XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

Myg

Post by Myg »

This old thread from the v8 release has been converted to a discussion on the Development of XTA. Enjoy.
Last edited by Myg on 29 Nov 2006, 06:00, edited 21 times in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

And there was MUCH rejoicing.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Get the Change Log http://homepage.eircom.net/~cncdls/XTA/ ... ngeLog.doc <- Word Document ?! :|
Myg

Post by Myg »

yes, considering That Openoffice is free and available, didnt seem like a bad thing :-)

Text option up now.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

:-)
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Im no XTA fan, but the automated installer is genius. A few less whining noobs I have to worry about.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

A few comments:

* Why has the mod file no version number? The mod name also doesn't have a version number.
* The arm and core commander logos are really unintelligble; I'd prefer my own commander icons tbh.
* The nuke logo is nice, but why doesn't the arm silo have it?
* The building icons would be better off with radiusadjust=1 (which will allow you to distinguish between big and small buildings)
* I really don't like the new logo, and in fact the new load screens are, apart from the tips (which are really nice), worse than the v7 screens.

I haven't played it though, so I can't comment on the unit changes (yet).
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

So what exactly wrong with the logo? Its loud, aggressive and enticing, exactly what it should of been!

As for the com icons, yes they are not as good as they should be. Photoshop does not handle alpha channels to well in tga lol More work on them will be a.s.a.p And it wont be a problem because of the auto updater!

Due to limited support on the testing i am expecting some harsh criticism, bug little bugs like the silo are not a problem and can be solved easily!
Ill do some more work on it this weekend, maybe some more load screen with tips as well for the noobs.
Oh colorblind, the icons u proposed for the coms are factual in proportion, but are but ugly because of the Core com. This is the sole reason why i went for the symbols.

Ill bust my broadband limit tomorrow perhaps and get `TheGimp` to aid me in the correction of the symbols.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

I guess the logo is a matter of taste, so let's not argue about that anymore :) (but for all I care you can switch back to the old one :)

The arm and core commander icons don't have a thick black border which make them a blur at large distances (and on the minimap). I agree my core comm icon isn't as nice looking as the arm comm logo, but that is due to the fact that the core comm's model is in fact a bit weird when viewed from the side. The icon is just a modified version of its frontal view.

Oh and don't forget to set radiusadjust=1 for the building icons, and to include a version number next time :).
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Sorry... but who in there right mind likes the new logo??

Im actully temped to vote this as worse than XTA 7 just on the logo. (I won't, I'll just wait for you to change it.)

Also the tips arn't clear on those intro screens... Who the HEll did that?!?! I could do way better!

::EDIT:: OK , I'm actully having to tuen my monitor off to skip the load screens... In case you can't tell I realy dont like them.

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If you'd asked I'd have made kickass loading screens for you given a copy of aGorms XTA logo with no background...
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Hi,

the logo is fine.. and it's just a logo, not worth such a dramatic scene...

Even though I liked the loading screens of the old version better, the hints are a good idea. I haven't been able to read them yet, because spring is loading to fast.

I am also wondering, why there is no more version number? Is this supposed to be the last release? Don't tell me you guys had enough of the sh*t already? ;)

Now, going to play my first round of this new and shiny XTA :-)

Thanks for all the effort, guys :-D

BTW, I uploaded it to unknown-files.net. Maybe someone can also update the community news on the main-page?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

why would it not be better? very little has changed, just a few sounds and a few balance changes decided on by the community. so its better. tips on the loading screens are good.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

That logo is awful. It reminds me of something I would have done as a preteen in photoshop. Or a logo for a skateboard company or something. A simple design like the old one looks much better and professional.

Aside from that the balance changes seem good. The only one I fail to see the need for is the changes to the morty.
pintle

Post by pintle »

overall, improvement over v7.
RAGE at teh fact that freakers are nerfed without a cost change, there is no reason for them to cost more than zippers.

I agree that the load screens could do with a polish, although i dont percieve it as a massive priority.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

So far I like the balance changes, but I agree that the old logo looked much more proffesional. And less stupid.

Please change the logo back.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

hrmph wrote:That logo is awful. It reminds me of something I would have done as a preteen in photoshop. Or a logo for a skateboard company or something. A simple design like the old one looks much better and professional.
But then again, the target market of RTS games might be preteens... I thought the logo was a little over the top, but it made me grin.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

It's SHINY. That's what matters >_<
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

no no no no no no NO!
[MOD]
{
Name=XTA;
Description=XTA;
URL=http://www.clan-sy.com/;
ModType=1;
NumDependencies=3;
Depend0=springcontent.sdz;
Depend1=otacontent.sdz;
Depend2=tatextures.sdz;

[NTAI]
{
tdfpath=XTA;
}
}
You've just broken NTai 0.29->XE9.3, 20+ versions of NTai, over nearly 9 months of development time. NTai with this build will now use the default buildtree instead of the custom XTA buildtree lindir worked on and still is working on, the point of that tag is you set it once and it never changes regardless of new versions. This is just one big headache ontop of a mod folder with 8 or 9 beta mod archives due to inconsistent naming.

Whatsmore you rename to XTA.sdz from XTAPE.sdz which means it wont try to load from the XTAPE folder having not found a valid tag either.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Community news updated.

Return to “Game Development”