingame, im thinking a unit with gun attached to back, with a 45 degree rearward facing firing arc)

2) Badger with a light field gun or light field mortar instead of autocannons. Not official but might work. Then counterpart would be Crocodile AFV with HRP.

Or anything else?[/i]
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

arty, couldnt that just be like a defense structure? you could have a limited fire angle and allow it to face the direction when building implimenting the use of the rotation function for building structures.
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Yeah i tought about that too. Maybe, but id prefer mobile arty as well. Also bob just wanted to say that you are ofcourse in the beta also!

Had some time to work today, so for no real reason i give you two new Badger APC variants with new pimpy 512x512 textures:
The Badger CFV variant
The Rabid Badger
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

Very cool variants! Liking the look of this mod more and more.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hmm the UV doesn't look seamless from the front or sides... but cool model and skin and lovely tires.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

lol, your name is cent101... Hehehe
Alex_Murdock

Post by Alex_Murdock »

Very cool mod. I wouldn't mind beta testing this baby.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Shiny!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I would love to Beta, but I don't have MSN.
centurion-1

Post by centurion-1 »

Well why not get it..? its free and its not a big hassle. I really need to have the beta testers on msn so i can communicate with them easily.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Or better yet, get miranda. It supports most IM networks through protocol dlls, it's free and it's fully customizable. Can be shiny or very minimal.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

*bump*

Return to “Game Development”