Dual Core support?

Dual Core support?

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Keithus

Dual Core support?

Post by Keithus »

Is there dual core support for this baby? If not it would be great for those gamers who are slightly better endowed when it comes to multitasking...:P
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Core can already stand on even footing to Arm, why would we add Dual Core? That would be waaaaay overpowered :p.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Possibly.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

ROFL
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I second the cry for dule core support... mainly because I've had to disable dule core support on my graphics card just to make spring run. Which sux. Even if its not going to use both procesors, can it atlesat work on a dule core machine?

aGorm

(PS LOL at that)
HawkMan

Post by HawkMan »

meh spring shoudl work fine with dual core without disabling provided youhave allt heproper drivers.

I'm not sure but I think spring is allready somewhat multithreaded but may not be properly thread safe or set up to actually use multiple cores.
could be interesting to do like Alan Wake and such andsplit the different parts of the game into separate threads.

so AI have one or more threads wich is automatically assigned to one core alogn with general gameplay stuff, andphysics is assigned a separate core all of it's own.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Dont worry, I have all teh latest drivers, patches, ect...

Alot of comercila games also suffer from this so its not just spring, however if spring could be made to deal with it that would be one up on teh comercila games!

aGorm
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

think this is not a big problem, because so many people play spring and have two cores...

i have no problems, so you should check your system again especially if you have problems with nearly all games.

it should work on your machine without disabling anything...
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Duel core works fine with spring, myself and many other players use duel core processors without problems.

I occasionaly have to set affinity to a single core with some older programs, but thats about it, only take a few key presses/clicks :o
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

wait wait wait, Agorm? Dual core graphics card? You mean the 7950 GX2?

I knew it!

I thought they just jammed two 7900s together and expected it to work...
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

i have the 7950gx2 @ sli mode and all works fine :)

btw: 7950gx2 = 2*7900gt
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

What, hell no. Just a 7900 GT. I have an AMD X2 AM2 chip though, and as everyone that has one knows, you can get some weird stuff happening with incompatable stuff. I know my computer stuff so don't try and suggest Im getting somthing wrong.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... sc&start=0 Read to teh end of this thred and it will all make sence.

aGorm
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

I believe spring is threaded, or somehow works on both cores but usually one core isnt being fully used and the other is at max or they are both at half which is usually a sure sign of the game not using both cores to their full potential.
Mind you I dont really know what I am on about.
Last edited by Keithus on 13 Oct 2006, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

LOL, thats honest. Im pretty sure that it isn't threded though. If it was though.... pathing could have a whole CPU to itself... man that would be soooooo good.

aGorm
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Just wait until the quadcores are more common. I expect a full blown physics engine to run on one, rendering on the second, pathing on the third the fourth for everything else 8)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe.... Come on K8L, hurry up.

aGorm

Return to “Feature Requests”