XTA Development discussion - Page 7

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:Loading screen tips Ideas:

Level 2 Spy Kbots can use their cloak and invisibility to radar to deploy close to enemies providing Line of sight and accuracy for long ranged weapons.
thuds and hammers can fire in high trajectory for extra damage at the cost of innacuracy versus moving targets.
Once you have a stable l2 economy, begin reclaiming your metal extractors and replacing them with Moho mines: moho mines require 300 energy to run but extract 3x more metal.
Zippers and freakers ... and inexpensive l1 Infantry kbots to safegaurd important structures from zippers.
Are you sure you play XTA?

- In XTA only mines are stealth and cloackable, not spy bots.
(Note, owever, that your own jammers jamm your own radar (meaning it won't detect enemie spies cloacked).)

- Hammers and Thuds have extra dmg while high traj???

- Mohos give 6 times more metal, not 3.
(Still it is worth noting the fact they they suck up 300 E so people will not get caught unaware)

- Peewees are totaly (and i mean totally) worthless at defending from Zippers, Freakers, Weasels and Jeffys.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

colorblind wrote:...
Why do it yourself? You'd better use MexUpgraderAI to do it for you :). I know, I should really make some loadscreen tips for all of the groupAIs ('cause I bet there aren't many players that use the RadarAI, ReportIdleAI or EconomyAI actively).
:shock:
MexUpgraderAI? RadarAI, ReportIdleAI or EconomyAI? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm such a noob... :oops:
pintle

Post by pintle »

start tip: spam crashorz!!11!
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

No, I dont play XTA, how stupid am I? :? Idiot. Actually, have to confess i was making an assumption about the hammerer/thud high traj thing.

tips:

once your opponent has anti-air, Use scoutplanes in large waves (10+) to ensure that casualties dont stop them scouting all the way to their destination.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

Ive been thinking, (never been my stong point that)
the fast-w are proving quite a challange. After a little hint i found (thanks to paulada) the reload times are not totaly the same for the 2 fast-w. The difference of 0.2 seconds was rather shocking!

After some testing i found that lowering the health or the damadge per second rate made the unit some what redundant. But yet for a level one unit it has the amaizaing ability to rewen your game play by trashing and/or cornering the opposing player/s.

The fast-w have been nerfed in the previouse update, BUT!

1) Are you all happy with the health and the damadge (going to sort out dps)

2) Do they need further nerfing? If so how?
I thought about having missle towers having a slight bonus against them. Thus leaving the usual open field units a normal hard time chassing them, and running them down. This in turn makes it easyer to defend thoughs presious mexxers with a few missle towers.

Its just a passing tought that i expect 90% of you will hate. But if you all truly believe that fast--w should be nerfed i think this would be a simple answere.

WHAT SAY YOU XTA FANS?

::EDIT::

Also a big thanks to aGorm for the load screens. They will be replacing my ones in the next release. And i dont see the pause for more of them. 1 extra meg of pics wont stop people from downloading it. They are a vital part of the growth of XTA, training nooblings is the way forward!
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:Ive been thinking, (never been my stong point that)
the fast-w are proving quite a challange.
WHAT SAY YOU XTA FANS?
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4229
PauloMorfeo wrote:...
What to do about the zipper?
- Maybe it should not belong to lvl-1. That, kind of, leaves everything to lvl-2 and doesn't fir much the scale of XTA but i would be in favour of it.
- Maybe change it's cost to not be so shifted to Build Time, costing more metal.
- This is my favourite, change Zippers and Jeffies to, instead of dealing damage, making them paralisers.
- Add them to the class of planes (considering them as having thin armour as planes have), so missiles deal them extra damage like they do to planes.
I have changed my mind about one thing, though, adding it to the class of planes, as it would make them too vulnerable (as in useless) after enough missile units are up and stronger if the guy is defending with, like, Peewees, Rockos, etc.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

"Fast-W" are Zippers and Freakers?

I think those are fine currently. A single or pair of Fast-W are much easier to fend off early in the game now. That was the reason for nerfing them in the first place, right?
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

I've noticed that it seems like XTA doesn't have gradual reclaim enabled like AA does. (Where the unit gets the resources as it reclaims, not all at the very end). Any chance of getting this changed? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

problem with that, is that it opens up a few exploits involving resurrection, iirc.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Im very happy to see that napkin likes the currant changes :lol:

And yes FAST-W = Zippers/Freakers (a terminoligy i cooked up coz i was fed up of re-writting the same name over & over..........

The concept of changeing the build time for metal is BEAUTIFULL! Perhaps such a taisty unit should cost more ?

