commanders repelling D-gun shots

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

just an idea for the AA/XTA style commanders, everyone gets pissed off when one com d-guns another. would it be possible to make the coms have a (not visible) sheild like the AA ones that effect gravity on projectiles to make them bounce away that only bounces D-gun shots? meaning that when one com is present, the other com wont be able to use his d-gun effectively (say field range 900) and visa versa as the Anti matter in the commander effects the ultra matter of the d-gun. or somthing
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Hmmmm... ultra matter... I like it. :P

Someone tell me how those STUPID RETARDED BITFIELD THINGS OF DOOM WORK and I'll give it a try.
antiCamper

Post by antiCamper »

nice idea :wink:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Caydr wrote:Hmmmm... ultra matter... I like it. :P

Someone tell me how those STUPID RETARDED BITFIELD THINGS OF DOOM WORK and I'll give it a try.
That's fairly easy.

Example:
Lasers get mask 1, cannons 2, rockets 4 and the dgun 1024.

A shield with the mask 1031 would block everything, 1030 blocks cannons, rockets and dguns, 1029 blocks lasers, rockets and dguns etc.

To easier understand it take a look at the binary values...

Code: Select all

00000000001 = 1 (lasers)
00000000010 = 2 (cannons)
00000000100 = 4 (rockets)
10000000000 = 1024 (dgun)

10000000101 = 1029 (shield1, no cannons)
10000000111 = 1031 (shield2, blocks everything)
It's done through binary addition in the code I guess so...

Code: Select all

1029 & 1024 == true, blocks dguns
1029 & 2 == false, does not block cannons
1029 & 1 == true, blocks lasers
Hope that's comprehendible (and what you wanted to know and not full of mistakes).
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

AAHHHH!!! BINARY!!! MAKES SENSE NOW!!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Ain't it all in the wiki>
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Hmm... I wonder if the... uh... the repulsor thing, if it can block weapons that are bouncing? Would suck pretty much if this magic d-gun shield OF DOOM didn't work if you just shot in front of the commie.
Snipawolf wrote:Ain't it all in the wiki>
Banned!

~~~

Hmm... wait, wait, wait. Isn't d-gunning a comm your last line of defense against an invading one-man-army assclown player?
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Hmm... wait, wait, wait. Isn't d-gunning a comm your last line of defense against an invading one-man-army assclown player?
Awww, i'm flattered! :P
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Enjoy your flattery in the last moments before you're BANNED!
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Caydr wrote:Hmm... I wonder if the... uh... the repulsor thing, if it can block weapons that are bouncing? Would suck pretty much if this magic d-gun shield OF DOOM didn't work if you just shot in front of the commie.
Snipawolf wrote:Ain't it all in the wiki>
Banned!

~~~

Yeah, but thats cause its Dgun him before he Dguns you..... your comm's laser would still work, meaning that HE had the harder time, cause while he and you duked it out, your remaining base would produce units which would also damage him, and if you time it right, your com may even run away to fight again another day....
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I.... s'pose...
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

I'd suggest giving the comm a moderately large shield that kills dgun shots on impact, is solid (not a shell), blocks both allies and enemy stuff, but not things fired from within. I think that's possible *checks changelog*

That *should* make it so that your comm can dgun things, but that griefer teammates and comm rushers trying to dgun your base will be foiled, and comms won't be able to dgun each other in general. Because dgunning a comm is really never a good move. Ever. Even if they're in your base, dgunning them just makes it so that you lose even MORE of your base, since they both go up in smoke.

Edit: just kidding, its not possible. Should still be able to do something close to that though. Maybe a repulsor with a very high repulse rate..should bounce the dgun shots away, but ones fired from inside should be alright.
Last edited by Nemo on 15 Oct 2006, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Caydr wrote:Hmm... wait, wait, wait. Isn't d-gunning a comm your last line of defense against an invading one-man-army assclown player?
No, about 3 or 4 atlases are :P
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

D-Gunning an overextended comm is more a "before he enters your base" thing. IE, it rewards people who keep their eyes open. I was thinking that a wide-area anti-D-Gun shield around the Commander might be interesting, but that'd make Commander defense creeping even more annoying than it already is.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I'd rather just see the commdeath do minimal damage to all units except the comm. That would stop commbombing, eliminate the "comm-weakpoint" problem, and would make a mutual-dgunning a reasonable response to the commrush.

But that's just me.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I think everyone would be surprised if they found out just how much of a non-issue this is.

LEAVE TEH COMMBALANCE ALOENZ! :P
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

bouncy dgun shields? ;'{(
i do actually like the idea though obviously as all things it should be a varient
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Yup, it sounds fun, but it should never, ever be implimented in the main mod, as dragon said, it really is a non-issue.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

The bouncyness would make it possible to dgun yourself.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

hmm.. thats true.. hopefuly the projectiles will be deflected upward somewhat. and its only an issue if you try and use the d-gun when near another com, which this is supposed to discourage.

I had another idea, which was why not make the d-gun do no damage but massive impulse. then it wouldnt be possible to do a com base rape, but would be possible to send opposing units/commanders flying. then com fight would be like insta gib: first one to hit sends the other flying, maybe even into their own base to explode. but I decided this one would probably mess up the gameplay too much (coms being ineffective vs light laser towers, ships etc)

Return to “Game Development”