Poll: Increase the avatar sizes.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Should we increase avatar sizes?

Yes, but only raise kbyte limit a bit. 10 kbyte or something
19%
Yes, but only increase the maximum pixel size to 100x100
1%
Yes, increase both of em.
27%
No (please state reason)
52%

Total votes: 67

Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Now, before you vote, the current avatar size is 4 kbyte, 80x80.

It's extremely annoying to find and avatar that small, since the standard of most forums are 100x100. Plus, even avatars that are 80x80 AND are not animated are often to big. Do i always have to compress it and fiddle around with file types so we can save like what, 6 kbyte per avi? That's almost... 120 KBYTE PER PAGE! :O Which would take you an extra NOTHING even with a modem.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Voted No, reason: No
El Capitano

Post by El Capitano »

80x80's fine, make your own damn avatar instead of stealing somebody else's :P
mualjtaulur

Post by mualjtaulur »

80x80 is enough, however 1kb more space wouldn't hurt much
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

No, because they would have if they'd wanted to.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

No. Having them enabled at all is generous, so quit petitioning for larger ones.

Unless you start paying Fnordia for bandwidth, you're in no place to ask for more of it.

Personally I find that people tend to abuse avatar rights with annoying flashing things like Snipawolf has, and making the size larger would only result in MORE avatars like his - animated flashing nonsense. If you feel your artistic skills are being stifled, then make a bunch of really great avatars and post them somewhere that cares.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Das Bruce wrote:No, because they would have if they'd wanted to.
... the what?
Personally I find that people tend to abuse avatar rights with annoying flashing things like Snipawolf has, and making the size larger would only result in MORE avatars like his - animated flashing nonsense.
oh you mean mine? That sniper borrowed? Which was just created for shits and giggles, and just to prove that you CAN have annoying avi's even with these restrications and that just that argument is NULL. And even so, mine got removed! Which means... THAT ANNOYING AVATARS WILL BE REMOVED!
Unless you start paying Fnordia for bandwidth, you're in no place to ask for more of it.
6 extra kbyte's... hell i'd settle for 2-3 extra, which is the normal size for a 100x100 non animated avatar.! How much bandwitdh is that? I'll gladly pay him the extra cents needed.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

But why do you need them at all?

My point wasn't that the current restrictions make annoying flashy things impossible, but they sure do cut down on it, and the fact that you've shown that you can be annoying in this size argues for yet stricter size limits, or a limiting to .jpg only or something.

Das Bruce was saying that there's a reason for the current limits, and there's no good reason to change it, other than to stop your whining. Avatars are essentially useless - sometimes pretty, but mostly useless, and just add clutter to the forum. So be happy that they're enabled at all, and stop badgering for more bandwidth, even if it is a few cents for you (keep in mind how a few cents escalates to much more with more people, and page loads.)

Honestly, you're acting like entitled brats, and there's no good reason to appease people like that.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Doesn't really bother me much, either way. I wouldn't mind having one extra KB to work with though, if I want to do something fancy but not irritating. 1 more KB would make a world of difference when compressing with tiny images. Could mean the difference between 64x64 16 colors and 80x80 24 (maybe even 32) colors.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Yes, but only raise kbyte limit a bit. 10 kbyte or something

I prefer not having avatars, but at least it might mean less horrible compression.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Wait, I borrowed something, or is there some other sniper somewhere..

Mine was the flashing wolf, which I have changed back to Rei..

:?: :?: :?
EXit_W0und

Post by EXit_W0und »

No.
Reason: I like to read the forum posts not be distracted by avatars - a small thing for quickly identifying a person posting is enough.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Well...the AMPLE pm space makes up for a lack of avatar space, imo...
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

I guess a few more kb's for avatars can't hurt.
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Snipawolf wrote:Wait, I borrowed something, or is there some other sniper somewhere..

Mine was the flashing wolf, which I have changed back to Rei..

:?: :?: :?
Oh sorry... i mistok you for... androsk? the guy that copied Cadyrs old avi before?
I guess a few more kb's for avatars can't hurt.
Awesome, thanks! :D
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Oh, ok...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Some websites allow directly linking to our avatars on our own servers.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Avatars are important, they give a quickly identifiable face to the poster so you remember him, that's how I remember people tbh, by avatar and then by name.

I still voted no, 80x80 4kb is enough.

Remember, Kixxe, you have no rights online.

[Let it be known that I wanted to post a picture from Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail's famous "Help, Help, I'm Being Oppressed!" scene, but somehow the Internets has phailed at giving me said picture.]
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

i just dont care... but now its raised to 10 anyway :) well compressing an image to 4 aint hard at all when its 80x80... the increase only helps ppl who are too lazy to compress or want to make "complex" animations (witch in my opinion are useless waste of space)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

KDR_11k wrote:Some websites allow directly linking to our avatars on our own servers.
You lose the ability to auto enforce any size restriction at all when you do that. We couldn't enforce a maximum avatar xy dimension if we did that, let alone kb size restrictions. There are 100x100 animated avatars out there that are over a megabyte in size. GG if you're a 56k user trying to browse the forums.

Return to “General Discussion”