Absolute Annihilation 2.23 - Page 18

Absolute Annihilation 2.23

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Levelers are supposed to kill flashes/gators easily right? well they don't :)

Janus is worthless as well.

The gator turret get's stuck sometimes with quick turns and stuff.

And don't make flashes any faster nor make gators slower :)

Perhaps samsons/slashers should get a slight cost decrease?
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Levelers and Janus got their Impulse shock removed, so they're just like any other tank now.

Levelers and Janus can still dish out some damage, moreso for the Leveler, but they're just not as valuable as they once were.

If Levelers got their Impulse shock back or at least enough to shove a flash tank around a bit, that would be great.

Janus have always bothered me, their weapon is slow, they reload slow, and aren't really suited to dealing with fast moving units. Their Rockets also run into wreckage and hit friendly units... Sounds alot like the Banisher problem before it was changed to have a ramp effect to its rockets...

Banisher works 100% better now, but it still suffers from lack of Impulse shock, which was its Unique feature that made it shine.

If Janus could work slightly like the Banisher, using a javelin effect to its rockets, and also give its rockets a very slight tracking ability, it would boost the performance of the unit quite a bit, and no other changes to its damage or cost would really be necessary.

It would be the same unit, but it would work like its soposed to.
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

MR.D wrote: Levelers and Janus can still dish out some damage, moreso for the Leveler, but they're just not as valuable as they once were.
No, they are worthless.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I kicked some serious ass using 2 levelers, 4 raiders, and 4 instigators.

I took down 7 warriors, 5 flashtanks, and 1 bulldog in 1 combat group, the last bulldog ran away with around 150 hp left, and I still had tanks alive..

Took a bit of micro, but it worked.

Levelers are like really short range mini Goliaths.

Janus on the other hand would live to shoot 1 Salvo, and then most likely die.
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

MR.D wrote:I kicked some serious ass using 2 levelers, 4 raiders, and 4 instigators.

I took down 7 warriors, 5 flashtanks, and 1 bulldog in 1 combat group, the last bulldog ran away with around 150 hp left, and I still had tanks alive..
Imangine the Devastation you would have done with just gators (of the same metal costs)...
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

What about making Absolute Annihilation for all people free ?

Just change all names ! and make new models.... so people don t have to own TA and we don t have problems of legality any more.....

the gameplay will be the same... so why not do this ?

I mean a units name does mean nothing....

so think about this suggestion.
griph

Post by griph »

I agree about the impulse effect. The knockback of light units is what made the leveler an anti swarm tank, but without the impulse at 280 something metal it gets easily beaten by the same cost in gators/flashes.
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Is it me or does sonar not detect enemy subs anymore? Wasn't it supposed to? I had 1 sonar thingy and 2 torpedo static defenses, and an enemy sub was just shooting at them from inside the range of both sonar and torpedo launchers. Only when it wandered REAL close to one torpedo launcher did it show up (visual detection??) and got shot at.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

REVENGE wrote:Hey Caydr, I found some inconsistencies while looking through your files. First off, the East/West version of Hovercraft Platform wreckage are inconsistent with how things are, as they will give MORE metal than the original hovercraft platform when destroyed. Secondly, core still has a laser and an artillery hovercraft when arm does not anymore. Thought these are odd, just pointing them out for ya.
east/west wreckage isn't used, it's an artifact from OTA AA that should really be removed at some point. Same for artillery hovercraft.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

MR.D wrote:Janus have always bothered me, their weapon is slow, they reload slow, and aren't really suited to dealing with fast moving units. Their Rockets also run into wreckage and hit friendly units... Sounds alot like the Banisher problem before it was changed to have a ramp effect to its rockets...
The Janus used to be half-decent at assaulting fixed defences. The problems with it are largely the same as the Rocko, only moreso because its rockets are more powerful and fire more slowly. (Namely, Spring seems to love making them shoot very accurately at friendly units, while missing enemies by a mile and a half.)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Bhaal wrote:What about making Absolute Annihilation for all people free ?

Just change all names ! and make new models.... so people don t have to own TA and we don t have problems of legality any more.....

the gameplay will be the same... so why not do this ?

I mean a units name does mean nothing....

so think about this suggestion.
No, the whole thing would still be a TA derivative which makes it infringing.
10053r

Post by 10053r »

I don't think that is true. Freeciv is a "derivative" of Civilization as much as AA is a derivative of OTA. Freeciv is free enough to be given out free with ubuntu (probably debian as well, and debian is very picky about free). I am relatively sure that if all scripts, names, models, and sounds were redone to not have any OTA content then AA would be free.

Note that I am not a lawyer.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes but Freeciv wasn't created by taking Civ and poking and prodding until it was Freeciv. AA, on the other hand, is clearly a derivative of OTA.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Yes, and completely re-doing AA wouldn't be derivative of poking and prodding TA. It would be a completely new game. At most, it would be a derivative of a derivative, but not a derivative.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

For AA to be legal (IE: not a derivative work by copyright law) it would have to change so much that it wouldn't resemble AA. Things like the commander, sumo, krogothe, etc. would have to change completely (And not just a remodel).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm pretty sure the same is true for FreeCiv. These projects only stay alive for as long as the copyright holders let them (See GridWars, Freecraft and Quinn, to name some)

And I get the impression that what is derivative by law over there is dependent on how much the lawyers are paid :P
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I actually like Janusses (Jani?), they're like baby-banishers, pretty good at firing of a a giant rocket and running off, but yeah without their old impulse levelers are pretty crappy.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Any chance you can increase the implulse on the merl and dip back to what it was caydr?
They have such a small impulse now, it just doesnt seem, or look right to me, that huge missile explodes and does nothing unless you get a direct hit, they were alot more useful in 2.11, and alot more fun to use imo.

I also totally agree with noize on the levellers thing, in fact I think all of the land unit impluse values were better in 2.11 tbh.
NOiZE

Post by NOiZE »

We would like our impulses back or some other boost!

Buildings no longer give a impulse, so if you get rushed by a AK rush, and your lab explodes the AK's would die cause of the impulse and the rush is over, but now it continues!!!

I generally miss impulse on a ton of things :S
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

NOiZE wrote:We would like our impulses back or some other boost!

Buildings no longer give a impulse, so if you get rushed by a AK rush, and your lab explodes the AK's would die cause of the impulse and the rush is over, but now it continues!!!

I generally miss impulse on a ton of things :S
+69

impulses on units that NEEDED impulse should be left intact. This or increase their aoE or sth.

Return to “Game Releases”