I dont aggree with moving the fast-w out of lvl1 though. Its been there for as long as i can reember and taking ti out wouldnt `feel` right when playing.

As always, this possable nerfing is all down to the players. If there is enough msg's here to urge me into a further nerfing i will happily do so!

SO........Bug all the people out there playing XTA and get them to post a reply here a.s.a.p :wink:

Are you all happy with the % crashers nerf? to much ?
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Hmmm... Crasher/Jethro nerfing...

They are quite weak against level 1 bombers now. So, one needs to bundle them a bit more ;) Not sure this is a bad thing...

Edit: Oh, who's that Napkin guy you are talking to? :P
pintle

Post by pintle »

I don't think crasher etc dmg vs air has changed, but t1 bombers have a 100hp boost, and they are now actually viable instead of gunship spam (as myg knows :P)
Despite my whining pre-release that they were gonna be too nerfed, i think that aa kbots etc are just about right. I'm seeing a lot more people using AK/Peewees, and that is a very good thing imo. Unless its mong killing all my d00ds with aks...
Spid4rz seem to be reduced to early t2 defence and pwning t1 now, they drop like flies in the open field, not so great for mixing with panthers for a raid anymore. That said they are cheap, and fire sexeh blue beams.

What do people think of stumpies/raiders? i still find it really hard to make em useful; I only start vehic if im going to flash rush, and after flashes spam samsons, I think maybe heavy t1 tanks need some buffing/cost reduction. They can own most other t1 stuff, but 1 hlt will stop 10 or so, and they are too slow to turn etc to avoid dgunning. They leave quite a bit of metal in corpses if you raid with them as well. Could just be my playstyle but i find them really hard to use well, to the point where i never build em. Anyone else have similar thoughts?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

People would just churn out zippers faster, I say increase the metal cost and keep the buildtime the same.

noobs are of the notion that the more expensive something is the longer it takes to build, and modders fly in the face of this in a counterintuitive actions of making things build faster for less metal by reducing buildtime, when it should be the other way round, increasing buildtime, and then increasing metal cost so they're still expensive.

And I think they shouldnt be as hard to kill as they are now, and that imo fleas < zippers.

look at how long it takes 2 or 3 jethros to kill a freaker.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

I feel that the currant build time is acceptable, the turn rate was a gd idea and i will sort out the dps next release (a.s.a.p)

A higher cost of metal is much more XTA style, i wouldnt want special damadge relaited properties tbh. It becomes more rock/paper/scissors then. Who would want that!

Now looking back, the MT special properties was a stupid ideA.

NEXT UPDATE E.T.A

This all depends on whats happening for me on the weekend. Fingers crossed i should be all free. This should mean i have lots of time for testing ect..

Also. MYG says he has a new flight model for the fighters. News updates as they develop (as always :-) )
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

OW,
this gradual reclaiming concept. Dont like it! Imagen sucking up a kroggy like a mexxer would. I think i speak for almost all XTA player when i say.....

`The fun behind sucking up corpses is having to hold the area, long enough to do the job properly`

Having to hold off rades whilst desperatrly consuming corpses is a major tacktick in XTA. If we had the option to nip in and out taking little chunks of metal at a time would change gameplay far to much.

If a player is prepaired anough he/she can still do this with rez/fark kbots against |v1 corpses.

Chainging this would trash |v1 gameplay imo.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

I understand your point. Although you still have to hold the area for as long as it takes the unit to suck up the corpse. In AA it definitely didn't change the gameplay at all.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

IMO gradual reclaiming makes it even more important to hold the area, because if you don't hold it the enemy can quickly steal a bite of the metal.

Also with the traditional reclaiming:

when there is a big wreck, aka Krogoth in the "no mans land" then no one will even attempt to get the wreck as it's just too hard to hold the land.

So in my humble opinion, gradual reclaiming makes the gameplay mroe dynamic.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

no-one would be able to for a while, put then the whole battle would focus on pushing the enemy back and moving the resuurect bots in, which would be own.
pintle

Post by pintle »

i have reclaimed/rezzed krogoths nearly every time i have seen them in battle
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

dude! ur suppost to aid in debate about tackticks & bugs. Not blag about how gd u r lol

I see no reason to change reclaiming method at this time.

Having to hold an area long enough to rez or reclaim corpses is vital. Yes it means you will have to push very hard on one spot for a long time. Thus leaving other weeker parts of base defencless. But the traid off is that if succesfull you get either a massive amount of metal or new units!

Quickly nipping in an out of taking bites out of a kroggy.....well....less tackticks involved

Return to “Game Development”