Great Divide 2

Great Divide 2

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Warlord

Great Divide 2

Post by Warlord »

yup, conversion to spring, real credits to moho for making the actual map for ota.

(screenies at last post)

first map i made, so if it sucks well.. err damn :/

feedback needed pls

download: http://cutlass.hosted.luckz.de/gd2.zip (updated version)

some creds to nitrus aswell for his mapconv which removes the tree thing
Last edited by Warlord on 22 May 2005, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Fear Zwzsg's wrath ;)

I think for such map, I could be better to remake the texture map with terragen or TerrTexGen (http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1122)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Well that looks like SHIT. And no, I'm not being overly dramatic.
When will people learn that you can't use the exact same textures for spring as for TA?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Include "-i" in the mapconv command.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

-i arg...many thanks Storm :)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

You do realise the texture map is misaligned to the heightmap by the size of a gantry a least, and that it shows a lot, right?

It doesn't look right to see the blue of water ponds painted over a near vertical cliff. It doesn't look right to have mountaineous texture on flat land. It doesn't look right to have hill completly green, and next to it hilly textures completly flat.

What you can do is: cut of few lines of the heightmap, and add them back to the other side of the heightmap, so the heightmap image is shifted while keeping its dimension.

With a single glance at the minimap I can see the nort-south was inverted on the heightmap. How comes you don't see it?

I see no metal spots. I assume you've turned GD2 into a metal map. I think the changes in gameplay it implies are rather majors.

I undersand that you want to turn all your favorite TA maps into Spring map. But I wish you'd realise it's not just a matter of exporting texture map and heightmap and directly feeding them to mapconv. You've got:
- Check that the heightmap isn't inverted with the texture map. At least for the first time. Later you'll learn about the -i switch.
- Check that the heightmap isn't shifted with the texture map. You've got to recenter it until it fits as closely as possible.
- Re-add metal spots. Yes, it takes a bit more times, but it is possible to get metal spot that show in normal view and that give as much metal as in the orignal map, as proven by mufdvr222 2nd edition of Lava Highground.
- Change the .smd values to get correct wind, fitting sky (not a issue here), accurate gravity, correct start position, etc... You can see them in the "map properties" of Annihilator, or by looking with notepad at the .ota of the OTA map.

And those aren't the step to get a perfect gorgeous map, just the step to avoid complete rubbishness. Ultimately, to get a really good-looking port, you'll realise that you may have to redo it entirely. I understand that you don't have the skill or the time to do that, and that you don't want to spend more than 5 minutes before being able to claim that you made a spring map, but then you could at least fix the heighmap alignement. It would really make the map a lot better, and isn't difficult at all to do.

Spring is a magnificient engine, capable of running gorgeous maps, but by releasing two-minutes conversion, you're deserving it.

I tried to refrain me from flaming, but ARG!!! you'd deserve it for realeasing a map with such a blatantly wrong heightmap.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I've always thought this map was abysmal. I wonder why it's gotten so popular in places like Zone? (maybe I've just answered my own question)
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

remake the texture, and add something a little more interesting than just flat land across the rest. Apart from that, its not as bad as everyone has made out!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It is worse than everyone has made out.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Spring is shipped with Small Divide, which is a much better looking interpretation of GD2.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

wow zwzsg... I'm glad you didn't pound on my map :D

A thankful,
Buggi
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

k, i've fixed all the height bugs, start pos bugs, also changed the sky that fits with the lush and added a nice green luschy tint. :)

http://cutlass.hosted.luckz.de/gd2.zip
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

screenies of updates...
Greenish tint =D
Fixed height =)
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Eeeegh, units are too green, lay off a little on that. :/
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »