31995 Build time

Sumo:
14000 Health
2020 Metal
33562 Energy
50975 Build time

1 sumo vs 3 fatboys => sumo just wins
1 moving reaper vs 1 fatboy => about equal
15 raiders vs 3 fatboys + 1 can => 1 fatboy & can survive (I included a can as this can often "finish off" units with little life, instead of wasting a fatboy shot on them)
1 can vs fatboy => can wins (suprisingly)
1 fatboy vs HLT => fatboy wins with ~3300 life left (Fatboy cannot outrange HLT)
1 fatboy vs 2 HLT => 1 HLT survives with ~1500 life left
For comparison: 1 sumo vs 2 HLT => sumo wins with ~10700 life left

From this i believe fatboy is underpowered/overpriced. People will say that it is more a "support unit" rather then a 1 man fighting machine (like a sumo) but even as a support unit it still sucks. There are a few advantages of it: slightly faster then sumo, slightly longer range, standard dropships are able pick them.

Basically the fatboy needs to be cheaper and/or be able to outrange a HLT.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

^I'd personaly be in favour of a price decrease, it is supposed to be an anti-swarm unit...
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

fatboy's more of a low range high aoe artillery that a straight attack unit, but yeah, it is very expensive.
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

the liche needs a bigger reload time. I just played a game and someone used a liche to drop about 10 nukes in about a minute. It should be like 30 seconds. Not like 5
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

I played on CC, and they missed everything...

I don't see any use of them in current form to be honest, at least not on CC:
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

@raneti - please post a replay of the problems you are reporting.

@cadyr - liking the new AA version, dispite a few small bugs that ppl have already mentioned.

How does everyone find the gradual reclaim? I personally love it ;-)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KDR_11k wrote:Not being attacked by subs is one of the advantages hovers have over amphibs. Subs are supposed to be death for everything in the water but useless against anything out of the water.
What's odd is that if the torpedo does hit the hover, it will detonate and kill it. I was using 2.11 hovers to take out Torp launchers once and found that out by accident when one of my destroyers wandered into range and the torp launcher shot at it but hit a hover by accident.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

Drone_Fragger wrote:the liche needs a bigger reload time. I just played a game and someone used a liche to drop about 10 nukes in about a minute. It should be like 30 seconds. Not like 5
In how many games out of 10 do you see a liche?

0.5 out of 10.

nuff said.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Actually I've seen them in tons of games recently, Liche has a real use and does a damn good job busting up the enemy.

Expensive, but a damn good bomber if used right.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

MR.D wrote:IMo, Hovercraft are an inbetween LVL-1 and LVL-2 class, without any of the benefits of LVL2's tech tree.

Hovers vs Hovers = fair
Hovers vs lvl1 ground forces = still in favor of stadard ground forces typically
Hovers vs Navy..= Forget about it
Hovers vs any defences = lost cause unless you walk them in slow and use the missle hovers to drill em first, which defeats the purpose.
Hovers have been buffed recently. I have even seem them take on cruisers and inflict casualties. Hovers vers land on supreme battlefield was a game winning move for me due to their ability to go around the heavy defence on the land bridge and stomp on a few llts and tanks that managed to intercept them as I pwned 3 opposing players econs.

I think hover as second plant is now a viable strategy on any map with a significant mix of both water and land. Which is an improvement in AA's variety.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Phatboyz are fine as they are, they arnt intended to take on the big guns, but they are fantastic at dealing with swarms, their high dmg large aoe plasma shot rips smaller units apart ^^
mehere101

Post by mehere101 »

IIRC its actually bashing them all together that does a lot of damage... Thats why I love high impulsefactor weapons
bwansy

Post by bwansy »

Some say the Liche us overpowered; some say it is useless. I say it perfroms differently on defferent maps, in different missions, in different hands. Everything has its strength and weakness. :wink:

P.S. It's a good plane. Don't waste it. (Not if it's coming for your base. :-) )
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

To the guy that was talking about explosions being too short, this is probably a result of your computer not rendering as fast as I was expecting. For instance, if your computer renders only 15 frames while the game has computed 30 frames, you'll only be seeing half the length of the explosion effect. As long as your FPS is 40-60+ or so when the explosion takes place, you see the whole thing.

The explosions are indeed short, but that's the nature of explosions generally. An explosoin is a sudden release of energy in the form of light, heat, various fancy particles, etc... you know what I'm talking about. The explosion only lasts as long as there's fuel for it, which in the case of most small and medium arms, is a split second.

For instance, light a firecracker on fire in a dark room...

Maybe I'm being too scientific about it. What I'm really trying to duplicate are OTA explosions, which IMO looked very nice and realistic.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

I'm not sure whether this is due to the new AA or not, but here's what I've been experiencing with torpedoes and depthcharge launchers :

Sometimes, when a shot misses/gets dodged/hits - it causes sync errors for me.

Just me - no one else.

Quite annoying.

Could it be the high velocity of the weapons or something?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Not my department, sorry.

Wow! Oldest bug ever... Apparently the core Intruder leaving-wake bug was posted about way back in the first AA thread on the second page, only just fixed a couple versions ago! :shock:
raneti

Post by raneti »

Although hovers cannot be attacked by sub torpedoes, they can be attacked by bomber plane torpedoes.....
good point

anyway in the case of remote torpedo detonation wich would hit a hover the explosion is effective because its caught between the water at least and send much of the explosion energy upwards, effective enough to brake in half a hover i think or at least damage it considerably.

I'm not deranged by the role of hovercrafts wich would be mostly surprize attacks and bridge head making. Just that with reality you lose the appeal of TA wich is the reason most people play it. IF it loses appeal it becomes just another rts wich you can dump. When AA is becoming the most playing mod also responsability should be taken because the people would associate spring with AA and if they become bored with it they will dump it. Wih the feeling of TA in heart the apeal can be maintained; for example the defender becoming an AA only, ok i got used with it alltough i don't agree is one thing but one version after another more things add up... like the icons placement(i like the bota 1.4 ones best they are so logically arranged, always fast to find). Many people don't have time to play every day memorizing everything so they relly on common-sense and they build subs for example when see the enemy is getting hovers. Theres a common sensae relationship between cruiser battleship and sub going on in today's rts game. afaik the game lacks carrier, never tried anti-nuke carrier for anything else than anti-nukes tough, it could fill the position of a repairing platform for example if it doesn't do it allready.
Thuds are pinching on the edge of getting overpowered but are still ok i guess(ask yourselves what they are overpowered relative to). As for the instigators i seen some1 build dragon teeth in front of an llt not long ago, the llt died before the instigators came in direct range position with it. Also i've seen plenty of instigator lasers hiting my flashes alltough there were dead tanks in between. Seems to me the people that counter this affirmation so badly are core players bitching for stuff to not be changed(of course); politics seem so lame to me... enough said about politicians.
Maybe I'm being too scientific about it. What I'm really trying to duplicate are OTA explosions, which IMO looked very nice and realistic.
good ^^, best thing i liked about the explosions is the debris flying all over the place and hiting stuff.
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

^ crackers, just crackers :shock:

Um, you 'see the enemy is building hovers so you build subs' why? You'd build ships, which do all kinds of horrible things to hovers, and can shoot at them even when the hovers hide on land...

Besides which, it seems to me that the mod makes a simple balance decision along the lines of 'hovers can't attack subs, and subs can't attack hovers' - seems fair enough :?

And you should know that any direct fire weapon (that includes the EMGs) will be able to fire over dragons teeth and wrecks as long as the target is sufficiently high - eg a llt.

Oh, and this 'global conspiricy of core players to make the core better than arm' of which you speak certainly can't be doing very well, since most players still play arm! :P The trouble is of course that your paranoia is causing you to view the world in a biased way (its natural, all humans tend to discard evidence that is not significant to them and remember evidence which is significant - ie which supports their views) and that is causing you to become even more sure about your bias, which in turn is causing you to talk in a biased way, which is getting you flamed on the forums, which is affirming your belief that all the core players are out to get you. ;)

So yeah, have fun with that ^_^ - I'm not going to try to change your mind cos obviously you would view that as 'another core deception' - I would suggest that you try playing core yourself (against humans) for a while; if you find them more suited to your style and like them better, then cool, play core. If you do really horribly, then at least you'll be reassured that they aren't overpowered :-)
Last edited by Soulless1 on 10 Oct 2006, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Soulless1 wrote:^ crackers, just crackers :shock:

Um, you 'see the enemy is building hovers so you build subs' why? You'd build ships, which do all kinds of horrible things to hovers, and can shoot at them even when the hovers hide on land...

Besides which, it seems to me that the mod makes a simple balance decision along the lines of 'hovers can't attack subs, and subs can't attack hovers' - seems fair enough :?

And you should know that any direct fire weapon (that includes the EMGs) will be able to fire over dragons teeth and wrecks as long as the target is sufficiently high - eg a llt.

Oh, and this 'global conspiricy of core players to make the core better than arm' of which you speak certainly can't be doing very well, since most players still play arm! :P The trouble is of course that your paranoia is causing you to view the world in a biased way (its natural, all humans tend to discard evidence that is not significant to them and remember evidence which is significant - ie which supports their views) and that is causing you to become even more sure about your bias, which in turn is causing you to talk in a biased way, which is getting you flamed on the forums, which is affirming your belief that all the core players are out to get you. ;)

So yeah, have fun with that ^_^

What about your maths skillz you are wrong cause you dont have his math skills!!!

Return to “Game Releases”