Why spring doesnt qualify as an open source project

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

iamacup

Post by iamacup »

it doesn't accept donations other than money.

As many of you know, the lobby server is lagging, alot, all the time, even now with only 81 people in main it is lagging.

I have offered a server which will most likely solve all lag isues, one of the reason it is NOT being used is because i am not on best of terms with the person who makes these desicions

now, i am aware of at least two other people who have also offered to give servers to this project simply to stop the lag. however the person in charge of this does not want a third party...... anything.

offers made

current server = dual 500MHZ

my 3 servers ->
1 x 3GHZ
2 x 2.5 GHZ

Dedalus's Server ->
1 x 2.4 GHZ

Ufearerer's Server ->
Unknown Stats

I do not care if the lobby server is not moved to my server, i just want the lag fixed. i was told that i should host my own server separate to the main server and just advertise it on unknown files etc... and i think this would work however it would also split the community and it just wouldn't look good for a game that has so much promise.

please, person in charge of the lobby server, make use of what is on offer instead of rejecting it simply because you wish to have sole access to stuff.

(this argument can also be put forward for "why has unknown files not been used for built in downloads?" - The reason is the same as stated above)

also, there is no need to quote messages from me trying to discredit me, i can do that myself thank you.
pintle

Post by pintle »

i dont care how it is done, but the lag needs fixing. This seems to be to be a very easy way of fixing teh lag, and improving spring at the same time.

Could the person who makes this decision, if not willing to engage in this forum, PM me the reason or reasons against using these servers please.
kujeger

Post by kujeger »

These issues have nothing at all to do with spring's OSS status.
tombom

Post by tombom »

I think it's pretty sad that about once a week we have threads where there are bad things because nobody important seems to like each other.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Not each other, tombom, just you. ;)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Should I ban him? ;)
pheldens

Post by pheldens »

Donate your cpu and mainboard and ram, I'm sure they are open to the idea.
Tim Blokdijk

Re: Why spring doesnt qualify as an open source project

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

iamacup wrote:... because i am not on best of terms with the person who makes these desicions
And who is that? Jelmer, Betalord, Tobi and/or Fnordia ??

You know, I'm getting really sick of these "problems" developers seem to have without any real indication on why or what.

PLEASE, (and I say this in general) if you have anything more official then some informal chat, use the mailinglist!
It allows ALL people involved with the project to respond and stay up to date with developments. And disagreements can be mediated to, something that is impossible on IRC and other private communication tools.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Do better cpu/ram will really remove lag ?
Isn't the connection more important ? I don't think the lobby server take that much cpu power/ram.
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

kujeger wrote:These issues have nothing at all to do with spring's OSS status.
true but it made you read this thread, see below
Tim Blokdijk wrote:
iamacup wrote:... because i am not on best of terms with the person who makes these desicions
And who is that? Jelmer, Betalord, Tobi and/or Fnordia ??

You know, I'm getting really sick of these "problems" developers seem to have without any real indication on why or what.

PLEASE, (and I say this in general) if you have anything more official then some informal chat, use the mailinglist!
It allows ALL people involved with the project to respond and stay up to date with developments. And disagreements can be mediated to, something that is impossible on IRC and other private communication tools.
betalord
pintle wrote:i dont care how it is done, but the lag needs fixing. This seems to be to be a very easy way of fixing teh lag, and improving spring at the same time.

Could the person who makes this decision, if not willing to engage in this forum, PM me the reason or reasons against using these servers please.
betalord

the point is, you have so many people who want to help the project with new servers and stuff, and Any other open source project with problems that could be fixed by donations would accept them.

thats why this is not a real open source project :P, considering open source software runs only because of donations (time, servers, money) you would think this problem would have been resolved. i only posted this to bring into the open this problem which has been going on for a LONG TIME!
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

After the treatment betalord got after some people knew that the multimap packs wouldn't work the same way anymore, about a lobby client and server who are many times better than the one we had before betalord and that he is doing for free, i'm not surprised to not see him posting around anymore.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Torrasque wrote:Do better cpu/ram will really remove lag ?
Isn't the connection more important ? I don't think the lobby server take that much cpu power/ram.
The lobby server, plus this rather large forum, plus the svn, plus god knows what else....are evidently too much for it though.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

they aren't all on the same server
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

I don't understand involving the open source aspect in this discussion. (aside from Cup just trying to get people to read this :))

What I'm wondering is why the server has started lagging so much in the first place. It seems like it didn't start happening until this newest spring version; did hosts move, or some lobby code get changed (besides the obvious)? The svn, webpage, and lobby aren't on the same server; Hmm, well do they share the same bandwidth then?

I do think something needs to be done about the lag. The only argument I've seen for not moving to a better equipped computer is that you (spring devs, betalord, whoever) won't be in control of it. Well if having access to that machine isn't enough, why not using server.clan-sy.com (or whatever) to redirect to the 'new' lobby server. Then if for some strange reason the new host becomes unacceptable, switching back to the old server would be as easy as making server.clan-sy.com redirect back to the old servers. Personally I don't care who hosts the server (its not like they would get any recognition or monetary value for doing it), but anything done to improve the situation would be appreciated.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Tobi wrote:they aren't all on the same server
Then why does the forum go down when the lobby server crashes?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Because the traffic to server2 passes through server1? Think, peoples, think. 8)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

One of the problems is that Betalord has damn near dictatorship control of the lobby server/client, and he is never open to recieving help from anyone. It's a crappy attitude and pisses a lot of us off, but meh.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

IMO posting it here won't help anything, especially not your problem with betalord.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

lol while we are fixing lobby issues can we stop the overmaximizing and permanent minimzing please?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

jcnossen wrote:IMO posting it here won't help anything, especially not your problem with betalord.
I think that not posting about it won't resolve anything either.

Return to “General Discussion”